iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

manual log turner

Started by woodweasel, February 16, 2013, 07:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

I did. I could have easily automated it to death, just didnt have the time, oh and I didnt want to be the guy trying to reinvent the wheel.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

woodweasel

That was an old post of my from 2013.  The manual turner did just fine. My new Hydraulic tuner is THE BOMB as the young kids now  a days say  :D :D

plantman

I guess those woodmizers hold up pretty well ? I'm a little skeptical about the cantilever design. Looks like the metal would fatigue and it would sag over time or simply not cut as true because it would be less ridged. The frame looks a little light when you compare it to a mill built with structural steel.

Brucer

?? The frame is definitely not light, and it is definitely made from structural steel.

I've sawn close to half a million board feet on mine. It's 11 years old an has taken all the abuse I could throw at it. It cuts as true as the day I got it.

The pole mill down the road from me use a manual LT40 for years to salvage their oversized butt ends -- it had 6000 hours on it when they finally replaced it. It was still in good shape, but they couldn't keep up so they replaced it with an electric super hydraulic. That had over 8000 hours on it when they finally sold it. They'd have kept it but their market collapsed in 2008.

You'll find lots of people who have sawn over a million BF (and sometimes 2 or 3 million) on a Wood-Mizer mill.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

paul case

I know of 2 LT40 hyd that are still running and have over 10,000 hours on them. Each will still cut true and square and can cut an 1/8'' thick board if you want(I was gona say so thin it only has 1 side but....).

I think woodmizer has their mills figured out. They cut well and last a long time as well. Thats not to say they are the only one who has.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

I break sawmilling down into two category's 1) hobby sawyers that cut for themselves occasionally and 2) guys that cut for hire. If you cut for hire you need a hydraulic turner, nothing less. If you cut for a hobby you still need a hydraulic turner but you can get by with various manual turners as your not after production, just ease of use. I think their would be a market for a compact after market hydraulic unit that could be easily added to manual mills. Two models battery and 115v. Could ether be Piney woods type or two plain. Chain is nice but too hungry for power and doesn't serve a secondary function as a clamp. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Brucer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 17, 2017, 07:36:21 AM
... If you cut for hire you need a hydraulic turner, nothing less. ...

I didn't know that, so I cut for hire with a manual turner and it worked out OK :D :D. Mind you, I was a young 55 year old when I started ;D.

I was making enough money that after a year the bank was willing to lend me enough to upgrade to a hydraulic mill :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!