iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut a little wood this weekend

Started by xalexjx, February 18, 2013, 07:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xalexjx

The c5 got some hours on her, it was cold up here in upstate ny -6 on sunday and -2 this morning, high of about 10 degrees... with one cutting and limbing and me skidding were averaging about 10-14 cords a day, every thing is getting sold as fire wood and a few veneer logs

Logging and Processed Firewood

Jeff

Do you shove it up in the piles with the skidder and hire out the trucking? Or do you truck it yourself?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

xalexjx

nah, been running out of room (today) so stacked some up with an excavator, some of it gets pushed back with the skidder. We will haul some of it this week with a tandem dump truck if the weather cooperates, my uncle owns a fire wood business and runs it all through a processor, his order was around 500 cords this year for me.

breederman

It looks like you havve more snow than we do. Where in the north country are you at?
Together we got this !

xalexjx

middle of the adirondacks, theres about 2 ft in the woods when I get off the frozen trail the skidder chatters pretty bad

Woodhauler

If i pulled into a wood yard and seen piles like that , i would turn around and drive home. Glad you haul it yourself!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

lumberjack48

You can deck and push it even with the C5, and get near perfect piles. The landing man helps keep it straight with a pickaroon, also throwing all the short pieces out of the pile.
Always drive around the night before in the timber your going to log the next day. The next day its froze up where you drove and makes for easier felling and skidding.

Nice looking C5, keep the pictures coming of what your doing.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

nedly05

Looks like your having fun, how's your spring looking?

xalexjx

Quote from: nedly05 on February 20, 2013, 07:26:06 PM
Looks like your having fun, how's your spring looking?

looks like it going to be another slow one this year, only two new house sites and one small 8 lot subdivision with town spec rd, water and power.. last year we built 4 miles of new winter road for a landholding's company and they were looking to do another 4-10 this year if their budgets allowed.. but either way another relatively slow year..  :-\

cutter88

Quote from: Woodhauler on February 19, 2013, 04:08:05 PM
If i pulled into a wood yard and seen piles like that , i would turn around and drive home. Glad you haul it yourself!

LOL u took the thoughts rioght out of my head my truckers say i make nice piles.. its because i ran self loader truck for a long time and no what its like to pull into a jack pot landing  :D
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

xalexjx

these piles a little better? been trying to cut the bends and twists out of everything for ease of running it across the fire wood processor, plus i planned on piling everything to get it out of the way untill we process it in the spring.. It needs to stop snowing here, at the 2 foot mark now and calling for 6-12 now through thursday..

MEloggah

hell with the wood, i wanna see that treefarmer 8)

loggah

You know anybody in Newcomb with the nickname of "TUBBY" that  owned a c6 Treefarmer some years back a friend of mine worked logging with him a while back out in Conifer . I met him 15 years ago but cant remember his name !! :-[ real nice guy. got to take a while loading that truck with an excavator, you must have patience. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

I use to hear my trucker complain about the guys with a skidder that would drive over thier piles and start to spin about half way across. Not many guys around now with just a skidder and a chainsaw.
It's good to see you bringing out the small stuff too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

xalexjx

Quote from: loggah on February 27, 2013, 11:18:30 AM
You know anybody in Newcomb with the nickname of "TUBBY" that  owned a c6 Treefarmer some years back a friend of mine worked logging with him a while back out in Conifer . I met him 15 years ago but cant remember his name !! :-[ real nice guy. got to take a while loading that truck with an excavator, you must have patience. Don

I know him very well, the excavator has a hydralic thumb so loading takes no time it all, (into a tandem dump) we have a continuos rotation grapple for it but it would take more time to put it on then its worth for the 75 cords we will have to load. Our shop has an outdoor wood boiler so all the small stuff gets cut up for that.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Timbercruiser

Nice pics nice to see the old C5 working hard treefarmers are pretty nice machines

xalexjx

woodmaster 5500, an older one close to 10 years old now

loggah

Well tell Tubby that i was the guy that came out with Mike Berry and helped Mike change his clutch on his 230 timberjack when Mike was working on Bruce Haynes job about 20 miles west of Conifer. I think Jeff Masters was working out there also running loader. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

xalexjx

well got everything from before hauled. So now cutting a mix of hardwood, poplar and spruce and balsam. Roads are posted so I guess ill just keep piling it up

ended up getting a new truck two weeks ago too  ;D

still about two foot of snow in the woods too, but its starting to break up now

xalexjx

I have the gearmatic winch, when not using it do you guys leave it in neatral or free spool?

xalexjx

little project i did last week, not so much cutting wood for production but did a 2 acre clear cut using the ole c5 and moved about 3500 yards of dirt and built 1/3 mile of logging road..

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

xalexjx

Now just have to go back with a skid steer/ harley rake for final cleanup, ;)

thecfarm

That first picture looks like mine place,lots of BiG rocks.
Than the second picture I can see some off to the side,but none in the middle.Good job.

Thank You Sponsors!