iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We need ideas on how to deal with this monster log...

Started by JSwigga, February 12, 2013, 11:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSwigga

We got this enormous oak in 2 months ago from a tree service.  We are thinking about quartering the whole thing.  It won't fit in the slabber.  All they've been good for is a conversation piece.   Any ideas on what we should do with it?  It's about 12 ft long and 75" on butt end and 60" on the small end. oh and its 9 tons

60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

buzzegray

You have a problem there. Send it to me and I will take the poor thing off your hands.

JSwigga

Hahah.. I'm serious! I have no experience in dealing with something of this size.  (edit by admin)
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Solomon

Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

scully

First I would get a big saw with a big bar and cut a couple table tops off the but end ,then with a real sharp chain start ripping ! That hydrolic jack vid is indeed great ! still need to make a rip pass !
I bleed orange  .

scully

Oh and I am in central N.Y. cover my costs and I'll bring the super 40 and my saws .....Just a thought
I bleed orange  .

hackberry jake

Perfect log for quarter sawn oak! Can you imagine what a quarter sawn oak board 30" wide would be worth? $$$$
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

T Welsh

JSwigga, Break it down and quarter it! I have done a couple that size and its the only way to get it to size that will fit unto the mill. Very few people have the resources to do this,let along the money to pay us for all the extra work involved. Good Luck. Tim

dgdrls

Scale it and market the log to a custom home builder or
commercial builder.   Check with the local wood workers/cabinet makers.

No point in sawing it to have a pile of "wrong lumber"

Would it pay to seal the ends?

Just some thoughts,

DGDrls

terrifictimbersllc

What equipment do you have? Who will pay for it?   
Options for milling are
- quarter it with a chain saw, then bandsaw it (you still have to handle the quarters),
- swing mill it (scooting the mill sideways and/or putting it up on blocks if necessary),
- slab it (after shaving it down on the sides and top....again, put the mill on blocks if necessary.....remember you only have to shave it where over the max width, still can get natural edge slabs above and below the center, also, Lucas makes a 6' slabber), or
- blow it up with black powder  :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Leigh Family Farm

Whatever you figure out, post a video or lots of pictures.

MY initial thought would be to measure the biggest bar I had, lets say 24". Measure in that depth on the butt end, and draw a vertical line. Got to where the line reaches the top of the log, measure down 24", and draw a horizontal line. I would do my best to saw out that 24"x24" corner section and put that on the mill to saw up into boards. Repeat until you get the whole log down to a manageable size. I have no idea if this works, its only a theory, and me  thinking on how I would try to do it.

Good luck!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

loggah

You could put a 2" auger hole in it and use some black powder and a fuse and split it in half and do it again and quarter it the same way ,quick and easy. We used to do it on big hard maple and elm ,im sure it will work well on straight grained oak. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

drobertson

Big one for sure when you say "got this from"  does that mean you bought it?  and do you want it?  I would think If you do want it then you just have to make it fit your mill,  The splitting technique looked like something worth looking into,,  It has to be at or over 1000bd/ft, so it has value for sure,  have fun, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

When you split it, pay attention to that heart check.  Any lumber is going to split there anyway, so use it to your advantage.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: loggah on February 13, 2013, 08:04:09 AM
You could put a 2" auger hole in it and use some black powder and a fuse and split it in half and do it again and quarter it the same way ,quick and easy. We used to do it on big hard maple and elm ,im sure it will work well on straight grained oak. Don

Just a slot made from your chainsaw kerf will work as well if you don't have an auger. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

scsmith42

Joshua, I mill logs like that frequently.  Here is how I do it.

First, us a chainsaw to trim off the butt flare, so that the log is somewhat symetrical from end to end.

Next, center the pith in relation to your swingblade mill - both horizontally as well as vertially. 

Next, mill the top 1/3 of the log, with the goal of producing as much vertical grain lumber as possible.  After milling the top third, make a maximum depth cut with your blade vertical down into the pith of the log.

Turn the log over, and repeat this process.  After the new "top 1/3" is milled off, make your second vertical plunge cut so that it intersects with the first one.  You will now have split the center 1/3 of the log into two log sections - one half from each side of the log.

Set these sections up and double cut them - yielding ultra-wide QS.

This milling pattern will yield a lot of 10" QS and RS boards (if you have a 10" WPF swingblade saw), as well as some 20" wide QS boards.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dboyt

Might consider cutting some cookies for round table tops.

Here's a vid of splitting oak with black powder.  Way too much fun!  If you go this route, take pictures (or video)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG8y5sPOFGM
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Tree Feller

I would call Customsawyer. Works for WDH!   :D :D :D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: dboyt on February 13, 2013, 09:37:59 AM
Might consider cutting some cookies for round table tops.

Here's a vid of splitting oak with black powder.  Way too much fun!  If you go this route, take pictures (or video)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG8y5sPOFGM
I thought I was at the pinnacle of fun with the wood mizer.  This gives me something new to aspire to.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kensfarm

terrifictimbersllc

stand it on end and chainsaw carve it to look like Devil's Tower!    Or Mt. Doom!  Hey maybe Okrafarmer would like it!

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

loggah

Like Jeff said if you dont have a auger,just plunge cut a long bar in it to put the gunpowder in it. Black powder is a lot cheaper ,and quicker then burning out a chainsaw quartering it. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!