iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gearmatic winch freespool

Started by treefarmer rick, February 15, 2013, 08:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer rick

hello I have a gearmatic 19 that I took apart cleaned up and lubricated to get working again and it is pulling great. My question is that I am having a hard time pulling out the cable. I hooked it to a tree and ran it out a 12/20 times  while slipping the "cutch" figuiring that it had rust etc. on it. after doing so it does pull out easier,but not like it is supposed to. Sometimes when winching in if I realese the handle it still winches in on its own for just a little then stops. any thoughts?

Ed_K

When you release the cable,does the lever stay down by itself?If it is,then maybe the set screw on top of the winch that pushes down on the brake band is to tight.
Ed K

PAFaller

Like Ed said check your set screw on the brake band first. You'll have to take the pointed end of a round file and clean it out, its an allen head bolt, not sure what size off the top of my head. Thats what I woud check first. Other thing could be your cylinder that opens the brakes is weak, when I first got my 240 that cylinder was in real bad shape and it wouldnt throw out far enough to open the bands up unless you were at half throttle. I fixed it right away but still had to replace brake bands because they were soaked in oil and theres no way to get it all out. If you have any leaks on that side get them addresses ASAP.
It ain't easy...

Stephen Alford

logon

ga jones

It's a 1/4 inch Allen. Good luck! You will most likely need a torch and a socket type Allen. Even then you may have to drill down along side of it.I just did one on a 96 360 jack stupid design!
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

coxy

if it is trying to winch in the clutchs my be to tight i put mine about 13 to 16 thousands or there my be air in the line these winches are a pain when they dont work just rebuilt all  of mine this week good luck

beenthere

Hopefully you have some Logrite Blue Creeper to let soak into those threads before trying to move it. That is an application that Blue Creeper really shines big time.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jocco

Not to upset the apple cart but bad bearings could cause this too (pulling out hard) smiley_devil A drum out of round and hitting a shoe etc??? :o Be very carfull if this thing winches in after the handle is released. ::) We had one the cylinder come apart and it sucked the chokers right in!!!! Basically jammed the clutch. I would have a look see. pull the cover.
You may check out but you will never leave

DDDfarmer

On mine the clutch linkages was rusted up and the half moon adjusters were worn into the clutch band.  Had to remove everything clean up and re-assemble.  That took care of the winch holding and not completly releasing. 

I had my winch appart for the third time before I noticed the grooves worn down into the band.   When I had it appart that last time I also replaced the brake spring and seals, what a difference should have done that when the skidder was bought!
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

DDDfarmer

I never was able to adjust the freespool bolt.  Just have to be carefull how the load is released if it spins easy ;D
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

lumberjack48

Theres some reason your clutch shoes are hanging up. I would bleed it first, if that doesn't help take the cover off, readjust the shoes, i set-em at 20 thou, a little more then called for, but worked fine. They didn't drag a the drum anymore making the cable hard to pull.

Like jocco said, if it happens to winch in on its own when running rigging, this can be very dangerous. I've seen this happen many times, if a guy got caught up in it, it wouldn't have a happy ending.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

jocco

It happened to us i had to cut the cable and chokers out with a torch smiley_furious The winch got a major overhaul!!! The bands were worn down and the piston came apart!! :o Wich caused this mess. I have seen it couple times before  AND NEVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN no_no I do not think this evil option smiley_devil_trident is his problem he has something dragging.

Quote from: lumberjack48 on February 16, 2013, 12:53:43 PM
Theres some reason your clutch shoes are hanging up. I would bleed it first, if that doesn't help take the cover off, readjust the shoes, i set-em at 20 thou, a little more then called for, but worked fine. They didn't drag a the drum anymore making the cable hard to pull.

Like jocco said, if it happens to winch in on its own when running rigging, this can be very dangerous. I've seen this happen many times, if a guy got caught up in it, it wouldn't have a happy ending.

coxy

jocco your not going to up set the apple cart its called freedom of speach  :D :D ;D

jocco

Thank you coxy ;D Just being the pesimist that i am ;D On one of them a pice of dirt/rust plugged the return port in the master cylinder. It was like a brake micro lock (fluid could not return) smiley_devil Clutch was engaged (full time) :o LIKE LUMBERJACK 48 SAID THE IT WAS NOT A HAPPY ENDING!!!! (FOR THE WINCH OR LINES) smiley_devil_trident

quote author=coxy link=topic=64184.msg957099#msg957099 date=1361065962]
jocco your not going to up set the apple cart its called freedom of speach  :D :D ;D
[/quote]

coxy

we hade ours keep winching in to its not to bad if you have a standerd tranny just push in the clutch and hope for the best  but with live power like the cats its not to much fun thay are a good winch but thay are tempermental critters  :)

HiTech

On mine I had that problem. Sometimes it wouldn't let you pull the cable out. If you left the handle in the release position for any length of time the brake would come on. you would have to go back and go through the cycle again. Got a rebuild kit for the master control...end of problem.

xalexjx

Quote from: HiTech on February 19, 2013, 10:44:17 PM
On mine I had that problem. Sometimes it wouldn't let you pull the cable out. If you left the handle in the release position for any length of time the brake would come on. you would have to go back and go through the cycle again. Got a rebuild kit for the master control...end of problem.

where did you get your rebuild kit?
Logging and Processed Firewood

Ed_K

Local parts store,it's a 1 1/8" rubber cup for a brake wheel cylinder.about $2.
Ed K

HiTech

Got the rebuild kit at CJ's in Booneville. Had it right in stock. If I remember it had a spring, retaining clip and cup, new gaskets...seems like there was something else. I did both sides so i got two kits.

coxy

i get most of my winch parts from big al at cj to  i can buy and have them ship to me cheaper then i can buy them down here its pitaful you have to shop out of town :)

drlewis

anyone know where to rebuild kit for model 9 controler. mine releases some then not .pulls and holds good sometimes no pressure in handle. thanks

Ed_K

Auto parts 1-1/8 wheel cylinder rubber cup.Be careful taking it apart as one push rod is longer don't cross them.If your losing brake fluid, take the side cover and see were it's going.
Ed K

drlewis

not losing any, worked great sunday  monday wont pull out . rev it up works better ,sometimes at idle its fine, pulls great holds great.

timberjack26

i can get those parts cheaper than cj......and ship to ya......

drlewis

fixed it i hope  air in lines . any number for cj  so i can stock parts . thanks

Thank You Sponsors!