iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meadows Mill Advice

Started by Tripp, February 13, 2013, 09:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripp

I have recently been hired on as the sawyer for a local mill. Unfortunately the owner passed away unexpectedly at the early age of 57. He was a good friend and great man that was very helpful to me in getting my mill up and running. His family is now trying to keep the mill running along with several other businesses. In the short term I will be working 4 or 5 days a month to fill standing orders.

The mill is a fully automated meadows with computer setworks, live log deck, log turner and edger. I am working along with a 4 man crew. An edger man, 2 slab men, and man who runs the loader.

I have run the mill for a few days and we have done pretty well. This is a big step up from my bellsaw and I am looking for any helpful advice.

Tripp

bandmiller2

Tripper,I can't give you any advice on the meadows,but you know the basics and its just a matter of time before your up to speed.Its kinda tough to only work a few days a month on a mill and make the gracefull moves.I to just lost a friend, the guy that took my job as fire mechanic,so after four years of retirement I got dusted off and I'am back in service.Just like I never left except I can't find anything. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tripp

Frank,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Sounds like we are in the same boat.

I never would have thought I would have an oppurtunity to run this mill.  Cory at meadows mills has helped me reprogram the computer and we have the mill running really well. I guess the controls will all become second nature with time.

Tripp

bandmiller2

Tripper you realize your going to get totally spoiled on the meadows and the belsaw will feel like driving a model "T". Frank C.

Jasperfield

I agree. Meadows makes one of (if not) the best mills of that size in the world. If I was looking for a circle mill I'd try to find a Meadows first.

Used Meadows mills are hard to find.

Seaman

My only advice is to move your bellsaw to my farm, the Lucas neeeds company. That would be quicker than helping me set up the abandoned Meadows that is here.
You are too high speed for your old mill now anyway.  ;D
Your best friend Frank,

glad I can help!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Tripp

Frank,

I agree. I ran the belsaw today and I am already missing the log turner and live deck.
Speed and ease costs $ though. I still love my belsaw. Running that mill lets me know that i can always make improvements on my mill.

Seaman,

I will be there soon. We will drag that old mill outta the bushes and get her running again. You will love that circle mill. The sound reminds of your Landcruiser running full throttle up schoolbus hill at Tellico.

Tripp

Seaman

I'll have you know that I was always very judicious in the use of throttle, well, until there towards the end anyway!
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Meadows Miller

Gday

Tripp & Frank Sorry to hear you both lost people you knew well I just lost a good Mate and his GF last week in a bad car crash they leave behind two little kids   :) :) :( :( :'(

Sounds like a good setup what Model #1-#2 or #3 Cab/No cab Which settworks do you have the old Elec over Hyd with the little comp box or the Digital full computer setworks how many  knees I would assume its the  std 15' carriage and what sort of timber are you sawing Mate  ???

Be carefull You never know you could well end up with this mill at the end of the day Mate   :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Tripp

Chris,

After doing a little research today, I believe we are running a #2 Meadows carriage. The mill has 4 headblocks with taper adjustments on each, along with a master dog in the middle. Everything is Meadows except the husk. The husk is a Frick,  1940's vintage, it was from the owners father's mill. The carriage is still advanced with the original lever and flat belt system from his dad's mill, hence no cab. The computer has 8 presets and 2 leave on buttons, not sure what model it is. The mill is powered by a 471 Detroit, with a straight pipe, pulling a 54 inch blade.

Southern Yellow Pine would be the wood most sawn on this mill. Followed by Eastern Red Cedar and Oak.

That Detroit sure sounds good.

Tripp

Meadows Miller

No worries sounds like a pretty traditional mill then what breed is the edger Frick or Meadows Our familys Meadows Mills did not have cabs on them either and I prefer sawing on an open mill you are not seperated from your crew ;)  ;D

Openings and sizes is #1 is  33" Headblock to saw the #2 is 40" headblock to saw and the #3 is 44" opening
Are the headblocks Cast or fabricated out of tube Cast is Pre 1983 Fabricated ones are post 83  ;) dogs tapers ect are the same if they are the side dog model  ;)

whats the feed speed like with the Frick they seem like they are geared alill slower then the modified Heacock Feed on the Meadows Mills think the meadows are 6" on the feed  and 12" + per rev on the reverse  in any word Quick :)

I love sawing pine just got offered whatever we want out of a 10000ton job so its looking like ill have to get stuck in and get the Meadows up n running running in tandem with the Laimet ASAP  :) ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris

Tripp

Chris,
The Frick carriage feed works really well. It has a nice feel and is very controllable. Much more weight than my Belsaw though. I could see how you could run it out of the back or front of the mill if you got careless.

The edger is a Meadows. Don't know mutch about it yet, but I will in good time.

Got a good metal frame with lexan and expanded metal separating me from the blade. Not quite a cab but not sittting out in the open either. I have a pretty good view of the crew from where I sit. It's gonna take a while to get used to sitting down and running the mill.

Tripp

Meadows Miller

I think all Sawmills both Manual or Auto should have atleast a simple screen just incase that odd chunk comes your way they also stop abit of the dust coming back your way  ;) ;D

Gives a new meaning to sitting down on the job Hey Mate  ;) :D ;D I do like sawing on Manual mills as it dose keep you fit but the production is a lill lower but that changes if you saw cants and feed them to a multirip  ;)

bandmiller2

Everything modern the sawyer is "cabbed up",an advantage when its cold or hot.It is nice to move around and feel the mist off a freash pine log,the sounds and the smells of hands on milling.[in outher words I can't afford a modern mill] Frank C.

dgdrls

Tripp,

how did this opportunity work out for you and the mill?

Best
DGD

julio

Tripp if it is the man im thinking off he was a great man and friend. He sawed because he loved the enjoyment of it and to get away everything else he had going on. If you need anything let me know I live about 5 mile from the mill.
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Tripp

Julio,
yes, Lewis was a great man.
I was fortunate to be able to run the mill for several months and I really loved it.  Due to many different factors the mill is shut down at this time.  I hope to run it again someday.

My mill is just off of White Oak rd. in Appling.  Looks like I am not too far from you.

Tripp

In fact, I believe you live about a mile away. Small world.

Ga. bow-man

Juilo, of Stage Coach Rd. I guess

I'm Tripp's dad, Allen Morris. I used to drink coffee with you, your wife, Lewis, Wade and others at the truck stop. You need to come
over when we are running the mill.

julio

I sorry  to wait so long but yes I know who youll are now

julio

just stop  by sometime and I would love go to youll mill 8)

Tripp

Julio,

I ride by your place quite often . I will stop by soon.

Tripp

julio

Thank You Sponsors!