iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Motor ?

Started by Norm, February 15, 2013, 09:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

My sons have a hydraulic motor on an unload augur they need a power source to run.

https://www.applied.com/static/catalog/pdfs/2009_pg_960.pdf

It's the top one on the link. They need a really cheap way to power it, any ideas?

Al_Smith

Well the least expensive way would an electric motor driven hydraulic pump .You'd need to size the pump capacity with the orbit motor of course .In addition depending on the application the control valve needs to be a type designed for hydramotor use if speed control and direction of rotation is needed .This is just one example of circutry design of a zillion examples on the net .http://www3.abe.iastate.edu/tsm335/Labs/lab10/Lab10_hydctrl.pdf

Norm

Thanks Al, an unload augur only turns one direction and speed control is not really necessary. We've looked at what you suggested and they are just too expensive to run this size of hydraulic motor.

Al_Smith

I don't know what the application is but if it's a grain auger you can run it from tractor hydraulics .

As far as that goes the power source is immaterial .You could tap into the hydraulics of a wood splitter and utilize it if the flow rate is applicable .

Surplus center hydraulics has some very usefull calculators to help determine what might be needed .

blackfoot griz

Norm,

Is the hydro motor mounted on the top (upper end) of the auger?

If it is at the base of the auger,  I would think you could modify the drive combo to run off a pto drive.
I'm just guessing that you or your son probably have a pto shaft you could snag off another machine to use on the auger "as needed".

Any pics?

54Dutchman

www.forceamerica.com
They are not to far from you and carry complete systems.  If you get the information from them on what to buy, then you can shop for price - they are not the lowest cost group.

Al_Smith

There's probabley a thousand ways to do it .Something like an old hydraulic pump from a dump truck hoist from a pto of a tractor would work with a simple dump valve .Control the speed with the pto speed .

scsmith42

Ditto the recommendation about using a tractor's hyd system.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

justallan1

The tractor idea would be the simplest. If you have hydrabed bale feeders they work great. We have a hole auger that goes to our hydrabeds, plus I built a log splitter a few years ago for them until I bought a new one.
Quote from: Al_Smith on February 15, 2013, 12:15:47 PM
There's probabley a thousand ways to do it .Something like an old hydraulic pump from a dump truck hoist from a pto of a tractor would work with a simple dump valve .Control the speed with the pto speed .
I think this idea would work great. I have one out in the shop that I bought an engine at Harbor Freight for and it would be the same as using a tractor, you would control your speed with your RPM's.
Allan

blackfoot griz

Without seeing any pics of the auger, I am guessing that it has a full length "drive shaft" running through carrier bearings either on the top or side of the auger. If the gear box/drive unit is at the base, wouldn't the easiest and cheapest route be to convert it and make it a direct drive right off the pto and eliminate the hydros? A splined pto shaft, one or two pilow block bearings  and a gear (chain) or pulley (belt) and they'd be in business.

He'd have to play around with chain or belt combo to get the desired rpm to the auger gear box.

Norm, what does this thing look like??

Norm

I appreciate help guys but they have no tractor or any other cheap source to power it.

It's at the top griz.

drobertson

Norm, I have to ask, how cheap, or rather what is the max cost permissable?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Norm

I'm going to try using my log splitter hyd to power it. Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated.

reride82

What is it on Norm? Is it an unloading auger mounted to a truck? We had drill fill augers, basically 4 inch grain augers with a hydraulic motor mounted to the top of the auger and a direct drive to the flighting. They were powered by the hydraulics on the truck. Some trucks had two valves, one for the hoist, and one for the auger. Others only had one outlet and we had to switch between the hoist and the auger. Hope this helps.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

sandhills

Norm we have a 6" bin unloading auger that runs off an old T and L pivot wheel drive motor, plenty of power but not a lot of speed, but it will still keep an 8" auger full and we run ours off of tractor hydraulics for places there isn't electricity.  Our neighbor built a hydraulic squeeze chute and all it took to run it was the power steering pump off an old windrower and I think a 1 horse electric motor, it doesn't take a whole lot and works good.   

drobertson

Norm, glad to here, I thought that was a good idea too, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!