iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roadside Litter

Started by Magicman, February 13, 2013, 08:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Here in Michigan, and especially since they past the bottle return law years ago, the ltter problem isn't all that bad. There is a good deal of roadways that are adopted out to organizations, and even family's to pick-up trash.

When I went down to visit Tom, and maybe things have changed a bit, I hope, I noticed that some of the roads we took to different saw hobs were so littered, that I thought it was a landfill. Really really bad. Maybe I was just used to our roadways.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Black_Bear

You should see the roads up here once the snow melts. 5 months of litter is exposed for all to see. The state crews do a good job cleaning up the litter in the spring, and because of our bottle return law the bottle/can collectors can be seen scouring the ditches as soon as bare ground is exposed. Sometimes whole families can be seen walking each side of the road while someone drives slowly along the shoulder of the road. I always wonder if they collect enough bottles to pay for the gas it takes for a days excursion? 

Magicman

I was traveling behind a garbage truck that had stopped at a convenience store for beverages.  The worker hanging on the back of the truck threw his can out onto the road shoulder instead of simply dropping it into the back of the truck.

I watched a guy that I knew that operated a fruit/vegetable stand, discard his empty drink cup at a traffic intersection.  I was behind him, so I stopped, retrieved his garbage, and followed him back to his business.  I got out, walked up to him, and handed him his cup.  He was still standing there with his mouth open when I left.  OK, I did tell him what I thought about his actions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WH_Conley

I followed a pickup truck in my lane one day. They didn't know I was behind them. The one on the passenger side threw a pop can out. I stopped and got it, caught back with them by the time they got to the mill lot. As soon as I got out of my truck the passenger wanted to know if I had any slabs for firewood. I replied, "No, I think you dropped something, I know you didn't mean to lose it", and pitched the can back to him as I came around the truck. Talk about a funny look, good reflexes too, he caught it before it hit him. They have never been back.
Bill

gunman63

2 things, u talk about the Indian crying commerical, go out to the pine ridge reservation in SD  and  tell me they  cry about littering, or a few up here in northern  minnesota.

a few  years  back,  me and the girl friend were  just driving out of the  local movie theather, the car in front of us, 2  younger  kids,  well 18-20 years old,  just  left the  show hall, and was pulling out of the  driveway from it, we were right behind them, threw out a big  plastic  cup of pop/soda. come on u  just left the  showhall, u could have  put it in the  garbage.  well i had to follow them, they headed into town,  for about 5 miles,  they pulled into a strip mall,  i pulled up beside them, rolled  down the  window, and  told them they had a choice,  go back and  pick it up, PLUS  6 other peices of  trash or i would  turn them in, i got there  plate number, it was there  choice,  i wasnt mean or loud , just matter of  fact. I said i would  follow them back to make  sure it was done, and they  did,  they went  back and i followed them, and  they picked it up, plus the  6 more, well she  picked it up, she was the one that threw it out, not the  guy. maybe they threw it out later, but i made a point, u never know  whos watching.

Sonofman

This reminds me of the job I had in high school. I worked at the town McDonald's, and one of my jobs was from time to time go out on the parking lot and pick up the trash. I went out one night on a weekend and there was a car with a boy and girl in it about my age, I could tell they were on a date. As I got closer to the car while picking up trash, he rolled his window down and tossed his trash out right in front of me. I could hear the girl laugh and that made my blood boil. I walked over with a smile, bent down, picked up the trash, straightened up still smiling, and threw it in his lap while saying, "I know what your house looks like!" Needless to say, he did not like that. He came out of the car and I thought we would fight right there. I was scrawny then and I figured he would beat me like a drum, but I was really mad and did not care. We jawed for a few minutes, and I walked off and finished picking up the lot. He went inside to the bathroom to try to clean off his clothes, then went to the manager to complain. I walked in just as the manager walked up front to talk to him. The manager told him that if he was going to be that kind of customer, we did not need or want his business. As the guy left in a huff, the manager hi fived me and told me to be careful, he did not want me getting beat up over a little trash on the pavement.
Located due west of Due West.

Raider Bill

I was following a car one night was just about to pass him when a half empty beer bottle came flying out of the  window and smashed on the hood of my car. Glass and beer everywhere. He followed up with a middle digit. Imagine his surprise when he realized I was driving a marked police car :D :D

We spoke for awhile, got to know each other. Heck I even gave him a place to spend the night :D :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Al_Smith

That tire business could be easily eliminated if here was a place to drop them off or at least be lesser of .

It's the politics of trash .Often the trash collectors will not take old appliances auto parts etc . So they end up by mid night delivery to about the first county road outside a municipality .

I'm going to give Van Wert Ohio a little plug .They addressed the situation and built a recycling center .Rather than whine about it they made a difference .It's funded in part by tax but if they didn't take the bull by the horns the county road crews would be digging old tires and refridgeraters out of the county ditchs any way .

