iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita chainsaws questions

Started by jocco, February 18, 2013, 02:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jocco

Yes i get they are merged with Dolmar :D But what do they do for a dealer network??? ::) Lots of places sell makita tools but not the saws. smiley_dunce Anyone have any wisdom on this?
You may check out but you will never leave

John Mc

Dealer network is very spotty in Vermont.  I would have bought a Dolmar a few years ago, but did not like the only dealer in my area. That dealer has since stopped selling Dolmar (and I believe is out of the chainsaw business altogether).

Too bad.  They make some nice saws.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jocco

I have only seen them in catalogs and on the net. Dolmar dealers are spotty also atlest here.
You may check out but you will never leave

Al_Smith

I'm not certain if it was a merger or if  Dolmar made the things the whole time .

Last spring my neighbor had his Makita break out a bar stud from loaning the thing out and screwed up the crankcase .I put him on to Scott at Chainsawr .Scott send him a case from a Dolmar which I replaced for him .Orange bottom end and blue top now .Same saw ,56 cc or some such size,good little cutter .
Now I might add that later on in the story the saw spit a chunk of main bearing up the transfer port and nicked a piston which was an oversite on my part .The crankshaft rod bearing was questionable in the replacement case .Should have changed it to begin with ,oops .

So it was changing out the crankshaft from the original Makita to the Dolmar lower end and a new piston ring .I'll have to say it was one of the most simple crankcase splits I've ever done the way Dolmar built the case as oppossed to Stihl with shrink fit bearing pockets .

cuterz

Dolmar is owned by Makita, so Makita saw are blue Dolmars. Both are very nice but no dealers near me is the deal breaker. >:(

Al_Smith

A very valid point .Dolmar was never a major player here either .

Mooseherder

The orange depot used to have them in their rental area down here.
I haven't been in that section for a few years and don't know if that is still the case but I'm in the parking lot right now and will go check. ;D

Al_Smith

:D I'll be quite honest about it I am one bigoted old coot when it comes to Asian companys names on products .However some times the danged things aren't even made by the company in question a fact I wasn't aware of until the last few years .

My wife bless her heart bought me a Ryobi three HP plunge router years back .I didn't say a word .Then I discovered that a Ryobi, Craftsman and Frued where all the same except what color the case was and I think make in South Carolina .It's hard to know the players without a score card these days .

Mooseherder

Yep, the orange boys still have the Makita chainsaws for rental.
They had 4 on the shelf, a couple were 6241s.  I wouldn't want to hold it up all day long.  There was a couple of smaller ones also.  You can rent them for 4 hours at 43 dollars or 67 for the day.  They're kinda goofy looking but they apparently have a long standing relationship with the depot folks.  That says a lot in my book, especially for rentals.
Most of the other tools they had for rental was the same price as the chainsaw.

Thank You Sponsors!