iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New use for Old tool

Started by Slab Slicer, February 18, 2013, 09:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slab Slicer

Found this at an auction a few years ago. It's been hanging in my shop with my two man saw collection. I was thinking about sharpening some chains, but don't have a sharpener, and putting each one on the saw was a pain. A vise would work, but the jaws on mine are only about 4 inches. Then it hit me. I could hold the chain in this, and sharpen away. I'll bet Henry Disston didn't think it would be used for this.  :D

2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

isawlogs

smiley_lit_bulb smiley_lit_bulb great idea, I got two of those, one is getting out of its hiding place.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

shinnlinger

Nice!  I too have one of those hanging in the barn.  Won't be hanging for long!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

DaleK

Nice. I've been thinking about cutting the sprocket ends of a couple of old bars and putting them on the ends of the jaws of an old 6" vise I have to make an adjustable jig for sharpening different lengths of  chain off the saws. Screw the vise down tight for the shortest chains, open it up for the longer ones.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

HolmenTree

Quote from: Slab Slicer on February 18, 2013, 09:13:10 PM
Found this at an auction a few years ago. It's been hanging in my shop with my two man saw collection. I was thinking about sharpening some chains, but don't have a sharpener, and putting each one on the saw was a pain. A vise would work, but the jaws on mine are only about 4 inches. Then it hit me. I could hold the chain in this, and sharpen away. I'll bet Henry Disston didn't think it would be used for this.  :D

I have one of these carpenter handsaw sharpening vises too. As a kid I watched my Dad file his handsaws in this type of vise for carpentry.
Then when I later got into timbersport competitions, I filed my sawchain for years with this type of vise. It offers excellent clearance for the file when filing square ground chain with the chisel bit file.
For filing racechain the file stroke has to go downward into the cutter at a sharp angle sometimes [depending on the wood species] at an angle over 45°
Another benifit of this vise is each cutter is held solid in place while stroking the file over the cutters.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HiTech

I just use an old bar and stick it in a vise. Then drape the chain over it. Use a bungy cord to keep the chain snug on the bar. Hook it to the bottom of the chain. Works good.

Al_Smith

Actually I kind of wish I had one myself .Might be handy plus the fact I've got a Henry Disston miter saw that must be 100 years old that is getting dull .Needs filed and reset .

Fine well built old tool just needs a little attention .Never filed a hand saw in my life but I don't think I'll learn any younger .

Thank You Sponsors!