iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need advice about buying a new stihl

Started by barak, February 17, 2013, 05:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barak

Hello
I want to buy a new stihl chainsaw and I'm a bit confused.
I need the saw to work about twice a week for about 1 hour, and about every 2 or 3 months I need it for a 3-6 hours work.
I had an MS 180 which I bought 2'nd hand. It was awful; I couldn't work with it more than 20 minutes on a row.
I was told that the problem was that the MS 180 is from the compact series (Homeowner saws), and these saws are not built to work more than 2 hours a day, and even one time of long working period could destroy the saw.
I went to several dealers, and I got different answers from them.
The first one told me that I can use the MS 271, but the MS 250 would be more than enough for me because it can work many hours on a row day after day.
The second dealer told me that the best for me is the MS 270 or the MS 271. He told me that the MS 250 would be good too, and the MS 211 wouldn't be strong enough.
The third one told me that the MS 211 would be the best for me, and the MS 250, MS 270 and MS 271 would be all unnecessarily heavy and expensive for me.
Another two dealers told me that all of the saws from the compact series (Homeowner saws), including the MS 250, could be damaged from a work of few hours on a raw (more than 1 or 2 hours), and they recommended me to get one of the farm & ranch saws or better than that to buy a not stihl saw which is chipper and lighter than the 270/271. One recommended the Stiga SP 43 and the other recommended the Tanaka 4500.
As I said, I got confused. I want to buy a good saw that would be reliable, yet I don't want to buy an unnecessarily heavy and expensive saw.
Does anyone have a good advice for me? 

p.s.
A friend gave me an advice: "buy the MS 211 or the MS 250, and in any case make a 30 minutes break after every 1 hour of work" what do you think about that?

DaleK

What will you be cutting with it? Softwood, hardwood, lumber? I got a new MS 441 last fall, I'm happy with it but it may or may not be more saw than you want.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

NWP

What will you be cutting with it?  Ex. Small trees/brush or larger logs. Is this somewhat production based use or stuff around the house?

Oh, and welcome to the Forum.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

barak

I will be cutting woods for heating. Mainly small trees that fell down, but every now and than some big trees.
I have to say that my budget is limited, and I also prefer a not heavy saw if it is good enough.

Ianab

Well for a start, your MS180 had some sort of fault. Any saw should be able to run continuously. But on a small cheap saw like a 180 it's might cost more to troubleshoot and fix than the saw is worth.

How long it should last is another question. Use a homeowner grade saw like that all day for 3 months, and it's probably worn out. Using it only 2 hours a day max, it's should last for a few years. Those little "home owner" saws are really for gardening, cleaning up an occasional fallen tree or limb, pruning etc. A pro saw should run for years, even used all day every day.

Now what to buy?

For serious firewood cutting I would not go below the MS271. That's the smallest that Stihl class as "Farm and Ranch" in your market. Not as good as the pro saws, but if you want to spend the whole weekend lopping up firewood, it can handle it. Going bigger is probably overkill for what you are doing, but that's often a matter of perspective. My "small" saw is 60cc (MS310), and my "go to" saw is a 79cc Dolmar. But we often have bigger trees to deal with.

Other brands? Yes they are an option. Depends on the local dealer support usually. But lots of other companies make decent chainsaws, often cheaper than Stihl.

There should be no reason to "rest" a saw, although you might want to rest the operator. When you get tired, that's when you make mistakes

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Caloren

Barak,
I use an MS310, an 028 and a MS 170. We own 16 acres in the Sierra's and I use the 310 and 028 to cut down the larger trees and the 170 to trim the branches. We have a lot of brush [second growth tan oak and madrone] and I have the 170 right on the ground clearing this stuff so all the dirt has helped me wear out a couple of bars. but the little 170 still runs fine after about 6 years of this use. I have cut down 12" diameter trees with the 14" 170 [ which is to big for the saw] just because the larger saws were way down the hill. When cutting fire wood [only 6 or 8 cords a year] I use the 170 up to 6" diameter, then use one of the other saws. To cut to the chase: I've used the 170 several hours a day with no problems. I use it twice as much as my other saws.
For light use like you describe I think you needn't worry about homeowner vs pro saw, but you say you have an occasional larger tree so the 170 - 180 might be a little too small. Choose a saw appropriate for the largest tree you will have to cut.
Ian makes some good points, and he has a LOT more experience than I do!  ::)
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

drobertson

I have to agree with the others,  if it were me, I would just grab a few and see how they feel to you, anything in the mid 20's should be fine, maybe with the 16" bar,  just find one that fits you, and the need,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Is the price you pay for a saw an accurate way to determine quality and pro/nonpro.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ianab

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 17, 2013, 09:09:26 PM
Is the price you pay for a saw an accurate way to determine quality and pro/nonpro.?? Frank C.

To some extrent.

Like any saw that's $99.95 IS NOT going to be a "pro" saw.  :D

Size isn't an indication, as saws like the MS201 are a 35cc pro grade saw. But they certainly aren't cheap...

