iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BBBBBBig Spider

Started by Autocar, February 13, 2013, 06:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I stopped at the neighbors tonight and he says look at this, his wife had bought a bunch of Dole Bananas in a plastic bag. There was a black spider his body was two inches long by a half inch wide and his legs were probably inch and three quarters long I mean to tell you it would scare the hair off a wooden leg. He had two bags of them and said the other bag was ok. Then I said maybe the other one escaped and he's in the house somewhere,needless to say he started barking like a coon dog with words I won't repeat on here  :D I will about bet you the rest of the night he will be seeing or feeling things crawing on him  ;D. Arn't loggers mean  :D  :D ?
Bill

fishpharmer

I'll be inspecting bags of banana's before buying them.  Was the spider alive when it was found?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Autocar

Yes it was Roger said it ran out of the bag and he killed it. Also said it had holes ate into the bananas and they smell reaily bad.
Bill

sawguy21

What a wuss. Spiders have to make a living too. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Cedarman

Spiders are insect eaters.  Get rid of the insects, get rid of the spiders.  Insects stay away from eastern red cedar, so our mill is pretty much spider free.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

okmulch

I have seen spiders here in Oklahoma that are tarantula type. I have no idea what they are other than you can see them cross the road here in our subdivision while driving 30 mph.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

thecfarm

Good fodder for the OWB.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I don't really like them poiseness spiders, and I kinda wish I had'nt read this post now, bad dreams for sure, I better watch some swamp people.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Den Socling

If it was a Brazilian Wandering spider you are lucky you didn't get a bite. They are very poisonous. And they are found in bags of bananas.

CHARLIE

Here is a picture of a Brazilian Wandering Spider.  One of the most deadly spiders in the world. Wow! I'm gonna be careful around bananas! :o :o :o

http://tizona.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/spider-of-the-day/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Roger2561

Thankfully we don't huge spiders up here in northern New England we get small ones.  Even when I see a small spider, they give the willies.  Snakes on the other hand don't bother me as much as spiders.  This past spring when I was stacking my fire wood for heating season 2014/15 a snake was coiled up looking up at me.  I picked it up and it coiled itself around my index finger.  That little bugger was rude.  It stuck it's tongue out at me.  No snake is gonna be rude to me and think he's gonna get away with it.  So, I stuck my tongue out at him.  But after a few minutes of amusing myself with it, I placed it on the stonewall and slithered away.  But, that dang spider the size of a dime?  Well now, i wasn't going next to that pile of fire wood until it was gone.  I won't even get close to kill it.  Roger   
Roger

Autocar

No that dosen't look like the spider , it's body was longer and he was black as coal my neighbor said it had some red on it also. I didn't see the red but it was a big spider :D.
Bill

Sonofman

If it was black and as big as a quarter or perhaps a little larger with red on the abdomen, usually just spots or other markings on top, with the hourglass on the underside. There may not be any red on the top of the abdomen, especially if the spider is young. I would say it was a Black Widow. They are fairly common down here in the South. They hang out on old junk cars and firewood that has been stacked for a while. They are posionous, but are not real deadly if you get prompt medical treatment.

My treatment of spiders is like unto my treatment of unidentified snakes, I fulfill scripture and bruise his head or any other part I can reach.
Located due west of Due West.

JohnM

Quote from: Autocar on February 13, 2013, 06:58:40 PM
I stopped at the neighbors tonight and he says look at this, his wife had bought a bunch of Dole Bananas in a plastic bag. There was a black spider his body was two inches long by a half inch wide and his legs were probably inch and three quarters long...

That was the first shiver and neck hair raising the second was looking at that picture. yikes_smiley  Holy heebee geebees Batman!

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

red

Since reading this story last year I remove the bag at the Store
www.panamadisease.org is an incurable fungus of the Worlds Favorite Fruit also called Bananageddon
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

r.man

Roger have you ever heard of dock spiders? They look a bit like a tarantula can swim and going underwater doesn't kill them. We have them in Ontario and we are quite a bit more northerly than you are. I dislike furry spiders.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

ozarkgem

some where in Banana land there is a guy laughing his ash off about putting that spider in a sack of Bananas .
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ryan D

Quote from: r.man on July 07, 2014, 08:54:00 PM
Roger have you ever heard of dock spiders? They look a bit like a tarantula can swim and going underwater doesn't kill them. We have them in Ontario and we are quite a bit more northerly than you are. I dislike furry spiders.

We get the dock spiders here too. Scares the heck out of most people when they run across their feet. I'm not bothered by spiders or snakes but we don't have any dangerous ones here in NS. I spent some time in Australia when I was younger though and was always paranoid.

Windy_Acres

Here in the rather mundane area of Northern Illinois (as far as fauna), I lost a high school buddy a couple years back, I think we where 45 at the time, he took a bite on his foot from a brown recluse, and did not survive the incident.

Most of that was because the recluse is not "common" although present, in otherwords, those that get bit, usually dont know or care what they got bit by because its usually not a problem. From what I understand, he did NOT seek immediate treatment, he lost his foot, then his lower leg, then his life. Girl friend works with another guy, younger, same thing, foot bite, he only lost some tissue on the top of his foot, he got immediate treatment.

I killed one in the shop this week, like I said, they are not common here, but they are here, so I keep an eye out for them. I usually come across them in stacks of lumber, or sheet goods.

Our house is 110 years old, we gutted it, when we rocked it, I sealed each sheet seam with the floor with acoustical caulk, and the wall cavities are sprayed with open cell foam. Ive also caulked the face seam of all the sheet rock where it meets the floor. Our basement houses thousands and thousands of spiders, but the first floor is pretty much devoid of them, but that did not used to be the case. Littile SOB's used to eat me alive in bed every night !

Den Socling

I knew a little about brown recluse but Googled them again. They live everywhere you don't want them to be.
Rotting bark
Attics
Basements
Closets
Sheds
Barns
Woodpiles
Shoes
Dressers
Toilets
Cardboard boxes
Behind pictures
In unused beds

Woodboogah

Speaking of big spiders.  I have never seen a spider this big in the woods.  This is in NH   

Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Magicman

Ta eat dat much bark off of a log, it's gotta be big.   :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

I was sitting here watching the Science Channel a couple minutes ago. I felt something walking down my right arm. I instinctively flicked away with my left hand. A spider landed on the floor. Our dog, Kona, was laying here chewing a bone. He left his bone and landed on that spider in a flash. The spider didn't survive the pounce.  :D

reswire

I'm buying insect foggers tomorrow and bombing the crap out of my crawl space!  Dern Forestry Forum.... >:( >:(
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Thank You Sponsors!