iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

International drivers license for Florida. ??

Started by isawlogs, February 13, 2013, 07:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I was told  today that if I was going to drive to Florida or rent a car in Florida, I would be needing an international drivers license to drive  in Florida... Can one of you Floridians check this out for me. Not that I am planning a trip tomorow morning, but would like to know if this is true or not.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

Hey Marcel!
Heard you are coming to Florida.
So, when are you coming. :D
I just sent your question to someone who should know and will let you know what he says.
I'll google it also.

Slabs

Vicious rumor Marcel.  Hertz says they will rent to you anywhere in the States with your Canadian  license.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

sawguy21

We have rented a car in the U.S. not a problem. Enjoy the journey.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mooseherder

WDH

If you come down Interstate 75 to Florida, you had better stop and see me or I will put the hounds on your trail  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Tell us your route and we will plan your trip or you.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

David could buy you some BBQ  ;D.  (Or better yet, make some for you.)

I like the idea of several of us well-meaning Forum members assisting you in the planning of the trip!  I volunteer to help David  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I have been told that Florida has passed this law as of january of this year...  You guys can plan all you want ... this is a maybe for next year.   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

All you will need is a whack of time and gas money  :D.

Mooseherder

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You can come this year for PLOTTING PURPOSES only. And next year, you'll know exactly where to go.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Yes!  A trial run!

You could do a trial run on the grits, too, so that you do not stumble on them when you come down for real  :D.

isawlogs

Ya had to go and mention those things     >:( >:( 
  With gas at where it is , I don't beleive a trial run will go by easy...   ;)

Marcel

Al_Smith

On a trip like that probabley the cheapest gas would be in Beaverdam Ohio where I-75 and US 30 cross .Avoid anything south of Dayton Ohio if possible .Northern KY about 40 miles south of Cincinnati would be better .

Cincy and Atlanta are the two most conjested areas . Valdosta Georgia is a lot cheaper usually than north Florida .Florida isn't bad once you get out of that rat race around Orlando .Those people are crazy .

isawlogs

Crazy drivers....  I can compete, trust me .  ;D

Marcel

thecfarm

isawlogs,there are planning a ambush. They will tie you up and force feed you grits.Trust no one.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

What I heard this morning was that the Floridian police force would like to be able to read our drivers licence.. well ours are all in French, and an International license is in English.

Anybody find anything about this..... ??? :P :P

Marcel

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

isawlogs

Marcel

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Slabs

They must have snuck that one in on us quietly.  From my news station in Panama City:

International Law/Treaties was one of my suspicions about the validity of such a regulation.  We enjoy a large community of "Snowbirds",mostly from Canada here in the panhandle and the first challenge of the reg probably wouldn't have passed muster.

I remember several years ago when Quebec began it's movement toward French autonomy.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

isawlogs

I like the last sentence,  :D  So are there some that inforce it and others that don't ???   

Marcel

Slabs

Note that is the policy of the State traffic law-enforcement agency to  accept foreign drivers licenses.  If you have issues in some podunk hamlet that insists on using tor law to issue a citation, you're at their mercy but appeals would throw out any such citation.

On the other side of the coin, if a foreign national(I can't accept our Canadian Neighbors as foreigners) were to become involved in an accident and investigating officers were not able to interpret the information that is not in English/American, it would complicate the accident investigation , especially if the driver were seriously injured or on an ambulance en-route to medical care.

I also have issues with a $25 fee for a "permit" for international travel.  A state's/Privince's issuance of such a permit, merely to transcend any language barriers, would be more appropriate and at something like $2 - $5.

Don_Papenburg

I thought that you guys up in the great white north had to have english/french print on all documents.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!