iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

International drivers license for Florida. ??

Started by isawlogs, February 13, 2013, 07:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

Naw, that only applies where federal regulations are involved, Don. Driver's licenses are issued by the provinces.

I was following this story and it seems no sooner did the word get out, then the law was put on hold. One spokesperson for the Florida government said the law was intended to apply to non-residents of the US because of language issues. It never occurred to them that the law would also affect Canadians. Do the folks in Florida consider us "residents" ??? :D.

Naturally, putting enforcement of the law "on hold" doesn't quite have the same effect as canceling it.

As for the cost, the Canadian Automobile Association is responsible for issuing International Drivers licenses in Canada and there is a standard fee of $25. The license is good for one year. Of course no one expected a need for the license in the US.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ellmoe

Quote from: Brucer on February 15, 2013, 01:31:15 AM
. It never occurred to them that the law would also affect Canadians. Do the folks in Florida consider us "residents" ??? :D.

Brucer, you're closer to the truth than you might think. ;)  ;We don't think of Canadians much different that our other northern "guests".
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

isawlogs

If  push comes to shove I might get an International license, then again, I could get me a Floridian local personal driver  :) Maybe a close second could be a Georgian native   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Quote from: isawlogs on February 15, 2013, 08:21:16 AM
If  push comes to shove I might get an International license, then again, I could get me a Floridian local personal driver  :) Maybe a close second could be a Georgian native   :)

I can't think of a better driver than WDH!  He drove me around and it was very enjoyable. Even served beer and pecans.
He's retired and has plenty of time on his hands. :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

harrymontana

everything on hardwood

LeeB

Marcel, if and when you decide to come down, please make sure I know. If at all possible i will come to meet you. I really want to meet an old freind face to face.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Raider Bill

Quote from: LeeB on February 15, 2013, 11:33:16 AM
Marcel, if and when you decide to come down, please make sure I know. If at all possible i will come to meet you. I really want to meet an old freind face to face.

We need to make him bring some Bleu  smiley_beertoast
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

isawlogs

Explain to me how renting a car in Georgia is going to help with driving into Floridian terroterrrry.. ???  :-\

Oh.. I see now I am going to be Marcel.... AKA  Dabeerherder  Dableuherder   :) Well i will make sure to also bring down a bottle of Sortilège, just to sweeten the desert some. ( liqueur de whisky canadien et de sirop d'érable )
Lee, You are deffinitively on the list of friends to meet mon ami   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Slabs

Don't git your dander up too high Marcel.  The news is hot-and-heavy on the IDP today and some of our snowbirds are threatening to boycott Florida next year.  My guess is that by the time tourist development councils get through harrasing state lawmakers the law will be dead, buried and forgotten.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Mooseherder

There is still a lot of people from Canada coming down.
I saw 3 camper rigs in caravan from Quebec headed south today and a bunch of other northern plates to go along with them.
Don't worry about it one bit.
The only people the cops are stopping are speeders going way too fast.
They won't bother you.

SwampDonkey

Apparently the CAA of Canada is in charge of issuing these international licenses. But, I believe from what was reported today, it is on hold until they fix the language of the act in Florida. And that any valid Canadian driver's license is excepted.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I know the CAA is the outfit ti see about an IDP, I just don't want to cough up an other 25$   :D  I'm cheao dat way  ::)  :D 

Now I will check on the dash of da car and try to figure out what speed " way too fast " is as I have been told a time or two that I drive " too fast" .  :P I do like that they won,t bother me.   8)

Marcel

WDH

Just don't try and smuggle over any contraband sausages.  They are sensitive about that in Florida  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

QuoteAnd that any valid Canadian driver's license is excepted.

I think SD means accepted. ;)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brucer

And now the Southern Ontario branch of the CAA has announced they will refund the fee (in exchange for the International Drivers license) to any of the 900 people who bought the licenses on Feb 13 & 14.

??? ::)
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

BaldBob

Quote from: beenthere on February 15, 2013, 11:46:56 PM
QuoteAnd that any valid Canadian driver's license is excepted.

I think SD means accepted. ;)
Either would be correct as used.
EXCEPTED from the law, or ACCEPTED as valid.

SwampDonkey

Thank goodness the computer puts the · over the l's. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I can get away with those misshaps, but you are suppose to know how to write your language.  ;D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

According to Bob, it was valid. Good enough. ;D Can't be accountable for brain farts. That's why I don't believe in tests marks with weight on spelling mistakes and words used that you made a mistake in using and you know is the wrong word. It should be based on knowledge. ;) And also a test based on memorizing, is not considered comprehension and knowledge. ;D Makes a good recital test, that's about it. ;)

isawlogs

So... what is da difference between the two .. as far as I go, they both sound the same  ;D :P

Marcel

beenthere

I'll yield the floor to the forester from WA.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

I don't really care whom takes the floor, I only need to know what the difference is ...  ::)

Marcel

BaldBob

Excepted = excluded, as in those holding valid Canadian licenses would be excluded from enforcement of that law if it were amended. Accepted = included, as in holders of a valid Canadian license would be included in those allowed to drive in Fla without an International license if that law were amended.
SD's statement was simply "And that any valid Canadian driver's license is excepted.", and could be taken to mean that they wouldn't be subject  to the provisions of that law.  But saying accepted would also work to convey the same end meaning- OK to drive in Fla with a Canadian license instead of an IDL.
Thus in this specific case, although the words 'accepted' and "excepted" have almost exactly opposite meanings, either, as used in SD's statement, can convey the same end meaning.
Sorry to come off as so pedantic, but my mother was an English teacher who was constantly on my case.

SwampDonkey

That's what you get for crossing a teacher.  ;D Hmm, my grandmother and all three daughters were teachers. :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!