iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

manual log turner

Started by woodweasel, February 16, 2013, 07:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

How well do the manual log turners work on a woodmizer mill?  Does it actually turn it or does it just assist with a cant?

Bibbyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI5kJ3Xl-oc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This video shows the optional log handling package in action.  It loads and turns logs and cants. Looks slow.  I think some have added an electric winch.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

samandothers

I saw alone and have recently been working on some southern yellow pine logs 14' and up to about 33'' dia. Somenwere to heavy for my tractor to lift.  I wax able to load with the winch on the LT35 and turn with the log turner. As Bibbyman indicated it was a bit slow. However without the Turner I wouldnhave been gotta luck.  Some logs turned  easy some the small end would start to lift. I would then lay a stick or something parallel to the log and lower the log. When i lowered the log the log came down on the stick it would roll. You may have to repeat the cycle several times to get the log turned 90 degrees. I do not have rollers on top of my log stops that is a modification I need to make. I am glad I have the log deck package and would buy it again.

Some logs I could not roll with out it regardless of how good my Logright is.

drobertson

I have never used or seen the manual turners work, but by the video, I would say they would turn the log just fine. A log as big as you mentioned would be no problem, the only issues are with smaller logs, even with the hydraulics,  but once the weight of the log or cant becomes managable, your hook should suffice as it has,  Keeping the log balanced on the bed with respect to the turner is something you will have to figure out, so that you turn more than lift, being by yourself this is kinda important, but if it does lift on one end and is partially turned, leave it there and finishing with the hook should be easier than without the turner at all, especially with a 14' 33" pine log, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

r.man

Thanks for the video Bibby, I hadn't watched that one. What I got from it was that with the accuset  "you don't have to think nearly as hard". I wonder if this is good for the sawyers brain. I know guys who have bought mills for a second career that gets them some exercise, keeps them out of their wife's way and makes them some money. Another benefit that they may not think of is how having to do the math for the cuts keeps the working part of their brain active. I wonder if the accuset interferes with this activity a bit or a lot or not at all.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

samandothers

D
I'll try the cant hook next time I have the small end raise. The eyeball is getting better on seeing the balance point.

woodweasel

Great information gentleman tha :P :Thank you very much! Daniel

timberjackrob

The manual turned works pretty good but an electric winch is a must or its too slow and the top rollers are a great help it seems to work better on bigger logs I have an lt28 with the manual turner
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Dave Shepard

I learned on a manual LT40 with the log deck package. Most of the time I sawed alone. I would use a peavey for the smaller stuff, and the winch turner on the big stuff. It worked well, but was only as fast as you could crank.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ST Ranch

Woodweasal - I have a manual LT40 with the log deck package and I have added a 12 volt winch in place of using the hand winch. [ I left the hand winch in place in case the 12 fails] I also added the WM power strip and fuse/solenoid package to transfer the 12volts to the frame where I mounted my winch. Cost 2-300 bucks for the WM parts and about 75 for a 2000 lb 12 winch.   Tom

LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

JohnSR

Nice setup St Ranch. Like the way you mounted the winch.  I had to do something to get the large logs on the mill as I just didn't have the strength to crank manual winch with the heavy logs up the ramp. H.F. had this winch on sale so picked it up and had a friend help me mount it. Know it is an over-kill but boy does it load and turn logs fast. Did have to replace the cable that came with it with the next size smaller as the quarter inch was to large for the WM pulleys.

Another thing found out is a 2 inch square tube two feet long slid over the log stops  keeps the log from wanting to climb. It is easy to remove once the log is in position. Anything to make it easier on this old man ;)

woodweasel

I don't understand how the winch turns log after it sits on the deck? :P

JohnSR

The winch is connected to the log turner via a set of pulleys. When the winch is turned, the log turner comes up and makes contact with the lower portion of the log. As the log turner moves up, the log rotates. (see Bibbleman's video). When using the winch to load a log, the cable is removed from the log turner and connected to the log. Hope this help you understand how it works.

woodweasel

Absolutely! So it will be relatively easy to replace the manual winch with electric winch!! ;D Thanks gentleman!

woodweasel

One more question are the toe boards connected to the winch cable :P ???

JohnSR

No, they come with a crank that operates the jackscrew which raises or lowers them

woodweasel

Thank you very much John senior!!! Daniel

ST Ranch

John SR - Wow, That is quite the winch. Just wondering what you use to power it? Is it off the mill or a secondary battery?
My winch runs off the mill 12v system and lately with the mill RV battery getting old [5 yrs], I notice the mill alternator will labor the mill engine when I get a big log on the turner. Might add a secondary battery in parallel with the winch to give a bit more reserve cranking amps.
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

JohnSR

I am using a large secondary battery as the 18 hp engine charging system on the LT28 just don't put out enough juice to keep the primary battery charged when using the power feed and the winch. Have a pretty large charger hooked up to the battery and so far haven't had the needle drop below normal. If I go mobile will use the Honda 2000 generator as it has a 6 amp 12 volt charging system built in.
According to the instruction that came with the winch, am supposed to wait 15 minutes after using it at max for 45 seconds. So far haven't came close to to the max pulling power. Probably would if pulling the log by the end. Using it to roll the log am only in the mid range on the lever. If I go any faster, can't control the rolling log as the control is only 12 feet long. Would be nice if there were two cables so to get an even roll.

sdsherer

Hey, bibbyman, any chance the video in this thread could be made public?  Would love to see it in action, but says it's private.

Trying to get my older LT30 loading and turning big logs.  I have manual winch, not sure how to turn with it.....

paul case

Welcome to the forum, sdsherer.

I doubt if you will get an answer as bibbyman doesnt frequent here as much since retiring from sawing. BTW did you notice this thread was 4 years + old?

You can use the search function and put in manual log turner you will surely come up with some vids that would work and lots of new Ideas.
Here is the turner that was on my ez boardwalk 40.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

plantman

How do you like your ez boardwalk 40 ? Thinking about buying one.

paul case

It worked real well for me. I had a 20 hp honda. I miss being able to cut a 36'' wide board.  I put a pineywoods turner/clamp on it and that worked real well too. Pictures of it are in my gallery. Boardwalk mills are tough and easy to learn on.
However I needed higher production so I bought a really used 94 LT40hd. and then another, now a 3rd.

PC

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Slingshot

sdsherer;  Here is a video I made of the LT30 I had with a 12 volt winch I used in place of the manual winch. Works great and fairly fast.
I have posted this before...

..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNHVKl11SIU

Charles   sling_shot

plantman

Paul, couldn't you have just add some hydraulic or electric  log turning mechanism yourself ? I think they put a 24 hp Honda on them now with a 28 hp optional engine available.

Thank You Sponsors!