iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone Sharpen their own planer blades?

Started by Cypressstump, February 12, 2013, 03:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

I have 10 sets of blades/knifes that came with the 15" planer I bought. All are in good but dulled shape, No nicks or chips, evidently swapped out in timely fashion it seems. I have tried to find a local source for sharpening them to no avail. The only place I've found is near New Orleans and they want .65 per inch, which is a bit higher than I was hoping for. That's over 300 bucks for all the knifes I have to sharpen..... :-[

I did find a Makita sharpener never used for a decent price, one made for planer knifes up to 15 3/4".... but I have not yet heard back from the seller.

What do you planer owners do for sharpening?

stump

________I meant to post this in General Woodworking________
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

jdtuttle

I have a woodmaster 20" planer & use a Tormek sharpener. Does a pretty good job.
jim
Have a great day

Roxie

Say when

T Welsh

Cypressstump, I send mine out. I am not that good at sharpening ;D Tim

Cypressstump

Thanks Much Roxie !!! 

Im not into spending too much if I can help it, not saying that .65 cents per inch is not the going rate, but, dog gone it, I just bought the planer,,, looking fer a break ! ;D  I made/modified a wooden jig, but currently limited on correct length and grit sandpaper to hand sharpen them, but did give er' heck and managed to help a bit with some 400 grit roll paper and surprisingly a correct angled profile or so it seems.

I surely hope the seller of that makita unit comes thru, it looks like a very nice tool to have for all flat edged tool sharpening needs.

Now there ya go Jim, jus' had to rub that in a  bit huh ? ?   ;)  I was trying to deal on a nice 20" Woodmaster, made the guy a cash offer, he never responded to me personally. 2 weeks later I call him, he sold the thing a few days eariler for the same price I offered... just my luck.

Stump
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

1938farmall

cyprussstump - i have the makita and it comes with 1000grit stone.  it's nice for finishing the blades but takes forever to get to that point.  i have been thinking about making another coarser stone for the unit.  al
aka oldnorskie

Tree Feller

I have a friend who sharpens mine. I saw logs for him in return.

I have a Jet Wet Sharpener and the Tormek planer blade sharpening jig will work on it but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on one so far...especially with my buddy being adept at sharpening.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

ely

i use the grizzly brand planer blade sharpener for my 15 inch blades... actually all my blades., i even "freehanded" a couple 3" blades off my hand joiner the other day... not recommended by the health and safety org.

Axe Handle Hound

I've watched my father sharpen his Dewalt 12" blades using a standard bench grinder.  He clamps a simple 2 piece homemade jig to the tool rest on the grinder to keep the blades a consistent distance from the wheel and just slides the blades across the wheel by hand.  He makes light passes until he gets a bur rolling over the back of the blade.  Once that's done he cleans them up a bit on the finer wheel using the same jig and then runs an oil stone along the edge by hand for good measure.  It's crude and I would have told him that he'd end up with wavy edges had he asked my opinion first, but his blades turn out amazingly sharp and even. 

m wood

Cypressstump,  I have used 400 grit on my 6" belt as well.  I thought it worked out well...but im as cheap a do it yourselfer as ther is.  And my furniture is rustic.  Good luck
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

hillbillyhogs

I used to attempt it but, finally gave up. I send em  out for what it's worth

Slabs

I also have the Grizzly sharpener for my Grizzly 15 " planer and 6' joiner.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

pineywoods

I do my own. Wooden jig on a 12 inch bench disc sander.If I feel real picky, I mount a white stone on the spindle of my vertical milling machine. Works good, but too Dang slow. There's a local guy who has a part time business sharpening planer blades for all the local cabinet shops. Think he charges 50 cents / inch.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Happycamper

Cypresstump,
  I have a 16" Makita I bought in the 70's and use it a lot. Thousands of feet of lumber through it. I bought vertical  1 inch  belt sander from Lee Valley tools years ago along with quality belts. Clamped a steel rule, set the table at the correct angle  and move the blades back and forth by hand very evenly and it does a wonderful job. It just takes a little longer to remove nicks but they also vanish quite quickly. The sander was made in Quebec Province and sold at that time for $65.00 probably a little more now. It also sharpens the blades on my Makita hand planers . Haven't sent a blade out for years to be sharpened. Email me if you would like some photos of the unit and I'll be happy to send them to you.
                                       Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 1938farmall on February 12, 2013, 04:37:00 PM
cyprussstump - i have the makita and it comes with 1000grit stone.  it's nice for finishing the blades but takes forever to get to that point.  i have been thinking about making another coarser stone for the unit.  al
This is the issue with the various water stone based grinders on HSS blades/tools.  I use a Tormek to sharpen my 13" planer and other HSS blades (jointer blades and lathe tools), with the newer black silicon carbide wheel (I think it is called SG-250    http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-SG-250-Grindstone/dp/B0013N8Z0A ) replacing the gray/green one that came standard.  It still is a chore for the long planer blades but at least the stone isn't wearing very fast.   65 cents a foot isn't that bad, it's $1.00 around here.   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Cypressstump

Thanks for the excellent feedback fellers !  Apprciate it much !

I am picking up the unit today, brand new never opened in box for 250 bucks. I have read on line of a nice 120 grit and 6000 grit stones at reasonable prices. The unit gets mixed reviews as anything would on-line. I think it will serve me well, from what you've reported to me on the unit.
WooHoo.... 8)
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

terrifictimbersllc

Keep your fingers off that stone! It will feel nice and cool while it turns red!   :o :o :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Cypressstump

Good info,,,   but the courious guy I am has to ask,,,, Just how would know that ? ;D
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

Cypressstump

Well, The unit was almost as described to me, in the box, but slightly used, not new and un-used as said. But it did come with the standard 1000 grit stone plus the 6000 grit and a clamp for shorter jointer sized knives.

now the fun  learning begins.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Cypressstump on February 13, 2013, 05:04:12 PM
Good info,,,   but the courious guy I am has to ask,,,, Just how would know that ? ;D
Think I read it in a FWW review, then being the curious guy I am I tried it myself happens pretty quick!  :o :o :o

Thank You Sponsors!