iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

? about cypress

Started by Po-Jo, February 17, 2013, 07:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Po-Jo

My question is what is the time line for cypress? I was told once felled and bucked that it has to sit a year before even sawing . Is that true? What if it was going to be used as green wood for B&B? Thanks for any info

slider

Where did you here that ? The sooner you get it sawed,stickered and stacked the sooner it starts drying at a faster rate.I sawed some a while back at five eights and it was on the wall in no time.
al glenn

customsawyer

I would saw it as soon as I could. You will want to wear gloves as the splinters is the same color as my skin and next to impossible to see. I get by best with the gloves that have been dipped in some kind of rubber as the cypress is so wet that with leather gloves you will have really bad dish pan hands at the end of the day.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I regularly saw Cypress that has been felled and bucked for up to a year.  Not necessarily intentional for the Cypress, but that is how the customer gets the logs.  He collects them all year long and stages them for sawing.  I have sawed some that was over two years old and they were still very wet inside.

Tree length Cypress logs in the foreground and in the background, far right.  I am set up on ERC.  After it is sawed, I will move up to the Cypress.

Here I am finishing the ERC, and the bucked year old Cypress is in the right foreground.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Po-Jo

You guys have confirmed what I thought and the point I had argued, Had some local guys trying to tell me that you had to wait to saw, ( I have ran into that several times here, they seem to think that because I am not originally from here that I dont know ^&*# from shinola, about much of anything, funny thing is some of them are transplants too) they still dont understand when I told them about looking to buy a sawmill, everyone was looking at me like I had 2 heads. Oh well I just shake my head and move on, either way I placed my order for my sawmill (EZ boardwalk Jr.) this past week and now I  am awaiting for the delivery.   

Bogue Chitto

I cut a cypress two years ago and it sprouted buds the two years it was on the ground.

pineywoods

The sooner the better, but it ain't real critical. One downside, the sawdust is wet, wet and it will clog up a sawdust removal system at the drop of a hat. If the cambium layer just underneath the bark is not damaged, cypress logs will keep quite well. They will eventually dry out and become a different sort of beast to saw. I am working on a stash that is 4 to 6 years old. Quite dry and surprisingly hard, nothing like sawing fresh wood. The dust is fine, dry powdery and gets into everything. The biggest surprise is how dry cypress literally eats bandsaw blades. I run woodmizer doublehard 1 1/4 .045 blades, .028 set. A fresh one is good for 3 maybe 4 logs before it needs sharpening.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dboyt

Quote from: Magicman on February 17, 2013, 08:55:50 AM
Tree length Cypress logs in the foreground and in the background, far right.  I am set up on ERC.  After it is sawed, I well move up to the Cypress.
Here I am finishing the ERC, and the bucked year old Cypress is in the right foreground.

MM, that's as pretty a pile of ERC as I've seen in a while.  Around here, a lot of people consider it a nuisance, which is hard to understand.  Interested in swapping QS cypress for some walnut?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

slider

Good luck on your new mill po-jo .
al glenn

Magicman

Quote from: dboyt on February 18, 2013, 07:14:52 AMInterested in swapping QS cypress for some walnut?
:)  Sorry, since I only custom saw, I never have any spare lumber for myself.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!