iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What am I??

Started by tyb525, February 12, 2013, 08:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Color is accurate.

Thickness is 3/8 for reference :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Axe Handle Hound

WDH

Chinaberry or sassafras.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

Not quite ;) it is one of the fastest growing trees in the world, and does grow in Indiana. I cut it myself. :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Is it native or is it introduced? 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

Introduced in the late 1700s I think

WDH

A HA!

(that does not help me  :)).

You sure that it is not chinaberry  ???.

JSwigga

60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

tyb525

It's not chinaberry or eucalyptus, the wood ranges from  yellow/brown to green in color. This tree stinks, literally :)

beenthere

Tree of heaven

Ailanthus altissima
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

Okrafarmer

Quote from: tyb525 on February 13, 2013, 10:47:10 PM
Beenthere got it :)
I was just a little too late. The wood stinks when you cut it, doesn't it!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

tyb525

Stinks cause it smells and stinks cause it twists, bows, and warps like crazy right off the saw, or that log did anyways.

Okrafarmer

I milled one and decided that was enough. Ailanthus really is a stinker. Oh, and your lumber looks nicer than mine did, so consider yourself lucky.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

tyb525

What you don't know is that board started out 1" thick. I had to joint and plane it several times (after drying) over a period of several weeks before it decided to settle down and quit moving. I was going to use it for a panel in a jewelry box lid but decided it wasn't stable enough.

mesquite buckeye

Looks like a deodor cedar I know..... :)

OOPS. Didn't realize you already got there.....Pretty nice for what is an invasive in AZ.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Okrafarmer

Ailanthus is an invasive anywhere on this continent. For all I know, it's invasive on every continent!

petefrom bearswamp

My Dendrology  prof told us it was the subject tree in the mid 1900s novel A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Okrafarmer

Yep, it's what grows in the concrete parts of the earth! Then again, it seems to grow in the pristine parts too, making them somewhat less pristine. Ailanthus is one of the trees that poisons the ground for many other plants.

Thank You Sponsors!