The people can haul anthing in there within reason .Haul a load of brush in and haul out a load of ground mulch if they wanted to ,free .It's kind of cute watching them attack hauled in tree trunks and big rounds on the week ends with their little saws for fire wood .What the hey it's certainly better than letting it rot away tossed in a county ditch so it's a win win situation .

drobertson

We live about a mile up from a local river access, everyone knows about the road signs? ones that show an upcoming cross road or entry, these sign are targets! for the beer bottles, one 50 yards from the mill, every day especially during the summer months you can here the hits, followed by the laughs, kinda makes me mad, harder to clean up shattered bottles,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

harrymontana

it is not just lazy people who wants to get rid easily of their trash, also it is very expensive to handle and much cheaper just to dump it somewhere. I have just seen a documentary where New York trash collectors make a $75,000 a year (there are 2 on each truck), the truck itself costs $350,000 besides its maintenance, so the trash issue is not for free.
everything on hardwood

Al_Smith

Trash collection on a large scale is highly political . The Waste Management company for example is a very large scale operation with a lot of politions in their pockets .

Of course none if this info has a thing to do with people littering up the county side because they too lazy to dispose of the stuff in a proper manner .Kind of like a bunch of little kids hiding their chewing gum on the bottom of the church pew .Look some time if you think I'm kidding .Geeze now that's nasty !

Jeff

Each time I see this topic title, the optimistic side of me hopes to see a heart warming photo of a dog with puppies along a pretty country road.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

Well that's another sad subject all together .

chevytaHOE5674

I live on a 1.5 mile long dead end country road with about 6 houses on it. During the summer the other half and I go for evening walks and pickup aluminum cans that are worth 10 cents here in Michigan. I can't for the life of me understand the appeal of driving up and down the same short dead end road drinking Busch Light and then tossing the cans out the window. Last summer we collected 76 dollars worth of cans just by going on walks down our little road. We got to go out to eat a few times on the "booze cruisers" last fall.

thecfarm

I may get 2-3 cans a year off my dead end dirt road with 6 houses on it.  :D But get the paper wrappers,plastic bags,coffee,soda cups. I keep looking for a deposit on them,but the landfill keep telling me no.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

:D Well I'm going to tell you what .You live down a desolate road the kids use for lovers lane you're going to find more than beer cans .

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Den Socling

One morning I saw a car sitting in the end of my driveway. I went down to investigate and saw the windshield was smashed. They took the inspection sticker. They also took the license plate. But the morons didn't think of the VIN. I called the cops and it was promptly removed. I'm sure that that lead to a rude awakening for the morons.

Al_Smith

We had one some fool ditched in the alley behind one of our rentals . A call to the local constabulary had it on it's way to the impound lot in about 45 minutes .

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 15, 2013, 08:11:25 AM
I was following a car one night was just about to pass him when a half empty beer bottle came flying out of the  window and smashed on the hood of my car. Glass and beer everywhere. He followed up with a middle digit. Imagine his surprise when he realized I was driving a marked police car :D :D

We spoke for awhile, got to know each other. Heck I even gave him a place to spend the night :D :D :D

Good one , I like that :D :D :D I have friends and a son in law enforcement  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

easymoney

someone mentioned old refrigerators car parts and such being dumped. we have scrap dealers here that will pay you for anything with enough metal content to it. if someone was to dump anything metal beside the road it would not stay there long. an acquaintance of mine had a new central heat unit put in her house. she asked the installer to leavethe old one in the yard for a friend that wanted it. someone came by and got it before her friend go there.

m wood

Yeah about the scrap metal.  I am in the household and commercial recycling biz.  I train individuals with disabilities to sort (often by hand) different grades of glass, metals, fiber products, all plastics and anything considered a household electronic device.  We dont turn anything away...ever.  We will pick it up at your site or allow drop-offs 8 hours a day.  The only thing we charge for is something with a refrigerant.  We charge $5-$10 and then get charged $15 to have the coolant released/contained, go figure.

In our community, you still see these things discarded just about anywhere!
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Brad_bb

I walk the 1/3 mile in front of my farm about once a month or so.  Road drinkers are the biggest problem.  I pick up a full 45 gal garbage bag of stuff every time.  I am retentive enough to separate the recyclables into my recycle bin.  I just hate sending stuff that could be used to a landfill unnecessarily.  Makes for less garbage.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ianab

"Political" posts will usually end up in the woodshed....
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tree Feller

I've got the same problem along the county road where I live. Every time I mow the 440' road frontage of my place, I have to pick up a sack full of litter...fast food wrappers, beer cans, bottles, diapers...

Public education along with rigid law enforcement and hefty, mandatory fines are the only thing that will help. Courtesy and respect for one's neighbors seem to be foreign concepts for a large portion of the populace these days.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!