iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need ideas for bookshelf back

Started by Dan_Shade, February 15, 2013, 08:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I'd like to do a solid wood back in a book case that I'm building.

How do you guys normally do this?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

isawlogs

Dan,
I did a solide wood back for a bookshelf I did for my son. I used tongue and groove pine panelling, cheap ( key word here for me ) and looks good to boot.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pigman

Dan, solid wood would be nice, but some stained thin plywood hidden by a bunch a books would be a lot easier. If you use solid wood, Marcel's idea would be best. You could use the same wood as the rest of the case. You could also use frame and panel construction, but that would be a lot of work for the back of a case that is not seen unless the bookcase was not against a wall.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Axe Handle Hound

Similar to what isawlogs said, I like to use shopmade shiplap in 4 to 6 inch widths.  Looks really nice when you get done.   

Tree Feller

T&G, shiplap, frame and panel...all three options suggested are good as all three will accommodate movement of the back panel.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Dan_Shade

I was thinking of using 3/8 thick shiplap

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

Axe handle Hound,that looks good.

Dan,I was thinking I would like to see a picture of the book shelf when done,please??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Quote from: Dan_Shade on February 15, 2013, 02:54:59 PM
I was thinking of using 3/8 thick shiplap

That would work, but I tend to just make mine from 4x1s, planed and jointed you get 3/4". Well working in metric it's sawn 100 x 25, then machined to 90 x 19. Makes for a very solid back that add a lot of structural strength to the unit. If can be fixed solidly to the back of the unit and support the shelves. No need to worry about cross-grain wood movement because the shiplap or T&G allows for it. The Shiplap profile is easier to make on a router table

I use solid wood as it's also cheaper for me. I can saw that myself for minimal cost, where I would need to buy expensive imported hardwood ply, that wouldn't match the woods I'm using anyway.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Planman1954

A simple lap joint works well, and can be done simply on a table saw from thin stock. Be sure to stain the lap before assembly to avoid the bare wood showing with wood movement! This holds true for T&G joinery also.
Oh, and Axe Handle Hound: Nice cabinet!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Dan_Shade

what is the standard thickness for the backs that you guys use?

terrifictimbersllc

For solid wood, I'd stick to around 3/4 for a bookcase. Maybe to 9/16 if you have one or more fixed shelves you can nail the boards to.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

isawlogs

Well I did not need the strenght on the back, so I bought some 5/16 TG waine scotting and used that. SYP at its bestess.  ;D :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

drobertson

My first thought was some t&g car siding, axe handles looks good! and the 5/16 t&g is a good idea as well,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

I have used 3/8" shiplap to back a cabinet with glass doors, and it worked well and keeps the weight down. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Wouldn't it be stronger if the boards ran at a 45 degree angle?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ianab

Quote from: hackberry jake on February 16, 2013, 01:50:22 AM
Wouldn't it be stronger if the boards ran at a 45 degree angle?

Yeah, but at some point you have to say it's a book case, not a house foundation  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Then there is the fella that comes along and uses hardboard with birch veneer bonded to it. Make grooves on the back edge of the sides for the hardboard to slide up the back, done. ;) Cuts down on the heft and no worries about the back moving.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Maybe that guy has more money and time then the most of us.   ;D :D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I don't know if that would stand up to scrutiny. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: WDH on February 15, 2013, 11:21:15 PM
I have used 3/8" shiplap to back a cabinet with glass doors, and it worked well and keeps the weight down.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!  I don't remember exactly how thick the back is on the cabinet I made, but I don't believe it's any more than 5/16" at most and I'd agree with WDH that 3/8" is more than adequate. 

WDH

Dan,

This cherry hutch that I posted about earlier this summer has a 3/8" shiplapped back.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bama20a

Was that the same hutch you built for Danny & Lorraine ? That was some kind of nice work,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!