iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not a good idea...:)

Started by sprucebunny, February 17, 2013, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

to leave me home alone with a malfunctioning appliance and cabin fever...
My washing machine has been making clunking noises, lately... like there was a couple short chunks of strapping in there.
An internet search turned up an instruction pdf and a video about replacing the bearing and seals that hold the inner tub in place for my model. So glad I bought something popular  ;D
I had to remove the bathroom door and trim and hinges to pull it out. I'll design the next house differently.

There's not supposed to be all that black gook in there.

The seal is what fails. Bearing are dead, too I'm sure. 

Not much left in there... I'd say this was a successful "exploded view"  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A good used washer is about .20 BF.  :D I believe I would go shopping.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DaleK

Looks like time for a new belt too. Any bets how many parts you'll have left on the floor when it's put back together?
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jeff. I have seen this before but this is one video I could watch every week for the rest of my life.  :D :D :D

Thanks for bring it back.......take notes SpruceBunny.  :D

Chuck White

If all else fails, check the trap for SAWDUST.  ;D

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

I don't reckon I will ever complain about overloading the washer again :D :D  what a show,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

That video is hilarious!! Is that a small trolley jack that he throws in there around 3:45?  :D :D :D

Roxie

Sprucebunny, I have complete and total confidence in you!   :)

Say when

sprucebunny

Thanks, Roxie  :)

Great video, Jeff. I'm thinking that the bearings might need replaced on that one, too.  :D

For once there was no change or screws in the trap... usually have to take that apart every year. Good opportunity to clean it all up from my nasty water.

I was very careful with the screws... have them in little baggies...seperated but not labeled....  :D

isawlogs

I have confidence that it will go back together if and when you you get the parts. I do know that if there ever is re-incarnation, I do not want to come back as one of your apliances.....  ever.  :P   :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fishpharmer

Sprucebunny, you'll have your machine running like new.  The other one...not!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Well, with the parts list/diagram and the internet you'll soon have it patched up and the house put back in order. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

What a brave thing to do, Joan  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brucer

Mine looked like that back in December (including the wood bits). The stupid thing decided not to spin. Agitate, yes, but not spin. It would just sit there and buzz. The annoying thing is that it happened on laundry day, and only after the tub was full of water and wet clothes :D.

I had a lot of "experts" tell me I needed a new motor, or a new transmission. I ignored the advice. We have an excellent small business in town that will order in any part that's still available. Between him and the online parts lists, I was able to get what I needed.

In the end I diagnosed the problem -- a contact in the timer wasn't supplying any voltage when it should. That meant the motor start circuit wasn't working in the "spin" direction, hence the buzzing sound from the motor. Replaced the timer and everything was fine. Just out of curiosity, I opened up the old timer and whatdaya know. Out dropped a broken contact arm.

If I'd listened to the experts I would have replace the motor, then the transmission, and finally the timer.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sprucebunny

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone  :)

I ordered the bearings and seal this morning: $80 vs $250 for the rear outer tub half from Sears or $750 for a new washer....nothing used, around here.

Now, I need to clean the parts so.... I need to fix my pressure washer  :D

isawlogs

helllo!.....  Its winter out there, your pressure washer going to throw ice pellets out to the parts like a sand blaster?   ;D   :-*  That should help with da fixin'  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

OneWithWood

Ever notice how things seem to get fixed in bunches?  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: OneWithWood on February 18, 2013, 12:50:57 PM
Ever notice how things seem to get fixed in bunches?  :D

You are right OWW. That's because as things break we say....ah, I'll fix it later. And when later finally gets here, we have nothing that works.  :D :D :D

sprucebunny

Or... some of us have days or weeks or months when everything we touch breaks..... isn't that right, Marcel ???  ;D

Got the pressure washer fixed. The little switch that shuts it off when pressure from the hose is not present wasn't working. Corroded.

And speaking of corroded...
This is the inner tub ( basket)...the one with the 25 year warranty

And this is the area around the hub of the shaft. Those dots of light are holes...that it did not come with...

It this part fails ( it's called a spider) they won't honor the warranty and it's not sold separately. No more Sears, Maytag, Frigidaires for me  :rifle: Basket with spider $280 plus shipping, of course.

Got the old bearings out of the outer tub.... missing some balls... guess they got chewed up and caused all the black gook.

I hope to get it all back together and use it til it breaks again... but just in case, I have a new washer picked out  :) For some reason the store won't let me disassemble one before I buy it  :D but the spider is sold separate  ;)

fishpharmer

What's that smell? ;) :D ;D  Just kidding :)

You washing clothes in the sink?

Joan, your really an inspiration, I don't know if I would tackle tackle that machine, especially with an audiance.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

dchiapin

anybody that can rebuild a snow cat, sure can rebuild a washing machine.
Go for it Joan.

isawlogs

I know for a fact that " later" is just around the corner for me   :-\  That pile of things needing attention is just way to big!!! :)

Marcel

loggah

I cant believe you attacked that thing !!! ;D ;D your a brave soul ! ;D I would rather rebuild a Detroit Diesel then work on appliances !!! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!