iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

518 cat tranny

Started by coxy, February 16, 2013, 06:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

does any one ever run 15/40 oil in the tranny we have a logging co here that is all thay use little over 30.000 hours and never had any truble i just dont have 18.000 for a tranny  would be nice to put 15/40 in there any info would be great cat gets 175. 00 for 5 gal shell is 60.00   thanks paul

smwwoody

How much oil does it hold?  5 to 10 gal?  $300.00 for the right oil sounds like awful cheep insurance to me on an $18,000 tranny.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

loggah

Cat always recomended 30 wt oil in the summer ,and 10 wt in the winter, the guy i used to work with has over 40,000 hrs on his 1978 cat 518 he bought new ,never had to do the tranny or convertor. He changed his oil spring and fall religiously ,and his engine oil every 100 hrs.I would use the 10Wt in the winter ,i believe the 15-40 multi weight is to thick for real cold weather. I know my D5 has the same transmission and it wont even move at all if i leave the 30 wt. in in the winter. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

lumberjack48

Find out what other oil matches what your using now [Cat oil] go from there. You should be able to save about 50%.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

loggah

Cat is way overpriced on their oil,$125 for 5 gallons of hydraulic oil,I laughed at the salesman, you dont need that oil in the older machines. If you have a new "CAT" machine you have to use their oil or void their warranty. In the older machines i always run Shell Rotella. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

smwwoody

any good brand name oil that meets the spec
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

coxy

i havent had any probs yet and dont want to!!! just bought it 16mounts ago i put all new oils and filters in oct but didint know there was a screen in side the tranny thats y i wanted to know about 15/40 it wood be much better with one oil i guss ill have to go back cat and get the good oil for now thanks for the info  ill have the best 10gal of bar oil money can buy :D

Rob-IL

I used (& Cat Recomended) Marathon Series 3  30wt in my tranny and series 3  10wt in the hydraulics all year in the 86 518 I had. We rarely had temps below +10.
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

lumberjack48

Citgo Transgard Heavy Duty is recommended for Cat powershift.

Mobil manufactures what Cat is selling.

For what your paying for what Cat sells i would be running Amsoil, and change it once a year.
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/sae30-powershift-transmission-oil-ctj.php
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!