iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing rule # 22 the lumber you need will always be at the bottom of the stack

Started by hackberry jake, February 17, 2013, 12:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

A luthier contacted me about getting quarter sawn Osage orange. I went and looked at my stack and, you guessed it, the only quarter sawn I had was at the bottom of the stack. That Osage sure is heavy.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Mountain State Farm

Know what you mean Jake,

Used to make stacks 8' wide, now 4' wide for that exact reason.

Dave.
That sawdust bug bit me in the ...

red oaks lumber

if i have wood that hasent sold for awhile i'll bury it and within days i'm digging it back out.  :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Cedarman

Corollary to #22.  The lumber you need which is at the bottom of the stack is in a stack that has 4 other stacks in front of it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bandmiller2

Remember when you were a kid they had those worm cans that you could turn 180 degrees because the worms always went to the bottom.we need a forklift that will clamp and flip the pile.I suppose then they will want somthing in the middle. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Okrafarmer

I encountered that rule. And its additional corollary, what the customer thinks he wants is at the bottom of the stack. I dug down through an awkward stack of cherry thick slabs to find the one the customer wanted. I had a moment of resignation as he then started to consider one of the other ones we had taken off farther up. But he settled on the one on the bottom, for $100. It was worth it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on February 17, 2013, 10:29:17 PM
What are the first 21 rules  ???.

We might need another one of those collaborated threads for that. I think I started one called Murphy's other laws, or something like that.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Tree Feller

Rule No. 1:  You will always have a new blade on the mill when you saw into metal, i.e., log stop, tramp metal.

Rule No. 2:  That log that measured just under the capacity of your mill will be too large once you get it on the bunks.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

hackberry jake

Quote from: Tree Feller on February 17, 2013, 11:51:02 PM

Rule No. 1:  You will always have a new blade on the mill when you saw into metal, i.e., log stop, tramp metal.

Rule No. 2:  That log that measured just under the capacity of your mill will be too large once you get it on the bunks.

Everybody needs to learn "ground shrink" and "ground swell". If you just shot a massive trophy buck, as soon as it hits the ground it will shrink up to a barely legal 5 point. If you cut down the perfect size tree for your mill, it will swell up to 1-5" over your maximum log size for your mill. Basic rules of nature.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

dboyt

Rule #3  Your customer will measure around the tree and give that as the diameter when describing it to you on the phone.
Rule #4  No matter how you have the sawmill positioned, the wind will shift to blow it in your face.
Rule #5  Your customer, having watched a sawmill on Youtube, will have plenty of helpful suggestions.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Okrafarmer

# 7. Logs always degrade and change species between the seller's phone call and their delivery to the mill. A beautiful 36", 10' long veneer grade white oak turns out to be an 18" 7' long pallet grade water oak. "American Chestnut, guaranteed" turns out to be chestnut oak, sassafrass, or sweetgum.

# 8. If you try to cheat and leave your blade down while gigging back, you WILL snag your blade on something and knock it off, probably crimping it and/or dulling some teeth against the structural steel components.

#9. The quick, slick, sawmilling trick you learned on you-tube works flawlessly, until you go to show someone, and then it ends up destroying a blade.

#10. If there is any way your hydraulic log turner can throw the log over, past, or through the side supports, it will. And usually only  when you have something in the way so you can't get your tractor to the back side of the mill to pick the log up.

hackberry jake

Rule #14. No matter how much you know about milling. The guy down the road that used  to own a chainsaw mill will tell you how you are supposed to do things.

Okrafarmer

#11. A week after you politely decline some logs of a certain species because you have no call for it, you get a desperate customer seriously wanting some.

5quarter

Sawing rule # 14b...While watching you work, your neighbor down the road will make some suggestion about how to do something that, upon reflection, will be far better than the now obviously bone-headed way you have been doing it.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

hackberry jake

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 23, 2013, 09:18:52 PM
#11. A week after you politely decline some logs of a certain species because you have no call for it, you get a desperate customer seriously wanting some.
That aint no lie!
Rule number (a number that isnt taken). as soon as you spend a whole day  burning your slab pile, someone will come by wanting as many slabs as they can get.

Dewey

I'm not sure what number this is.....
But the order that is needed ASAP  and you drop everything to do, sits in your yard a week before being picked up   >:(

JimFX

I am madly looking thru mill literature, to get my own mill so I too can post a number ........
: )

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Dewey on April 24, 2013, 07:39:39 AM
I'm not sure what number this is.....
But the order that is needed ASAP  and you drop everything to do, sits in your yard a week before being picked up   >:(

Or a month...

Or a year...

Or Hey! Wha's that still doing here?

Herb

Dewey

I hear ya....  I had 2000  of 2x6  I sawed from a customers logs.....  waited 5 years  finally sent them through a grinder...  LOL

Okrafarmer

I'm barking my shins on some full-size LT40 slabs left in my warehouse space for about 3 weeks now. People come to look at my lumber and end up wanting to buy my customer's lumber.  >:(

Seaman

Okra, you can bring those slabs that are in your way to me! I have room to store them. You can have a few back later.  ;D
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Okrafarmer

:D You know whose they are.

It would be too much trouble to haul them up there. He just needs to come pick them up. I am less than ten miles from his shop, and you-- what, 60-80?  ;D

rd roberts

I would like to thank you for posting this. since I read this post, every time I have gone to my wood pile to get a piece of wood it is at the bottom of the pile. lol  :snowball:
RD Roberts
AKA: CEO Woody Sawyer
Roberts Sawmill
New Hampshire Timber Owners Association Member
Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer LT10, 24" wood planer and the best Ford tractor.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!