iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Risley Rolly II Heads

Started by bkellyvtme, February 17, 2013, 11:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

What are your thoughts?? Good, bad, or Indifferent. A friend of mine has heard of problems.

CTL logger

Quote from: bkellyvtme on February 17, 2013, 11:36:54 AM
What are your thoughts?? Good, bad, or Indifferent. A friend of mine has heard of problems.

I've owned 2 of them don't have a bad thing to say about them. What have you heard?

bkellyvtme

He said they had 2 problems. Feed roller motors don't last and something about the measuring wheel malfunctioning in some way.

CTL logger

Quote from: bkellyvtme on February 17, 2013, 11:43:59 AM
He said they had 2 problems. Feed roller motors don't last and something about the measuring wheel malfunctioning in some way.
I haven't had feed motor issues. The measuring wheel has been rebuilt on both heads I've owned the first head I had was bad I didn't know what to keep an eye on the bearing was cracked and then completely fell out bending a few things but it was repairable, now I keep an eye on it have a couple of bearings on the shelf, repair if needed. The one I'm running now has 2 years on bearing probably but new ones in next month they take a real beating out there.

Jamie_C

The only heads that won't have some kind of trouble with measuring wheels occasionally are the ones that only cut 8" balsam fir all day. Measuring wheels take a severe pounding, especially in limby wood or in hardwoods, one of the hardest things on measuring wheels is twisting the head while you are grabbing hold of the tree.

Feed wheel problems are generally caused by issues with hydraulic pressure on the carrier from my experience.

snowstorm

keto dosent use a measuring wheel. maybe thats a good thing. the encoders drive off the motor for the tracks

Tree Killer

Quote from: snowstorm on February 18, 2013, 10:26:20 AM
keto dosent use a measuring wheel. maybe thats a good thing. the encoders drive off the motor for the tracks
what happens when the tracks spinout ?

1270d

If they spin you get a short measurement.  Not really a big deal after working with the head.  Just a quirk you work with. I have run a head with a similar measuring system on the feed rollers.  You become very tuned in to the sound of a wheel spinning out.
  Around here  keto heads are known to be very accurate.

snowstorm

Quote from: Tree Killer on February 24, 2013, 07:28:08 AM
Quote from: snowstorm on February 18, 2013, 10:26:20 AM
what happens when the tracks spinout ?
you can run 2 encoders. 1 for each track or just 1. if only using 1 it would be on the saw side. and that track puts a little more grip on the tree. so most of the time only the non saw side will spin. if bolth spin them it digs a hole in the tree real fast. i cut a lot of the pulp at 12' if running in auto mode and you get out and check it with a tape it will be 12' to 12'1". it is adjustable same with the dia. if...i was going to buy a new head it would be another keto. in 3yrs i have bought 2 encoders 1 proximity switch and a few hoses for it

snowstorm

Quote from: 1270d on February 24, 2013, 08:59:33 AM
If they spin you get a short measurement.  Not really a big deal after working with the head.  Just a quirk you work with. I have run a head with a similar measuring system on the feed rollers.  You become very tuned in to the sound of a wheel spinning out.
  Around here  keto heads are known to be very accurate.
what head dose your 1270 have? sorta looking at a 1270 with a 762. anything to look for? a while back we were talking about bars. buy some iggesund you will like them. they are one tuff bar . have had one on for 3 weeks. have bent it a little but not enought that you just flip it over and its fine. it is years ahead of a oregon or sthil bar for about the same price

1270d

Im running a 480.  Its a four roller.  Absolutely love it.  Powerful fast reliable short.  We have the poclain motors, same as the big waratah heads run. 
Have around ten thousand hours on it now.  Lots of rough big hardwood through it, things have broken but its to be expected for the wood cut.
The 762 is a two roller?  I dont know much about these but have heard guys say they work good in crooked wood.   
Its a bit of an adjustment moving from outer wheel measuring like your keto to a center wheel like the jd heads.  Lots of long ones at first.

With the bars,  i have the oregon "jet fit" style tails.  Unfortunately they have a patent on this style so until it expires im stuck with em.

snowstorm

i asked rickard about the jet fit. he thought the iggesund would work might have to grind a little. you would have to talk to him. there is a video on the iggesund site about how they are made. quite interesting. they are laser cut

QwikDraw

I'm still fairly new to CTL, about 13 months now.  I have a Quadco 5660, the guy who owned it said he had a Rolly first and switched to the Quadco and said it was much better.  He plated and beefed up the head some. The quadco only has 4-5 wires going out to the head.
I just purchased a TJ608 with a Watatah 622, I can say getting out and putting that chain on gets old quick.  I bent one bar in the few weeks I ran it and sharpening chains takes more time then I figured it would.   With the Quadco I never worry about that stuff, change teeth every couple weeks and good to go. I do all wildlife clear cuts so I cut everything and the multi stem trees are a snap with the disk and cutting up the slash is no problem either.
Again, I'm pretty new and I wonder why the Quadco's aren't more popular.