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JuniperBoss

Quote from: Ianab on February 17, 2013, 06:41:22 PM
Well for a start, your MS180 had some sort of fault. Any saw should be able to run continuously. But on a small cheap saw like a 180 it's might cost more to troubleshoot and fix than the saw is worth.
I can say from experience that a few hours with the 170 can and will, in fact, destroy the engine. Just that long cutting trees that are too big, or using it at high throttle for too long can mess it up bad. Ive heard this from several people. My own saw was destroyed after just an hour or two running at too high of a throttle for too long. Barak, do not buy any homeowner saw from stihl for firewood, especially big firewood. Get a farm and ranch saw, something bigger but still pretty small. An ms 290, which I myself use, is a great saw but you might even go a bit smaller than that. Like Ianab said, perhaps the smallest of the farm/ranch saws would fit you best.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Furu

The older 026 model replaced by the 260 then 261 was/is a pro saw both in name and in fact.  I have one that I have been using for smaller work for 20 years and it is a thing of beauty.  I use my 460 for the larger stuff.  Not certain but the 230, 250  were more the homeowner saws not meant for longer high use work and the 271, 290 were classed as a mid range saw.

Ianab

Well yeah, hours of serious cutting with a MS170 or 180 would be cruel and unusual punishment  :D

What I mean is it should run fine for light duty stuff. Limbing / pruning like it's designed for. Blocking up a big log? That is asking a bit much.

Ian

JuniperBoss

Oh, I see what you mean. It really is cruel and unusual punishment :D. Limbing, however, is fine and if you don't work it hard it can last for years.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

mad murdock

Unless you are tied to a specific brand of saw because of local availability or dealer support, become colorblind, there are a lot of good saws out there and they aren't all orange and white, IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ianab

Thinking about it, cutting firewood can be harder on a saw than professional tree felling.

If you are dropping trees, the saw runs wide open for maybe 30 sec. Then it gets a rest. Then you go and limb and buck the tree. Shorts bursts of cutting. 5 min later you are walking to the next tree and starting again. But probably only 60 sec of full throttle cutting?

Now cutting firewood, you have a log sitting there, and you are sawing it into 12-18" chunks, one after the other. Full throttle 90% of the time for a whole 5 or 10 mins?

The MS291 - 391 range saws can handle this, at least for a while. "Home owner" grade saws? Cruel and unusual punishment" springs to mind again.

Ian

ladylake

Quote from: mad murdock on February 18, 2013, 12:45:51 AM
Unless you are tied to a specific brand of saw because of local availability or dealer support, become colorblind, there are a lot of good saws out there and they aren't all orange and white, IMO.

Right, small Echo or Dolmar saws are built way better than homeowner Stihl saws for about the same cost. If you have to get a Stihl I'd get a used 026 or MS260 in good shape.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

s grinder

Picked up a MS261 with a 16' bar just before Christmas,gave it a good weeks work last week helping out my friend in the tree removal business,nice saw but not cheap,also have a MS660 for my stump grinding business,like Inab said firewood,is tough on a saw,and so is cutting down stumps.

barak

Well the 261 is over my budget, the 271 is a bit heavy for me (I'm not a big Guy), the 250 is rated Homeowner... hard decision. Mybe I'll go for the "not a Stihl saw", but which one?
p.s. it is first time for me in this forom so thanks alot for all the help :laugh:

lumberjack48

You can take a 250 and work it 8 hrs straight, it don't need no breaks as long as its adjusted right and ran right by the owner.

The only thing that will burn a saw up is if the chain is dull or the carb set to lean and if theres a air leak. [ of course no oil in the gas will to ]

These dealers that are telling you, you have to give a saw a rest, i don't know what to saw, never heard of such a thing. :P
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barak

According to what you say the 250 will be just good for me, as long as I will maintain it properly. Well that's what the two first dealers told me.
The advice about giving the saw a rest was given by a non pro friend... ::)

lumberjack48

The Echo and Dolmar are good saws, buy the one that'll give you the best warranty, and you feel you'll get the best service from.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

John Mc

What ever saw you get, buy it from a real dealer who can service it (and knows what he is doing).  Many saws are coming from the factory set way too lean.  This helps them meet the EPA requirements, but can burn up a saw pretty quickly (especially on long, hard cuts).  Have the dealer check and adjust the carb mixture for you, and then bring it back in to be checked again after you've run 5 or 6 tanks of gas through it.

Use fresh premium gas (non-ethanol gas if you can find it), and a good quality mix oil. Once the gas gets more than a few weeks old, dump it in your lawnmower or car and get fresh gas for your saw. (You might get away with using older gas, but why take the chance? A chainsaw is a tough application for an engine. Use that stale gas in something that's not pushed so far to the limit.)

Keep the chain sharp - a dull chain makes both the saw and the operator work harder.

Failure to follow the above guidelines (and others may have more tips to add) will contribute as much or more to the premature death of a saw than the brand or model.  I'm not saying to buy a junk saw... get the best you can afford, but whatever you get, take care of it properly.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

gspren

There is always more than one way to look at it, 17 years ago I needed a saw and didn't cut much more than you do but I really like good tools so I got a 044 with a 20 inch bar. The neighbor thought I was nuts because he uses cheap saws but  now 17 years later he has bought 3 cheap saws and spent more money than I did and his newest cheap saw won't begin to cut like my old 044. The cost per year of a pro saw is often lower if you just take care of it plus you get the job done faster.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

ladylake

Don't go by the Stihl name, a MS250 is a cheap saw not the cheapest but not built near as good as a Echo or Dolmar in that size and price range plus the MS250 is real hard to work on, high priced parts, might not have a adjudtable carb or oiler.  Stihl makes real good Pro saws but real spendy.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

John Mc

Quote from: gspren on February 19, 2013, 08:06:00 AM
...The cost per year of a pro saw is often lower if you just take care of it plus you get the job done faster.

Agreed, those folks that don't take care of their tools properly, are probably better off with the cheap saw.  If you're going to junk a saw, it might as well be one that was junk to start with.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!