iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snow... Needed a snow related project ! It's done !

Started by isawlogs, February 11, 2013, 09:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I believe once the slats are screwed with cross members, the rope is looped through from the tip of the bend (knotted) then down to the beginning of the bend, then secured along the length for hang on tight handles. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

lowpolyjoe
I first let them soak over night in a barrel of water.  Slats are 5/16" thick and vary from 2" to 3 1/4" in width.
I put them in the steamer and fire up the burner, I keep an eye on um till the steam starts to come out and let them in there for an hour or so after that.  I have kept the fire going till I have taken the last one out and have it on the form.
  Yes they will keep there bent form to a point , some spring back does occur, but I don't let them in the form for too long, I am guessing that if I let them sit till they are completly dry it would not spring back any. As SwampDonkey said, these have a rope go through the lip and is attached to a cross peice just below it, that will keep the curl in place, then the rope goes through each cross peice (one every 16") to the back to be used as " hang on tight " handles. A rope is also put through the front to be used as a pull rope.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the details.  Can't wait for more pics

isawlogs

With the snow coming down and pushing it around I have been set back a little, but have done some work to the tobggan.

12 screws to every crosser, I use some wax on the tip of the screw, it sure helps when driving them in.

I drilled the holes for the pull rope and put it in for a look see! there is a crosser on the other side for stiffness. ( Also, when Raider and Moose come down the hill it really needs all the help it can have,.. )

I have started at the front and working my way to the back with the crossers, and the hold on to rope. you can see here where the tow rope is knotted in.

Two more crossers to go and then break down for finishing, floor wax or bees wax for the surface that will be in contact with snow, exterior grade Poly for the rest.   :snowball:

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

That is some nice. I'm looking for my passport. I want to take the maiden voyage. But if you have any close neighbors they will be able to hear me and wonder what is going on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Ray for any neighbour here the hear you, you will need a mega, megaphone..... ;D  And then some. If and when you do find your trav'lin' papers, you just get your butt over here and we will send you down the hill.  8)

Jeff,   Thanks, I sure did not think there was so much to makin' one of those toboggans...  :-\ :D   

Marcel

Mooseherder

Looks like there is enough room for Raider Bill's size 13s up front as long as he tucks them in and angles them out. ;D
It also looks like it's big enough for 3 so Fishpharmer is in. :)

Axe Handle Hound

Reading this thread has me wanting to try building a toboggan...that's a great looking sled! 

SwampDonkey

Like everyone has said, that is one fine piece of work my friend. And yes, I can believe the work into it is something more than a casual weekend project.

Very nice. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

WOW !! Looks great, Marcel  8) 8)

I got to say that knowing your place there a little, I'm wondering which hill you're going to go down ??? I keep picturing you getting air over the railroad tracks but my little fantasy ends at that point  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Marcel, sign and date it. You have a great hand me down for generations to come.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

Joan.. Shiishhhhhh Don't let on that the hill can get ya air born , ya might scare those Floridian maiden voyage taken out of the ride....  ;D   :D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

A new meaning for "air time", although it will be much talked about. :D

Jeff

When I was a kid, we lived on the neighborhood toboggan hill. Literally. It was our back yard. Ail sorts of Church groups used to have toboggan and sledding parties at our place. I totaled our toboggan on it by putting a bale of hay and a sheet of plywood at the bottom.  The tobaggen came apart when we landed, and I had to be carried up the hill. I was a lot smaller when I was a kid. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

isawlogs

I got to do some more work to the Toboggan.   She might be ready for the middle of next week!
She mesures in at 6 feet 8 inches.

This is the finish I am using .  Bees wax for the bottom and the urethane for the rest. 6 coats should do it .. I hope.

First coat is done, I thought I had a pic of the bees wax , That will be tomorows mission. The Urethane and Bees wax meet at the second row of screws in the middle of the curl.

Marcel

isawlogs

Forgot about the helpers, they really like to get rid of evidence, they chew it all up, sometimes they chew on push sticks that fall to the ground, I do beleive they think that what ever falls is theres to do what ever with... and they do :-\   :D

Charlie in the lead with Balou following.

Marcel

Slab Slicer

That is one fine looking piece of craftsmenship. You should be proud of your work. Brings back a few memories of some tabboggan runs my brother made. He was the crazy one, and probably the only one needing stitches after a good afternoon of sledding. Icey ramps on steep hills, mixed with a well waxed tabboggan usually didn't end well.  :D :D
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Mooseherder

Very nice Marcel!  There's even room for Pigman to come along. :)

WDH

Mooseherder, Raider Bill, Fishpharmer, and now Pigman  ???.  You are going to have to build at least two and a half of them contraptions  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

:D :D Until the photos loaded on this dialup machine, I thought you had some pet beavers chewing up the tree tops left behind from the ash harvest. :D

drobertson

Marcel, thanks for showing you snow day project, very nice, looks great!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

isawlogs

Sorry SD, I should of broke up the pics into two or three per post, I forgot about the dial-ups.....

Ya know Danny, they could take turns coming down the hill... or do like we did at times and just pile up and go for the best, wich at times was not really the best outcome  ::) :D :D :D

Marcel

pigman

Quote from: Mooseherder on February 15, 2013, 10:30:49 PM
Very nice Marcel!  There's even room for Pigman to come along. :)
I will ride on Fishpharmer's shoulders so I can disembark before we hit the big tree.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!