iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bedroom Set

Started by ben5398, February 17, 2013, 11:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben5398

I am looking to turn the black walnut trees I have posted about in the milling section eventually into a bedroom set once the lumber is milled and is dry.  I will not be doing the work myself as I am not that good at woodworking, though I love the work and wish I was good enough.  I plan on taking it to Arthur Illinois to have the work done, it is the nearest Amish community.  I was thinking 60% 4/4 10% 4/6 and 30% 8/4 leaving anything over 20" wide as single slabs.  With that being said I would like to know about how many bf I would need, and if there is anything I should know.  My great, great grandfather started the walnut grove and I want to make this into a significant set that will be passed down in our family much as the house his father built has been passed down.  Im looking to make the following:

Queen Bed (Head Board, Foot Board and Walnut Runners)
Two Night stands (both taller ones as wall space is a premium)
Two Dressers
Chest for blankets
Maybe a desk if there is enough money and wood left over

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither.
A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
Friedman, Milton
1912-2006

T Welsh

ben5398, With out seeing a design or picture of the set its hard to tell what you would need as in the various thickness,s of the working stock. The bed frame will need larger thickness as in 4x4 stock for posts and 6/4 for frame. All the rest of the pieces will use 4/4. Post a picture of what you are thinking and we can see whats needed. Tim

WDH

I am thinking that you will need 500 - 600 board feet.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ben5398

Quote from: WDH on February 18, 2013, 07:34:02 AM
I am thinking that you will need 500 - 600 board feet.
Friedman, Milton
1912-2006

ben5398

Friedman, Milton
1912-2006

ben5398

Sorry Im not doing  well posting pictures.
Friedman, Milton
1912-2006

thecfarm

Pictures look good now.  ;D   It's nice that you can do something like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: ben5398 on February 18, 2013, 09:41:53 AM
Sorry Im not doing  well posting pictures.
Ben
Your pics are very small to begin with. Don't think the Forum can increase their size. That has to be done on your end.
Do the pics come from your camera? Or a scanner?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ben5398

I got them off the internet as a set my wife found and liked, we were thinking something similar to that set.  I want something that is classic, not over the top.  I know they are small, a larger version was only available in GIF form and I was not going to mess with GIF.  It looks like after selling lumber to cover the cost I should end up with around 1800-2300 bf of black walnut left to use.  I would assume that is enough to make a couple sets similar to those pictured and discussed.   Ill try to find a better picture.
Friedman, Milton
1912-2006

beenthere

QuoteIll try to find a better picture

Prolly not necessary, as the cutting yield the Amish need will somewhat depend on the log quality of your walnut trees. Hard to say how many logs to process to meet the needs for your furniture pieces. At each stage of processing (felling, bucking, sawing, drying, cut-up, etc.) will include some reduction in yield.
Could you start with the Amish to find out how much they would need to make your items? Maybe they'd even barter their cost in supplied green walnut lumber. That might make it simpler on your end.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

I am always surprised at the amount of lumber it takes to build a project. I am picky about lumber layout and selection because i build custom furniture.
Beenthere is right with losing lumber along each step of the path from tree to furniture. Some boards just don't make the cut. Your 2000bf, though, should be plenty for the pieces you mentioned. Your craftsmen can fill in wood as needed if you come up short. They an also use secondary woods for hidden parts if needed.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!