iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-2400 primary charge tube creosote

Started by Local4Fitter, February 13, 2013, 06:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Local4Fitter

Just went out to load my boiler and saw that the fire was out. This is what happened. The nut and bolt that hold the damper plate to the primary solenoid came off, and when the solenoid opened the plate didn't lift up to let air in. While fixing this problem I noticed there was a gooey puddle of creosote in the primary charge tube. Anybody have this problem? What is the best way to remove this?
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

doctorb

With that solenoid closed and the fans running, air from the reaction chamber and firebox is no longer flowing correctly. Others have noticed, mostly at the end of year clean out, that the primary (upper left on my 2300) solenoid intake can gather sone creosote.  I think it's the abnormal blockage of air intake from the solenoid malfunction that would lead to an increased buildup in that tube, as burned gases are forced in the wrong direction with solenoid closure and the fans running.  Just my opinion.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

AsaG

Strangely enough, I had the exact same thing happen to the primary on my 2400 a couple of weeks ago.  A few days after attaching the plate, it came loose again.  The second time I looked a little closer at the condition of the bolt and nut.  Comparing the existing with new 1/4x20 hardware revealed just how decayed the existing hardware was. It was clean just much less material remained; as if it had been sandblasted.  I replaced all three of mine with stainless 1/4x20 hardware and will keep an eye on it to see how it works out. The secondaries weren't nearly as decayed as the primary though.

I clean out the solenoid charge tubes at least once a year and didn't notice much more buildup than normal when I reattached the plate.   

Local4Fitter

I noticed the same with my issue today AsaG. The bolt didn't have creosote on it, but it looked as if it were widdled down with a sandblaster. Great idea with the stainlees hardware. I'm on it first thing in the morning. Lock washers too.
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: Local4Fitter on February 13, 2013, 09:39:16 PM
I noticed the same with my issue today AsaG. The bolt didn't have creosote on it, but it looked as if it were widdled down with a sandblaster. Great idea with the stainlees hardware. I'm on it first thing in the morning. Lock washers too.

theyu look like that because the plate swivles some and they are slightly loos and just weare away over time.....

Local4Fitter

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on February 14, 2013, 09:29:06 AM
Quote from: Local4Fitter on February 13, 2013, 09:39:16 PM

theyu look like that because the plate swivles some and they are slightly loos and just weare away over time.....
Actually the bolt on my boiler were worn away at the end where the threads are exposed to all the air rushing by, not where the bolt goes through the damper plate. I'm heading outside now to change all three bolts over to stainless.

Local4Fitter

Just changed out all 3 damper bolts to stainless. The secondary and high combustion damper bolts looked fine. Maybe due to less air passing by them.

Logging logginglogging

seriously though... is just wear like i said up above. Not a big deal....

lol...air rushing by lol......

Roger2561

This year the creosote build up wasn't as bad as last year in the primary air in my E-classic 1400 due to the air temps being much colder this year than last year.  Last year I had to clean it every month due to the creosote level blocking more than 50% of the air tube.  However, I will buy a quantity of stainless steel nuts and bolts for it.  When I put her down for the summer, I inspect everything anyway so this is just another item on the check list.  That's what makes sites like these so great.  The sharing of information to benefit everyone.  Roger     
Roger

Logging logginglogging

When i first got my stove i saw some of the chunks in there from the previous owner. I cleaned them out and never got them again.

Thank You Sponsors!