iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Met The Devil Today

Started by Tree Feller, February 13, 2013, 10:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I sawed my first Hickory and I understand why Danny calls it the  smiley_devil. I had two 8 1/2' x 12" logs that came from a tree in my front yard I was removing. I cut the tree down yesterday and sawed the logs today but it was still hard sawing, even for small logs...especially after sawing a bunch of Pine.

I got about 80 bf of lumber and already have a project in mind for it once it's dry. The light-colored boards in the pic are the edgings and the darker stuff had already been treaed with Timbor when I took the pic.

I'll be glad to get back to Pine and Post Oak tomorrow.   ;D

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Okrafarmer

"I fought by land, and I fought at sea,
at hame I fought my auntie-oh,
But I met the devil, and Dundee--
On the braes of Killicrankie--oh!"

Old Scottish folk song.
8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Cody,

Don't blame me!  Blame Hackberry Jake.  He is the one that so aptly named it  :D.

I have eight  smiley_devil's laying on my logyard right now  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Cody, at least you got them down and done!  now see how much they argue with the planner ;D  way to go.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Want some more of these logs?   ;D

If it fits....it ships.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fishpimp

I'm gonna dance with the  smiley_devil tomoro!
Milled 3 very large and ugly chestnut oaks today. The boss is bringing 5  smiley_devil over to try out... It's ok ... I gonna take backup. Husqy 455 n glock 45 !

Slab Slicer

I have at least 5 bitternut hickories waiting for the mill. I'll be sawing some of the smaller logs this weekend. Only about 14" on the big end, but it'll be my first.

I don't own a glock, but my son has a S&W 500 that should do the job if needed.  :D :D
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

m wood

My devils are still standing.  maybe 2 dozen, some have saw logs about 25".  I'm starting to shy away from them.  You guys make me want to leave em right there.  Forester called them shag-bark hickory...and thats just what they look like.  How do those buggers compare to pecan hickory and other species?  I do got plenty to practice on befor I tackle of them anyway.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Slab Slicer on February 14, 2013, 07:08:13 PM
I have at least 5 bitternut hickories waiting for the mill. I'll be sawing some of the smaller logs this weekend. Only about 14" on the big end, but it'll be my first.

I don't own a glock, but my son has a S&W 500 that should do the job if needed.  :D :D

I cut one of those and it was full of bees wing figure. Really nice. Also likes to twist and shout.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

hackberry jake

I didn't give it its name, it did that to itself. I just pointed out the big pink elephant.  :D I called pecan the  smiley_devil but hickory is in the same boat, and I wouldn't mind if that boat sank. Shagbark hickory is the majority of the hickory that I saw. The bark is extremely hard and it fractures at sharp angles. It'll tear your pants if you walk to close to it. The shagbark hickory has drawn more of my blood than any other species. Sometimes the chainsaw will just bounce on the bark for a second before it gets a bite into the wood. It is supposed to be one of the hardest of the hickory family. I have a 16' 6x10 beam spanning the opening to the saw shed. When I was cutting it it had tension and bowed some on me. Thats ok, I thought. I'll just put the bow up and when I attach all the rafters and put on the roof, it will straighten up over time... Nope, still bowed up. Good luck with your hickory and if it tries to cut crooked you probably need more set on your bands. Hickory requires a lot of set!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I have met your  smiley_devil 's Sister,  smiley_gorgeous  and that is all that I am going to say about that.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Magicman on February 14, 2013, 07:59:35 PM
I have met your  smiley_devil 's Sister,  smiley_gorgeous  and that is all that I am going to say about that.   ;D

You funny, MM. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

m wood

Thankyou jake.  So it matters nothing whatever I my practice on this year,haha.  When i get into the shaggy bark everything I learned gets thrown out the window, and I'm starting all over a-new.  I was thinking of a beefy white oak beam for the front of my shed...maybe 16' to 24".  Maybe I'll set the devil up there instead. ;D

BTW, I couldnt imagine what I'd be getting in to without all you guys and your sage advice.  Thanx
Mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

hackberry jake

Quote from: Magicman on February 14, 2013, 07:59:35 PM
At least mm gets to "saws em and leaves em". When I saw the  smiley_devil it's always still there the next morning  :D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

I re-stacked some  smiley_devil that Customsawyer and I cut almost two years ago.  Still does not want to behave  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 14, 2013, 08:49:29 PM
  Still does not want to behave  :D.

That's why they call it the Devil.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

I stacked 50 Pine 2 x 4's on top of the Hickory. Hopefully it will stay straight enough for the project I have planned 
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

WDH

:D :D :D :D   :-* :-* :-*    :'( :'( :'( :'(

Sorry  :), but maybe you will get lucky  ???.

Brad_bb

"and the Devil jumped up on a Hickory stump and said, boy let me tell ya what"
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

WDH

The  smiley_devil shag barked to Georgia Texas, looking for a nut to steal  :D.

Tree Feller

He was in a bind,he was way behind, he was looking for a mill to kill
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Thank You Sponsors!