iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A beautifull three days of sawing!

Started by oakiemac, April 07, 2004, 10:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Well, I had a great three full days of sawing at a customers house. No rainbows like Arkansawyer had, but still a great time. The weather was almost perfect, the customer was a great guy, my 14 year old son stood shoulder to shoulder with me and we had a wonderful time of bonding. My son and I sometimes have difficulties understanding each other but working together outside sure closed a lot of gaps.

We cut 4900bdft of Oak, Cherry, Poplar, Maple and a few Hickorys in three 8 hour days. Let me tell you, we were working hard but the time just flew by. A funny moment came yesterday when we went to eat our lunch but found that the owners dog had beat us to it. We were then compensated with peanut butter sandwiches.
It was for experiences like this that I started sawmilling. :)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Norm

Glad to hear it oakie, 14 years old is a tough time for a young man. Too young for some stuff too old for other, sure does make a dad smile to spend time with em. :)

Kirk_Allen

Sounds like you had a great three days. Its always good to be able to have you kids with you.  I wish my son would have been with me Saturday cutting.  I think it would have done him some good!

I was in Buchanan, MI for a day of cutting.  q-saw Red Oak, White Oak, Cottonwood, Red Maple, Ginko and Ash.  Around 1600 BF.  Good day with good people.  Looks like I get to go back in the fall and do some steel head fishing.  The land owner has property that sits on the river and he said the fishing is great so next time I have to leave some time for fishing!

UNCLEBUCK

that does sound like a good day everyone !  ;)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

oakiemac

Hey Kirk, Buchanan is only a few minutes from where I was sawing. What are you doing in my neck of the woods? Don't ya know that I have exclusive rights to this territory? ;D
Next time drop on by and say hi!
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Paul_H

I enjoy working with my son Tom (15) He is getting really handy at loading and unloading the kiln with or without me there.It's been a blessing the past month or so to have his help while I'm doing other things.He is becoming my right hand man on the planer too.

Okie,
I'm glad that you have a chance to work with your son too.He might not say too much to you,but I'll bet he is telling his buddies all about sawing logs with you.

Kids are cool
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

redpowerd

so cool you just want to grab em by the scruff and say"what the #&*% are you thinkin?'!(sometimes) do you know what this will do to your mother?":D

thats the same time you explain to em how to keep mother happy :D

i got a boy thats eight thats my off-bearer
likes his job and sometimes gets me millin when i dont want to
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Paul_H

Quoteso cool you just want to grab em by the scruff and say"what the #&*% are you thinkin?'!(sometimes) do you know what this will do to your mother?":D

Red,
I've been on both sides of the fence on that one.My poor Dad  :D
He used to say "your times coming,wait till you have kids and you'll know what I mean"

or.."I could cheerfully choke you right now" >:(

Now I know what he meant :-/

Dad's are cool too ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Stan

Yes grandchildren are your revenge on your children. You spoil 'em outrageously, then hand 'em back to their parents and say this 'uns wet.  ;D
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

chet

QuoteWell, I had a great three full days of sawing at a customers house. No rainbows like Arkansawyer had, but still a great time. The weather was almost perfect, the customer was a great guy, my 14 year old son stood shoulder to shoulder with me and we had a wonderful time of bonding. My son and I sometimes have difficulties understanding each other but working together outside sure closed a lot of gaps.

A day spent sawing with your kids is a rainbow in it's self.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

oakiemac

Percy

Heya Oakie
14 is about the tuffest age(they have the "Built In Encyclopedia" syndrome) they think they know everything :D. You couldnt have picked a better thing to do with him than sawmilling. My son Warren is 23 and still helps me at the mill alot. Just workin together, shoulder to shoulder , as you put it, sharin the load,cussin the dog that ate yer lunch :D :D :D, is a respectfull thing in both directions(for you and him). Can only make you closer.
Nowadays I watch Warren workin and realize somtimes he's goin easy on me ;D ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!