Ken

I have not seen any of those Rolly heads in this area although there could be some.  If I am not mistaken they work better in pure hardwood stands.  I've watched some videos and the feed roller speed looks quite slow even compared to my old 762B which is rated at about 13ft/sec in ideal wood.  I think some of the newer heads run 17 or 18ft/sec. 

Qwikdraw, changing chains can be a nuisance but keeping the stumps a little high sure helps.  I've gotten several hours out of a chain if I'm careful.  Sharpening also takes some time but a sharp chain is crucial to production.  There are some contractors I know that never sharpen their chains.  If they dull it they just put a new one on.  I also run a  old 608 carrier and so far it has been really solid.  There are several of them in this area and although they are smaller and underpowered compared to many they are quite dependable. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

1270d

One bar in the first few weeks of running isnt bad at all.  The chains falling off are probably because you re not used to looking for the little twigs and whips that knock chains off.  I would supppse that stuff doesnt effect a disc.   

I think its ctllogger that swears by disc saw

QwikDraw

Quote from: Ken on February 24, 2013, 05:59:52 PM
  I also run a  old 608 carrier and so far it has been really solid.  There are several of them in this area and although they are smaller and underpowered compared to many they are quite dependable.
I really like the 608.  I bought it for an employee to run but let's just say things didn't work out.  It's up for sale now, If I was just logging and not clearing I might keep it.  My Timber King was in the shop for 3 weeks and I ran the TJ but it's up for sale.  7500 hrs, 112k.

snowstorm

anyone have this happen. the chain wouldnt cut as it should so its dull. on one side it broke every cutter other side is still sharp. i have had one or two brake before from hitting a rock but bolth sides would be dull

snowstorm

Quote from: QwikDraw on February 24, 2013, 05:22:31 PM
I'm still fairly new to CTL, about 13 months now.  I have a Quadco 5660, the guy who owned it said he had a Rolly first and switched to the Quadco and said it was much better.  He plated and beefed up the head some. The quadco only has 4-5 wires going out to the head.
I just purchased a TJ608 with a Watatah 622, I can say getting out and putting that chain on gets old quick.  I bent one bar in the few weeks I ran it and sharpening chains takes more time then I figured it would.   With the Quadco I never worry about that stuff, change teeth every couple weeks and good to go. I do all wildlife clear cuts so I cut everything and the multi stem trees are a snap with the disk and cutting up the slash is no problem either.
Again, I'm pretty new and I wonder why the Quadco's aren't more popular.
my boom cable has 6 wires 2 hot 2 ground and a hi and low can wire. all your valves and measuring length and dia run thru the can wires

1270d

The rolly heads may look slow, but in decent sized harwood they are impressive.  They move a huge tree along at that same speed. 

I worked a job right next to a rolly on a timber pro 8 w and watched it run a bit. 

CTL logger

Quote from: 1270d on February 24, 2013, 06:02:41 PM
One bar in the first few weeks of running isnt bad at all.  The chains falling off are probably because you re not used to looking for the little twigs and whips that knock chains off.  I would supppse that stuff doesnt effect a disc.   

I think its ctllogger that swears by disc saw
I do swear by a disc we cut our wood 265" I've been told my disc is slow maybe in 100" wood it would be but having had the bar saw bottom I like the disc better. I run the woodland computer system with 4 wires I can't complain about it, my last head had the older woodland system it was fine til ice got in the hose that guards the line going to the head cut it off and had to re wire in -12 weather. Other than that no complaints.

Rolley ll 415

I have a Rolley ll harvesting head and I'm having trouble with my limbing arms loosening off while trying to cut ! I've ran tests on my cylinders and they seem to be ok.
I found there is a distribution valve that feeds both arms and there is some sort of relief or shuttle valve on the side of it and the jam but wasn't tight . Does anyone know how to properly set the pressure of this valve ?

Skeans1

Quote from: Rolley ll 415 on November 14, 2019, 11:39:10 AM
I have a Rolley ll harvesting head and I'm having trouble with my limbing arms loosening off while trying to cut ! I've ran tests on my cylinders and they seem to be ok.
I found there is a distribution valve that feeds both arms and there is some sort of relief or shuttle valve on the side of it and the jam but wasn't tight . Does anyone know how to properly set the pressure of this valve ?

You might call Woodland Equipment Or Risley for the process.

Thank You Sponsors!