iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting sawmill

Started by JohnSR, February 14, 2013, 02:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSR

A couple years ago was vacationing in southern Oregon ran across a logging muesum on Highway 97 about 30 miles north of Klamath Falls. Very interesting place. Think I found the first portable sawmill on the west coast. :D

Think it was two horse power and burned hay. :D

bigred1951

ive seen some like the first pic but have no idea about the second one haha..great pics

Bibbyman

I think what you see there is a bucking saw. A mechanical replacement for the crosscut and used just as set to buck the felled tree into logs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Al_Smith

That's an example of what's called a drag saw .I have never seen it being powered by a horse or mule though but have seen old hit and miss engines or PTO types .

Bibbyman

Sawing since '94

DanG

I've never seen a drag saw powered that way, but I watched a mule-powered hay baler in action that worked the same way.  The mule just walked in a circle, stepping over the connecting rod while his bossman forked loose hay into the box.  When the bale was complete, he would tell the mule to stop while he tied the bale and removed it.  If memory serves, it took about five minutes to make a bale.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Al_Smith

:D My father told me stories about drag saws ran from the PTO of a John -Deere B .The danged saw would get hung up and the JD would shake like dog wagging its' tail .Actually he said he and his younger brother could out cut one with a sharp two man cross cut but they couldn't out last it .

Goodndusty

Those are great pics.  Thanks for sharing them.
Goodndusty

Timberwolf 24' 2" band mill, logosol planer/molder, 3 sided planer/sizer, Oliver 1850 front end loader, Barko 60, H3 crawler w/1066 loader with wood clam, home built dryer, Dino semi auto setter, cat claw sharpener, Timberjack 230D.

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 14, 2013, 08:28:51 AM
:D My father told me stories about drag saws ran from the PTO of a John -Deere B .The danged saw would get hung up and the JD would shake like dog wagging its' tail .

Exactly my thought while watching that video Bibby posted.  If that blade got hung up due to tension or pitch you could really have a mess on your hands. 

Bibbyman

Maybe they were designed to cut only on the pull stroke?
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Poor Horse.  :) I'll bet he stays in shape.

I've never seen a mill like this.

Good vid. Jeff  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

QuoteI've never seen a mill like this.
That's because it is a dragsaw. ;)

Jeff

I've not got any mechanized drag saws any longer. just a human powered one, my folding drag saw, however I have several drag saw blades. Come to thing of it, I think I even have one hanging in Chet's sawshed. :D

loggah

I believe those were used a lot out west cutting wood for the "Donkey engines", they ate a bunch of wood and kept guys busy bucking and splitting for those beasts!! Jeff ,i got one of those folding dragsaws also!!! just like brand new ,this tells me they were not very successful. ;D ;D I just got a factory brochure for it  last week. Heres a picture in the Mini museum. Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

Don, I'll try to get the literature I have for the folding saw scanned.  I was lucky enough to get a bunch of stuff from the daughter of one of the salesmen from the company. I have all kinds of stuff, including a several hand written testimonials sent to the company by customers.

I spent about 4 hours this morning scanning stuff because you inspired me to do so with your Mini-Museum photos. :D  I have not however scanned the folding drag saw stuff, but I did dig out and scanned the photo below, that relates to the original post. :)

JohnSR

Jeff, that is a very interesting photograph. It's something what people can come up with to save their backs. Guess that would be classified as a one-horse power plant. ;D

Dave Shepard

When my great-grandfather was little, just after 1900, there was somebody going around sawing firewood with a two-sheep treadmill. That's all I know about that story, unfortunately. I wonder how many sheep per cord they got on that thing? And how did they get the sheep to cooperate? I think they'd sooner die than cooperate. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

chet

Quote from: Jeff on February 14, 2013, 04:15:18 PM
I've not got any mechanized drag saws any longer. just a human powered one, my folding drag saw, however I have several drag saw blades. Come to thing of it, I think I even have one hanging in Chet's sawshed. :D

:o you remembered  :D  :D  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

You was hoping I didn't! :D   It's in a good home. ;)

Jeff

I've got just a ton of dragsaw stuff from back when I actually had some dragsaws.  This is a pretty cool Postcard. I scanned front and back
Maybe better off calling it a salescard? early 1900's junk mail?  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The phone number was only 4 numbers.  :)

Nice piece of history.......yesterdays days junk, todays treasures.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

KyTreeFarmer

Hey Poston, Jeff just posted you a new avatar look......see it?  :D
Just kiddin!
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Peder McElroy

I stop there every time I pass through there.Great logging museum.

loggah

That old horsepower treadmill is pretty neat,theres a ox mill about 4 miles from here. i have part of a dragsaw ,but dont know what make it is.  I would like to find one nice one sometime ,maybe a witte ,or Ottawa. I was thinking about the original picture of the museum saw ,they probably were used in cutting shingle bolts also. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

It looks like you have an early folding saw like mine is. The later ones were painted. I've seen mostly red, but I did see one that was a yellow color as well. Still had the label on it, so I'm sure it had always been yellow.

Schramm

Quote from: Bibbyman on February 14, 2013, 06:54:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scNb1bvzvis&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here is one (not same one) being powered by hit and miss engine.

I think that if I was showing off this tool, I would of used the edit button!

loggah

Jeff, you can see most of the label is still on mine also. Don

barbender

I was thinking the face on the end of that "really tough log" bore an uncanny resemblance to Poston :D
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!