iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good Thing I Don't Saw For Money

Started by Tree Feller, February 15, 2013, 08:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

Yesterday I cranked my mill around noon and shut down for the day at 5:00 p.m.  Working alone, I sawed 50 Pine 2x4's x 8', edged the side lumber into 1" x 6" x 8' and sawed a third 10" x 8' log into stickers. I filled the gas tank on the mill one time and the same blade sawed it all.

That's about $75 worth of 2x4's plus the side lumber in about 4 hours work ( I stopped, ate a snack and took a break around 3:00 p.m.).

I was really disappointed when I saw how little I had done. It seemed like a bunch of work for such a small amount of lumber.  :-\
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Happycamper

Tree Feller,
  Isn't doing our own sawing enjoyable plus it's good exercise as well as the satisfaction of doing it. Keeping in mind I don't have my mill home yet and never have sawn on a mill but I am sure looking forward to it. It doesn't appear that it can be a money maker for most of us but we should have the pleasure. I think you did ok for the time you had.
                                         Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Tree Feller

It's very enjoyable and productive, too. I guess I was just thinking that I should have had more to show for the work. What made me think about it was when my wife commented on how little the stack was for all the work I did.   :(
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Kingcha

Get a new wife or train her better  :D :D :D

Did you enjoy yourself ???     If so, add that value.
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Ocklawahaboy

I spent 5 hours milling today and only got 24 4/4 x 11' board averaging 5" wide.  Forgot to load one of the ramps to bring with me so I had to load the logs 1 ramped and they are scattered about which means a lot of manual winching to get them over to the mill.  Doesn't sound like you did any worse than me.

thecfarm

Should not of edge or cut stickers.  :D  I think I can cut another log by the time it takes me to cut the edges of from one log.   ;D  I've had a few try to tell me that they could cut more than I do. I do what I do and I am the only one that really cares how much I don't or do get done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

tree feller, that don't sound to bad, if I understand right you are running the manual mill?  sounds like you had a pretty good day to me, and you are sawing for projects, so just keep the stickers handy and keep stacking up the lumber.  I built a sticker rack using 2x's and it keeps them from getting crooked.  fill it up then you can cut all the lumber you want and just a few stickers as you edge.  At least you are in Texas, can't get a whole lot better than that, can it?   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Tree Feller

Quote from: drobertson on February 15, 2013, 10:15:33 PM
  At least you are in Texas, can't get a whole lot better than that, can it?   david

Now there's a positive way of looking at it.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

pyrocasto

You also have to realize you were sawing the cheapest stuff possible. If you had been sawing 2x8, 2x10s, 2x12s, and especially longer lengths you would see more money in those piles. I rarely cut 2x4s as they are hard to compete with the box store, and it's often worth it to buy them. I cut bigger instead so there are fewer pieces to cut and handle, they are worth more, and could always be cut down later if wanted.

Hope you enjoy your mill! :)

hackberry jake

One day I decided to help one of my unemployed buddies out. I told him I would pay him $10 an hr to help on the mill. We only put in about 6hrs but I gave him $80. I sold all the lumber the next day for $150. He made more than I did. I did get to enjoy some time with my friend doing something I enjoy, AND make some money while I was at it. It don't get much better than that.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Slab Slicer

You're working alone, on a manual mill. That's not bad at all. Just think about how many times you walk around the mill to clamp, unclamp, turn the log, move the log stops, load the logs, center the pith. It all adds up. If you find that you're taking alot of trips around the mill. take a look at how you might be able to limit those trips. That should help.

I use some of the pieces that will be edged, for stickers. I wait till near the end of the day, and saw them up last, 5 or 6 at a time. That way I have them for the next time I'm milling.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Ianab

With the side lumber (and you have to count the stickers too) that's probably around 400 bd/ft?

That's OK for a manual mill.

The problem is you were cutting cheap 4x2s. If you have been cutting something more valuable it would be a much more impressive tally. So if you had been slicing up some "highly valuable black walnut", that you could sell for a couple of dollars a bd/ft, you would feel a lot happier about your day.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Brucer

Ahh, but what about the quality of the 2x4's (compared to the lumberyard)  ???.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

captain_crunch

Big box stores sell 8 ft 2X4s @1.00 each so I dont bother with em
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Kingcha

Here in Northern Michigan 2x4x8 run closer to $2.50.   I have not seen on under $2 in awhile.
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

customsawyer

Keep in mind that a store bought 2X4X8 only has 3.5 bf where as a full size 2X4X8 has 5.3 bf that is almost 2 bf difference in each board.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

Someone mentioned piling up the boards to be cut into stickers, I say ten four on that,, I have also picked some smaller clear logs that really wont' make much of anything, and just cut the stickers from it,  All the 1x's it will produce, then edge to 1". Before I got the chop saw, I would stack them flat and squared up, rachet strap them together, and chain saw them to 42"
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Sprucegum

Its only work if you get paid to do it - you were just playin' all day  8)

You forgot to consider the dollars you saved on that gym membership you don't need.

Tree Feller

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and putting things in perspective. Ian's right, it was almost 400 bft total for 4 hours sawing so that's close to 100 bf per hour. That doesn't sound too bad for working alone on a manual mill.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

SwampDonkey

Don't fret too much Tree Feller. The neighbor here logs with a tractor all fall and winter and might cut 4 loads of wood and saws all winter and might cut 1 load of 6x6 cedar. Now if you can live off that, your math is fancier than mine. :D

2x4" are a lot more expensive than buck a piece here. It would probably cost at least $8 because the retail places charge by the running foot.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jamesamd

Cody,You don't know how lucky You are ;D
I could order a LT-70 full today and not take out a loan but I could not use it on My property.I would need an industrial lot to set up a sawing place for My desires.I'll never realise the joy of cracking open a log and finding out what lays hidden inside.
The only sawyering I get to do is resaw on My bandsaw. :(
I have found a lot,that has sufficent space for a small mill and some out buildings and drying kilns but I can't afford it,unless I sell My soul to the Devil.So.You all better keep the Pics coming,to satisfy My yens.

Nextdoor to a home depot ::)
  http://www.landandfarm.com/property/Home_Depot_Outparcel_Retail_Development-607256/

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Tree Feller

Quote from: drobertson on February 16, 2013, 10:45:08 AM
Someone mentioned piling up the boards to be cut into stickers, I say ten four on that,, I have also picked some smaller clear logs that really wont' make much of anything, and just cut the stickers from it,  All the 1x's it will produce, then edge to 1". Before I got the chop saw, I would stack them flat and squared up, rachet strap them together, and chain saw them to 42"

The last 8' log I sawed was 9.5" ITB and I sawed it into 3/4" x 1" x 42" stickers. There were 95 of them came out of the log. They are the stickers that are stickered on my TS extension table. I ran them all through the planer to ensure a consistent 3/4" dimension because I plan to use them for stickering some Walnut.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Stickered stickers.   :)  I also like your drawers.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Feller

Quote from: WDH on February 18, 2013, 07:45:37 AM
I love nice stickers!

Me, too.
Quote from: Magicman on February 18, 2013, 08:03:07 AM
Stickered stickers.   :)  I also like your drawers.   :o

Thanks, MM...I think.   ;D

I got tired of searching for oft-needed TS accessories and I also didn't like the wasted space underneath the TS extension wing. In those drawers, I keep the TS arbor wrenches, push sticks, stacked dado blades, miter gauge, tenoning jig, table inserts and other stuff. Sa es me lots of steps during the day.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Thank You Sponsors!