iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas powered skidder???

Started by CCC4, February 14, 2013, 06:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

I heard of one of my buddies purchasing an older skidder. He says it has a gas motor. I was wondering if any were ever produced or if this is something somebody "Jerry rigged"? Thanks in advance.

nhlogga

Early Timberjack and Tree Farmer skidders were available with gas engines. Not sure about any others.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Brian_Rhoad

JD 440 was available with gas engines.

julio

i have a bobcat with a old ford pinto motor
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCC4

Thanks guys! I wonder what kind of power it will have compared to a diesel motor?

mad murdock

Garrett model 10 and model 15 had gas engines, ford 172 cu in rated at 52 hp IIRC, the diesel option on the later 15's was the same engine (ford 172D) rated at 59hp. The same engine in the ford 800 and 900 tractors was rated at 47hp(diesel version) the lower hp in that application was due to the lower operatin rpm in the tractor. Garrett speced the engine at 2900 rpm if I remember
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

CCC4

Thanks for the info! I just wrote it all down for the guy. I'm pretty sure the skidder in question is a JD 440.

Those hp ratings are rather close! I guess the diesel would gain in torque? Anyway thanks for the info!

thenorthman

Is it weird that I have a really good skidder now but I still want a garrett 15... even though I'm trying to get away from gasohol, and go all diesel... and you really cant get forestry tires for em, parts can be difficult, they're old, slow, under powered...
well that didn't work

coxy

the old pettibone master 12 had mopar 6cylinder in them

mad murdock

Well, you are not too far from Enumclaw thenorthman, maybe you can find a used one there.  There was a guy in Cannon Beach Oregon a couple years ago who had one, a model 15 Gasser, that had a factory built extra articulation joint in the middle, and you could almost turn it into itself.  He said you had to really be carful on a side hill, as you could get doubled up real easy and it woud want to tip over, had to keep it straight up and down on slopes.  or very slight turning.  Every now and again you see them pop up on Craigslist.  There is bound to be one out there somewhere! 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lumberjack48

In 1968 i bought a new C4 Treefarmer, Garrett, CanCar, it had all three names on it.
It had the Ford Gas motor, 16.9-30 tires, very efficient skidder, 5 to 10 gal a day all depending on the ground and the timber.
In a good Aspen stand i could pull 30 cds a day, with a feller and landing man.

I got $11. a cd for pulpwood loaded on Railroad car, $18. a cd for saw bolts deliver at the mill.
I was the third person around to buy a rubber tire skidder. The older loggers said they won't work in the woods, a number of reasons. I was up at the pub and a friend of mine a trucker asked me, how was it going.  I told him in the Aspen i'm in right now i'm grossing $1500. a week. He about fell off his stool, he said absolutely impossible nobody makes that kind of money. I wasn't going to argue with him i knew what i was doing. I had worked for a guy that had a Timberjack with a gas motor in 1964. He was pulling 1000 cds a month with a 3 man crew. I had his father falling for me and his uncle bucking up, so we weren't green to pole skidding. In fact i was a little ahead of times for the area.
           Heres a picture of the C4 and me

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Rob-IL

Just curious how much the new C4 cost in 1968?? Nice looking machine!!
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

coxy

the pettibone only had front wheel stear had to lay logs on sharp turns to get around i was only about 10 or 11 years old it took all i had to turn it wish i had it to day  i will take pic of one just like it if i can figer out how to put them on here im a d-- on this thing  :D :D :D :D

beenthere

A tough lookin lumberjack there.  ;D  Nice skidder too. I see it brought back some good memories.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thenorthman

Quote from: mad murdock on February 15, 2013, 11:09:46 AM
Well, you are not too far from Enumclaw thenorthman, maybe you can find a used one there.  There was a guy in Cannon Beach Oregon a couple years ago who had one, a model 15 Gasser, that had a factory built extra articulation joint in the middle, and you could almost turn it into itself.  He said you had to really be carful on a side hill, as you could get doubled up real easy and it woud want to tip over, had to keep it straight up and down on slopes.  or very slight turning.  Every now and again you see them pop up on Craigslist.  There is bound to be one out there somewhere!

Priorities Sir... gotta make a go of logging with the Deere first, then get an excavator, a kitty cat, and then I can start seriously thinking about a garret, but I should maybe get my own log truck by then...

Down in Buckley they got the very first 15 in the logging museum there... all restored and ready to work (for those that don't know buckley is about 10 miles form Enumclaw, where garrets where originally made, and licensed to can car, treefarmer, and a bunch of overseas companys...).  They take the garret out once a year or so for the Buckley log show parade...
well that didn't work

lumberjack48

Quote from: Rob-IL on February 15, 2013, 04:03:56 PM
Just curious how much the new C4 cost in 1968?? Nice looking machine!!
That machine was $9500., i knew a guy that bought a new C4 with a Perkins, it was $11500.
I could out skid him, had nothing to do with the skidder, all about method.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

j d gas skidder was 59hp as was the 440 diesel. 440a was 70hp

Thank You Sponsors!