iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got more wood!!!

Started by mmartone, February 12, 2013, 10:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

Went to pick up some cypress and cedar and they had this in front of that stuff. I had it loaded with the cedar and loft the cypress and sweetgum for next trip. They said its Birch, nothing like the birch trees I remember up north with the white bark hanging off of them. Its huge too, we are going to cut it tomorrow to get it off the trailer. The other end had 3 big limbs sticking out of it.

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

WDH

Birch?  Looks more like cherry, if you could be so lucky!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chet

Could be yellow birch. It will sometimes get a real dark red color to it. Often I have heard the lumber refered to as cherry birch.

I love it for woodworking, great color and wild grain patterns.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

mmartone

The grain pattern at the base looks like rows of flower petals, I'll get some pics in the daylight. I was going to cut the limbed end into 2" slabs and the base into lumber 1x, do I slab it or quarter saw it? Thanks
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

chet

Post a better pic of the bark.

If it is in fact yellow birch, just slab it.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Dodgy Loner

Did the tree come from Florida? If so, it's probably river birch. River birch has very rich, reddish brown heartwood. It is beautiful. That's a great find.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tyb525

Looks like river birch but could be cherry too
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

mmartone

Yes, right here in Panama City somewhere, riverbirch, cool. So saw it in slabs? 1", 2"?

ArborJake

Might be Black Birch. Does it smell like wintergreen ?
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

WDH

Not in Panama City, FL  ;D.  We don't see black birch south of the Appalachian mountains.  If it is river birch, the bark will be very stringy, scaly, peely, and it will be a salmon pink color.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

Now that I think of it I have seen that "flower" grain pattern on a cherry log too
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

mmartone

So I cut a piece of this log this evening, is it a birch or sorts?

JSwigga

60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

mmartone

I have those too but its something else...

WDH

My money is on cherry.  Can you take a good pic of the bark?  The bark of cherry and the bark of river birch are not similar.

mmartone

Hope this is good, its rough...

mesquite buckeye

Does not look like cherry bark.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

tyb525

Those slabs look a lot like hickory. But it's hard to tell.

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

A pic of a nice clean slice using a razor blade on the end grain will help.  To me, the bark pic is inconclusive.

SwampDonkey

Look at the end grain after scoring it with a utility knife. If it's speckled with tiny little white dots, it's birch. Not in rows, but random.

This is from yellow birch.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on February 19, 2013, 08:35:39 PM
A pic of a nice clean slice using a razor blade on the end grain will help.  To me, the bark pic is inconclusive.

Birchety birch birch ;D

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on February 20, 2013, 09:54:33 AM
Quote from: WDH on February 19, 2013, 08:35:39 PM

Birchety birch birch ;D

Ya sure ??? ??? ???

smiley_biggrin01

Thank You Sponsors!