iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickie Quiz Jackpot #9

Started by mesquite buckeye, February 17, 2013, 07:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

What tree am I ??? ??? ???

smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce :snowfight1: logrite_cool logrite_cool

smile_juggle dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! steve_smiley blindsmiley :rifle: smiley_horserider smiley_horserider
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jay C. White Cloud

I think it's a hard wood...possibly fruit or nut?
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Dave Shepard

Is that shrub in the background a subliminal message? :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 17, 2013, 09:19:14 PM
Is that shrub in the background a subliminal message? :)

That would indeed be tricky, good idea. The tree in the background is an orange tree.

And not the wood. popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley

smiley_book2_page smiley_biggrin01 bike_rider bike_rider bike_rider smiley_whip smiley_whip smiley_whip

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

WDH

I am sticking with persimmon because of the black nodes.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on February 17, 2013, 10:00:13 PM
Persimmon.

Thanks a lot. Smashed the poor Quickie Quiz Jackpot before I could get in the clues.   smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw

We have a winner.......

smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce dadgum you, Charlie!

mesquite buckeye

I thought that would make it easy for anyone familiar with it. Way to go. :(

WDH

It is in the ebony family.  If you cut a small branch at a node (where another branch had branched off , then the node (where a bud once was) will be black at the pith.  You can see that well in your sample.

Ever noticed that persimmon was semi-ring porous?

mesquite buckeye

Also very hard to dry without pretzeling.  Nice after that. The pores are visible. I'll post the photos of the closeup ls. I thought it might take a little longer. The wood is from a 25" dbh tree from central MO.

Jay C. White Cloud

Shoot, I new I should have stayed close by...lost another one.  I had just a notion that it was a fruit or nut tree, but got distracted.  Good job WDH!!! ;D Way to go.  I had never looked to closely at Persimmon before, thank's for the info.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

giant splinter

I was leaning on Macadamia nut but would have missed it for sure, Good Job WDH way to go.
roll with it

WDH

You were more in my wheelhouse with this one  :).

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on February 18, 2013, 07:17:58 AM
You were more in my wheelhouse with this one  :).

I will sneak them in now and then. I do have that timber in Missouri, after all..... ;D

mesquite buckeye

More closeup views of persimmon, Diospyros virginiana

WDH

Nice pics of a very nice wood.  I have a big one in one of my hardwood bottoms that will end up in boards one day.  It is a boy tree, so it does not produce fruit. 

mesquite buckeye

Acts like eucalyptus when it dries. Tons of movement, lots of irregular shrinkage, some cracking. If I did it again, I would precut the logs, seal the ends, then mill them several months later into cants that I would dry before milling into final boards. I ended up with a lot of waste and very thin boards on a lot of mine. Quarter sawn boards did better.....

I have a lot of them at my farm, maybe 10 or so. I've pruned them all up and given them room to grow, so they will end up straight and clear. This one we cut was a gnarly one.

WDH

The one that I am watching is 18" in diameter and no limbs for 30 feet.  Persimmon is generally shade intolerant and self prunes well in a forest environment.

mesquite buckeye

Mine have been growing fast with room and crown raising. I have one tall, thin one deep in the woods growing so slow it's hard to see any growth at all...... 8) 8) 8) 8)

That one (yours) should be nice when you get around to cutting it. 8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!