I'm sawing in the rain
Just sawing in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again
I'm laughing at the clouds
So dark and yet
The sun's in my heart
And I'm sawing though wet

Can't y'all just picture Gene Kelly running a sawmill?   8)

I got home last Tuesday night and it's been wet every day but one. I sawed on that one clear day and intended to saw today as the forecast called for cloudy skies but no rain until tonight...wrong! It's been drizzling rain all day and this afternoon  I decided what the hey, I'm gonna saw anyway. So I did.

I got two Pine logs sawed into 1 x 8's before I quit...soaking wet. It was still fun, though.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

drobertson

I guess if you have to may hay while the sun's shining, then it stands to reason you must have to make boards while it is raining?  I guess as the saying goes" no time like the present"
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jay C. White Cloud

8)  8) :D :D Your funny, that was really good!
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

WoodenHead

Sawing is certainly fun.   :)

But...
I stopped sawing the rain.  Particulary when I was sawing pine and the weather is warmer.  I found that I was getting too much mold trying to dry the boards that I stacked wet.  So, after about 500 bdft of really moldy lumber, I decided that sawing in the rain wasn't worth it no matter how bad the craving.   ;)

hackberry jake

I saw in the rain from time to time. And I also saw at night sometimes. Sometimes at night while it's raining... Of course I'm always in here  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Since I do not saw in the rain, and if I see a lightening strike or hear thunder, it's shut down time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Yeah, as some have said in the past "Least yore mama taght ya to come in outa da rain..."

Herb

Red Clay Hound

I don't like sawing in the rain.  Sawdust sticks to everything, including me! :D
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

thecfarm

Sometimes you have too. One year we had rain-drizzle,just about every day. I was working out in the drizzle and one of my friends thought I was nuts to do it. Had to get something done,be it wet or not. I do prefer dry,but at times,just can't help it.
I really can not see Gene dancing around a sawmill with an umbrella.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Well at least your friend was not nuts.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Schramm

Hackberry,

I love your milling area!

losttheplot

Quote from: thecfarm on February 12, 2013, 10:33:28 PM

I really can not see Gene dancing around a sawmill with an umbrella.  :D

If he did it would have to be a Lucas mill and he wood be singing "I'm swinging in the rain"   ::)
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

thecfarm

He was just as bad off as me,he was out in the rain telling me I should not be working in it.  :D  That what friends are for. This is the same friend that steps out of his truck when I am working and he has a pair of gloves on before he closes his truck door to help me.  ;)

losttheplot, good one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

Quote from: Schramm on February 12, 2013, 10:37:46 PM
Hackberry,

I love your milling area!
Thanks Schramm! It sure comes in handy!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

OK, good friends can be nuts too.   smiley_thumbsup    :D

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on February 12, 2013, 09:16:28 PM
Since I do not saw in the rain, and if I see a lightening strike or hear thunder, it's shut down time.
Put a lightning rod on that umbrella!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

:D  And now I can not saw in the MUD either and I was set up to saw today.  I talked with the customer last evening, and he said "no way".  Can't get the sawmill to the logs so maybe next week.   ;D

Tree Feller

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 13, 2013, 07:01:43 AM
Put a lightning rod on that umbrella!

From 1972 to 1977 I was a derrickman on a land drilling rig. I never was struck but it can be interesting working over 100 ft. in the air on a steel tower during a thunderstorm. High wind actually bothered me more than the lightning.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!