iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood?

Started by Den Socling, February 16, 2013, 08:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I don't know what it could cut. Maybe firewood?

woodmills1

not with my arms close to it
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Happycamper

It's a buzz saw for firewood.
                     Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

breederman

I miss the sound of a buzz saw. ZING ZING ZING
Together we got this !

thecfarm

We use to cut our limb wood on it for my grandmother's cook stove. And yes,I miss the sound of it too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DaleK

You can usually tell among the older fellows around here which ones spent a lot of time with a buzzsaw when they were young. The lucky/careful ones are only missing a finger.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Happycamper

Used this one for 10 years when I lived in Ontario in the 60's.
                                        Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

bill m

I used one for years cutting firewood for my sugarhouse before I switched to oil. Ran it off of the pto on my 14 hp  Power King tractor.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Axe Handle Hound

My neighbor uses a modified version on the end of his sawmill to cut slabs to firewood length as they come off the mill. 

r.man

I have seen them mounted stationary but more often on the front or back of a tractor depending on the type of belt drive it had. You could buy one made for a Ford 9N that mounted on the three point hitch. I have even seen semi safer newer ones that actually had guards.
http://www.newhavenpower.com/Woodsman250_Buzz_Saw.html
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

sawguy21

Dad would get a load of spruce or d-fir slabs from the local mill then have a neighbor come in to buck it up with one of those mounted on a 9-N. My job to pack and stack in the basement. OSHA would have a fit now. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

If seen those buzz saws at New Haven Power... they are just a few miles down the road from me.  I've never seen one run, however.  It would be helpful if they'd put a video of it in operation up on their web site.

The one thing I just don't get about this is how you feed the log to the machine. My tractor would be tied up running the buzz saw.  Lifting logs by hand onto the cutting table would get old fast, not to mention having to slide them down for each cut.  With all the manual log handling, I just don't see the advantage of something like this over just using my chainsaw to buck logs (admittedly, that has it's drawbacks as well, but a firewood processor is just not justifiable for me).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

John
They were prior to chainsaws. And yes, there was a lot of manhandling to move the wood to the saw and away from it.

A vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwpdMy06_k4
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

r.man

Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

North River Energy

Variation on the theme:

In action: <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DvboJmy6nSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvboJmy6nSM&feature=youtu.be

Al_Smith

I've got a 30"buzz saw which can be hooked up like that Dearborn as 3 point hitch or be staked down .I haven't used it in decades though .

That picture in the first post appears to be more of a flywheel than a belt pulley .Geeze I can't  imagine whirling that thing over by hand .

Al_Smith

How to embed .Right click on the picture and copy the embed code then paste it to the post .<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z6FgjeUXX5w?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

North River Energy

Al,
Thanks for the full-screen option.

Looking for something more along the lines of what beenthere did with his post.

doctorb

Doesn't anybody wear gloves when they saw?????
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

DrB
Not a good idea to wear gloves around those teeth that can get a bite of cloth or leather and quickly pull the entire hand into the spinning teeth. Not a pleasant site, as it happened around me once.
Better to just get some knicks if getting too close.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Al
I just go to the YouTube video and copy the url, then paste in my post. Most of the times the Forum handles it just fine that way.
south central Wisconsin

johnjbc

This is my Buzz saw. I use it to break down the slabs off the band mill. I picked up a conveyor section to set beside it.

Here is a post about it
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,46598.msg672841.html#msg672841
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: doctorb on February 17, 2013, 10:10:40 PM
Doesn't anybody wear gloves when they saw?????

Quote from: beenthere on February 17, 2013, 10:18:17 PM
DrB
Not a good idea to wear gloves around those teeth that can get a bite of cloth or leather and quickly pull the entire hand into the spinning teeth. Not a pleasant site, as it happened around me once.
Better to just get some knicks if getting too close.

DrB,

BeenThere's got it right. Here's how my hand looks after things healed up. I was wearing gloves using a table saw and got pulled in. It happens so quick you don't have a chance.

I've got most of the feeling and use in the injured fingers, but it's sure not the same.

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!