iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knotty or nice?

Started by hackberry jake, February 08, 2013, 03:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Usually when I am making furniture, I cut clear (nice) pieces out of my lumber and I end up with pieces with knots and short pieces. They usually end up in the fireplace. But I got to thinking, with most of the woods I have felt with, there is usually nice figure around the knot. Why not save these cut offs and patch them all together for a coffee table top or something. I know wdh prides himself on finding and using knot free cedar which I think is awesome because it's unique. Well this would be the other end of the spectrum... Added to the list; the "knotty coffee table". I would make a lot of neat stuff if I ever got time  :-\
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

I know there is a buyer for a knotty coffee table.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tree Feller

There will be a buyer for the clear or the knotty Cedar if it is well crafted. Don't use the knotty stuff where it will be subjected to load or stress but for visual appeal, you can't get much better.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Lud

Interesting perspective that you use or.  It implies that knotty can't be nice.  And sure, clear stock feeds production , factory  furniture and so the public's eye is brainwashed that that is desirable.

Knots are natural and can , chosen carefully,  give a piece, character!1......and be "nice" too!!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

drobertson

I have found folks like character, but it is often that whatever is stacked when folks see the boards they say "nice looking boards" whether clear or knotty,  just depends on what someone wants for a particular project. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

T Welsh

SPIKER

:D Wellnow you could also make "KNOTTY" head boards or foot boards ehehe   Ya that could be one good marketing logo there.    the "Knotty or Nice" bedroom furnature company ;)  ::) 8) :o

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!