iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingles...at age 31...really

Started by Leigh Family Farm, February 14, 2013, 08:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh Family Farm

So I'm just gonna gripe and complain for a bit:

About 5 days ago a little red bump appeared on the middle of my back. I thought it was a spider bite since it was winter and the regular biting bugs aren't alive right now. I didn't think anything of it until it was still there three days later. I put some Cortizone cream on it to see if that helped. Nope, it got worse the next morning from one bump (think large pimple) to a tangerine size rash. Cortizone again to ease the itching, but to no avail. I went to the doctor's today, and after about 4 seconds of looking at my back the doctor replies, "yup, you got shingles." My response: "I'm not old. I thought this was like old man chicken pox you got it with your social security check."

Anyways, apparently at age 31 being fully fit and healthy, I have shingles. I can't go to work, can't kiss the wife good night because she's pregnant (oh yeah, its my first kid too!) and we are still determining if she had chicken pox as a kid (she's french so sickness translation is an issue), and now I have to sit quarantined in my apartment until Tuesday.  Yay me... >:( :'(

Ok, I'm done now. I hope everyone has a great Friday and that you all have a day like MagicMan had the other day!  ;D
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

WH_Conley

This old man had them in his fifties, ya young whipper snapper. :D

Get the vaccine. They never told me about it when I had shingles. The second time around was another Dr. He asked me why I did not get the vaccine. I didn't know about it. He told me it was expensive at $175.00. I lost 5 days work the first time because I did like you, ignored it, til it got so bad it took longer to get over. The pain can stay in the muscles for months.
Bill

Jeff

I had them last year and they were nasty. I don't consider myself  an old man quite yet. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WH_Conley

By the way kilgrosh, where is my check? ;D

Nasty is putting it mildly.
Bill

thecfarm

Seem like my brother had that at just about the same age. It's bad enough you got it,but having to be kept away from the wife and future baby too.  :'(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Leigh Family Farm

I asked about the vaccine but I can't get that until this clears up. I didn't even think I could get shingles at my age so it didn't even cross my mind. Honestly, I thought it was something more on the lines of a staph infection I picked up from the gym sauna. And after talking to others and seeing your responses, apparently I'm in for a lot of pain. This is gonna be awesome (insert as much sarcasm as you can think of and then double it). The only silver lining to all this is I have about 500 hours of sick leave saved up so I'm not losing any pay.

Quote from: WH_Conley on February 14, 2013, 08:53:27 PM
By the way kilgrosh, where is my check? ;D

The checks in the mail right after Congress balances the budget.  ;)

thecfarm

Never know about the pain and discomfort. It hits everyone differantly. Good luck and keep us posted on that baby!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Leigh Family Farm

Will do and thanks. Due date is September 15th.

thecfarm

Special people have birthdays in September.  :D

Jeff

"Special" seems appropriate.  ;) :D

doctorb

kilgrosh-

You could always change your screen name to "Zoster".  No one would talk to you if you changed it to "Herpes". ;D ;D

I hope you feel better and good luck with the upcoming addition.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Al_Smith

It's the chicken pox coming back to haunt you .I've had them and both of my sisters .It has nothing to do with stress and life style . Mine weren't that bad but it looks like I took a load of buck shot in the side . Brown as a berry from the summer sun with a bunch of white spots hither and yon .

lowpolyjoe

That's rough - dont' think i've ever heard of anyone that young getting shingles.  What a bummer.  Good luck.

I think i'm the only person i know who's never had chicken pox.  Guess i'm in the clear for shingles.  But i'm told if you get chicken pox when you're older it is a much bigger deal.  Maybe i should look into this vaccine you guys are talking about.

ely

is it true that shingles are in some way brought on by stress, i have heard that before?

Jeff

Having had a pretty painfull case, I've done quite a bit of research and asked a lot of questions. Stress does not directly cause shingles, but it certainly can indirectly. It has been proven that Stress can definitely weaken the immune system, and that in turn, if you carry the VZV virus, there is a chance you can have an outbreak of shingles. So, stress can precipitate a case of shingles, but is not the direct cause.

ely

reason i ask was of the few cases i knew of each person was in one form or other of trying times in thier life, divorce etc.

Al_Smith

I don't  know really because I'm certainly not a medical person .My two sisters are though .One is an RN and the other is a Doctor of pharmacy .I'm not certain if it's stress or just a combination of events .

I've heard the herpes virus is pretty much the same as a cold sore and for all intents most of us have been expossed to it in one form or another .The malady manifests itself in some and some there  appears to be no ill effects .Medical science can answer a lot of questions but somethings at least in my perspective remain a great mystery .

Leigh Family Farm

My doctor said that stress is not the direct reason but can be a factor in any sickness. As for the herpes comments, what do you guys mean? I'm being serious because no one has ever mentioned herpes when I say I have shingles. Is shingles a form of herpes? I thought it was from the varicella virus. Thanks for all the support!

I'm left handed and born in September, so I'm extra special! (Thats what my mommy tells me  :D)

Planman1954

OK...the bad news I have to impart is as follows: Why get the vaccine when shingles DO re-occur! The reason for a vaccine is to give one a mild case in order to prevent shingles, since it does not re-occur. Well, my aunt had them 3 times, my brother has had them twice, and I have had them once. Maybe they might not re-occur in the same area on the body, but re-occur they do! I did a lot of reading about it during the THREE MONTHS I was out for the count on the couch. Almost all sites say that they do not re-occur. So I was definitely interested in the contradiction. The sensitivity that I had, and the muscle pain in my side felt like I had had surgery. It was bad, and I wondered if I would ever be able to do anything again. Then one day, it stopped. Just like a bloomin' kidney stone passing...the pain just stopped! I got back to work. I am sorry for anyone that has had them! Take care.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

samandothers

No shingles yet I did get the vaccine. I had chicken pox at age 24 and it was a very heavy case. I was one big bumpy dude!  Don't remember it hurting but boy I looked terrible....we'll more than normal. My mother was sure I had them as a kid but only a light case.

beenthere

QuoteIs shingles a form of herpes?

Google 'shingles herpes' and will get a pretty good answer for that.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

Kilgrosh-

Yes, shingles is the common name for this inflamatory neuritis, and the offending agent is herpes zoster.  I should have made that clearer in my earlier post.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Leigh Family Farm

Googled it, Doc, so issue solved. Just the same genus as herpes simplex but not the same species.

Quote from: Planman1954 on February 16, 2013, 09:33:45 AM
... I did a lot of reading about it during the THREE MONTHS I was out for the count on the couch....

I hope this isn't a 3 month long issue. If it is, I'm working from home then.

Al_Smith

The whole thing gets a little confusing to the laymen not connected with medical science .I've heard the virus that causes a cold sore for example can be spread to other ares of the body  such as conjuctivitus, pink eye .

In addition withholding the details it can also be spread through intiment contact with an undesirable  out come .

Chuck White

I don't know if it applies everywhere, but here they suggest getting the Shingles shot at age 60!

The antivirus wasn't readily available, so lots of people just ignore it and my doc told me to just go by the drug store and order the antivirus.

I did that (paid for it too) and about 3 weeks later I got a call from the pharmacy advising me to come in and get the injection.

Did that in November, should be protected from Shingles for good now!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!