iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couldn't sleep last night

Started by m wood, February 16, 2013, 05:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m wood

gathered tools and gassed truck yesterday.  The amish fella called and left message "he is expecting me around 10 this morn".  went to bed at 10 last night.  awake at 1 am.  broused the FF for an hour or so.  tried to get some more sleep.  no.  cant get the mill off my mind to save my life.  the wife is almost as excited as me,  BUT SHES ACROSS THE HOUSE SAWING LOGS RIGHT NOW.  DanG, but I can still do this on 3 hours sleep.  Like DBoyt said, "dont let excitement get in the way of good judgement".  Sound advice cuz I am going to disassemble it and load it into the back of an 8' truck bed.  hopefully 1 trip (but not locked into that plan).

Were y'all this excited for your fisrt sawmill?!

mark
P.S. Yeah, shes bringing the camera for posterity sake, not without some gentle teasing about my new BFFs here on the FF. :) :laugh: ;D ;D ;D   
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Congrat's on your first sawjob!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

After a good hard days work you'll fall right to sleep.  Norwood sure looks like a nice mill.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

YellowHammer

Good luck, but why is it that the for the things you need sleep, you can't get any??  Like opening day deer season, fishing a new lake, and oh yeah, a new sawmill or big saw job.  Don't worry, it happens to everybody :D :D. I find that lots of coffee helps....
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

dgdrls

M wood

good morning, 

Wasn't that mill on wheels? 

good luck with your trip, take photos and take your time

DGDrls

m wood

Its on flat tires right now, and axle nd wheels r only good for the farm I 'spose.  no trailer available, but lots of tools and lots of butt,, we'll get er done!  gotta go.  back with pics this evening.
thanks all
mark
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

drobertson

I figured it would go like that, at least today is here, get er done,  have a good day!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

You got the bug now, hope it's what you wanted.  Work & drive safe, get some sleep when you can.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

m wood

Its home and under cover now.  My original thought for loading up was just how it ended up working out.  took off hitch; balanced frame into truck; ran saw head up; shimmied it to the cab; left 12' attached, and unbolted 8' of rails and with the wheels removed flipped 8' section upside down and slid in onto 12' and toward sawhead;secured it all and loaded tools, wheels and hardware back in.

started the work at 10 and home and put away for testing/tweaking by 3:00. The drive was careful and uneventful(thats a good thing). I'll put it back together over the next couple weeks and then tow it the 5 minutes to the land for additional testing/tweaking. ;D . we both will be sawing logs tonight, I have no doubt :) :)
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

Ga Mtn Man

Now that's what I'd call a real mobile sawmill. :D  Congrats on the "new" mill...she looks to be in good shape.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Congrats on getting your new baby home.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

QuoteYeah, shes bringing the camera for posterity sake, not without some gentle teasing about my new BFFs here on the FF

now that's funny.   :D :D

congrats on getting it home.  now the fun starts!  :laugh:
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

m wood

May be mobile today, Ga Mtn Man, but I dont think quite as mobile as what I see in your avatar ::).  But you are right, as well as I can tell, This mill is in real good shape for 15 yr old...it hasnt seen tons of use and no abuse is at all evident.  MM, baby is at MY home, her home is still 5 minutes down the road :D.  Between all the projects, I hope to be posting shed construction pics in April(ish) or so.  Got some more clearing to do in my "old campground, new mill camp site".
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

Happycamper

Enjoy your new looking mill. It appears Norwood makes a good product too.
                                  Jim   Have fun sawing your first boards.
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

dgdrls

M_Wood,  how far did you travel for the mill??

DGdrls

m wood

an unbelievably short 50 miles to Pike!  and the snow warning backed off some 12 hours too. sweet deal.
dgdrls, hows your search for mill and landing site going?
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

dgdrls

Haven't passed through Pike in a while.  The back road to in-laws back in the Rochester days,

Mill search is slow right now,  small to mid size circle mills that can actually be moved
are few and far in-between these days or are very expensive when compared to new.

I don't think I want to get a landing, not ruled out but not my first choice right now.

Congratulations on your new mill.

DGDrls

dboyt

M wood, congratulations on getting the mill home.  You've got a great mill.  There are a lot of those old Norwoods out there-- they just seem to last forever.  How are you set for blades?  Take your time, get the feel for the machine, and enjoy (and try to keep the log stops and clamps BELOW the blade).  I look forward to pics of the first log.  And yeh, I was that excited when mine came in.  It was on a pallet, and I worked on assembling it until the batteries on my flashlight gave out.  I still get excited when I've got an unusual log to cut.  Hope you'll post on Norwoods Connect forum and facebook page, too.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

LeeB

When I went and picked up my first mill, I had worked all night, left the rig on a chopper ride to shore, drove from Cameron La. to Kansas city Mo. manage to go to sleep at around 1:) that nigh/next morning. Was awake by 6:0 in the morning and sitting in the TK parking lot by 6:30 waiting for them to open at 8:00. Someone happened to come in early so by 10:00 i had the money forked over, a short inservice and hitched up and heade dhome to Austin Tx. Home by 10:30 that night and slept like the dead till morning. Yea, Iknow how you felt. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mometal77

Looks like a mighty fine machine.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Leigh Family Farm

Congrats on the "new" mill! Well done on getting it loaded up and the pics were spot on. Don't forget to post about your first log you saw on it.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!