iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing for Fellow FF Friends

Started by Magicman, February 13, 2013, 06:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Dodgy Loner brought some beams by this afternoon to be resawed into lumber.  He assured me that he had gotten the nails out, so this would be a fun project.

The beams were all tight grained heart Pine, and we also split a small Basswood.

The majority was sawed 4X4 with a couple of 8X4, plus one nail and two staples.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

1 nail and 2 staples are well worth a day with another member.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Nothing like having good connections,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

So Dodgy goes into the regular customer base when he says I got all of the metal out. :D Just picking Dodgy but you said it. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Shotgun

Apparently Dodgy didn't mention anything about getting all the staples out. Most anybody could miss a nail.   ;)

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

WDH

Dodgy,

Did you haul that all the way back from Haiti  ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I think that it came off of the Ark.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: customsawyer on February 13, 2013, 06:47:57 PM
So Dodgy goes into the regular customer base when he says I got all of the metal out. :D Just picking Dodgy but you said it. ;D

Hey now, my exact words were something along the lines of "You'll never get all the nails out, but I did the best I could". Magicman is putting words in my mouth :D I know better than to promise that all the nails are out ;)

Quote from: WDH on February 13, 2013, 09:41:26 PM
Did you haul that all the way back from Haiti  ???.

Nope, but I did see some acacia that I wished I could have brought back from Haiti! I saw a house being bulldozed a few miles from here, and they offered me whatever I wanted before they burned it. I little winching and I had some very nice, very tight-grained heart pine beams. Most of the lumber we got was perfectly quartersawn. It is bee-you-tee-full 8)

Thanks again for working me in on short notice Lynn! :) I got the boards stickered last night and they should be ready to go within a month!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

sigidi

Always willing to help - Allan

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

He put the nail and staples in his pocket.  Maybe he's gonna make a watch fob.   ;D

WDH

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on February 14, 2013, 08:19:42 PM
Whatcha gonna do with them?

You mean there's another step after sawing them into lumber? Hmmm...I'm not sure about this...Let me reference my handy guide to sawmilling:

Step 1: Collect wood
Step 2: Saw it into lumber
Step 3: Do something with the lumber

Drat! It appears you're right. I always forget Step 3! smiley_furious3
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Mooseherder

Dry it according to the strict rule book first. ;D

WDH

Step 3A.  Hoard the lumber.

Step 3 only comes after an interminable time after step 3A  :D.

Magicman

Well at least you could sell the watch fob at a flea market.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!