iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone sharpening 7 degree blades on LTAGA grinder?

Started by glgdiggs, February 11, 2013, 05:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glgdiggs

I've been running 10 degree blades and setting and sharpening them myself, but the 120 or so that came with the mill are starting to break from metal fatique. I use a Dinasaw setter and a Woodmizer LTAGA sharpener with very good results. My question stems from the fact that 7 degree blades have a deeper gullet than 10 degree blades, but Woodmizer says the standard 10-30 cam is used and the motor angle is moved to 7 degrees. My confusion is the cam controls the depth. So is anyone using the LTAGA to sharpen 7 degree blades successfully. 7's seem the way to go when loblolly pine is 99% of what I saw, but if I can't sharpen them I'll stick with ordering 10's.

woodmills1

I have a 1993 woodmizer sharpener, but have upgraded my mill
I do sharpen 7 degree 1.5 blades with it with success
I cannot just hog at it like with 10 dgree 1.25
I use 2 or three passes
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Peter Drouin

I use to but when I went to the 7sx55x1 1/4, the stone would have to be dressed after each blade, to much time for me :D I went with the cbm, once you get away from the stone and go with the new cbm your eyes will see the big difference in your blades, I did the rock thing for years, for me the rock thing is a pith :D

for me this works good, do whats best for you , good luck :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tommone

Glgdiggs, seen this question a few times in the FF, same answer from WM, there will be a small difference of 1° at back of wheel angle but does not take care of gullet depth! Anyone out there with an answer to original question.?

Peter Drouin

Quote from: tommone on February 13, 2013, 06:47:32 AM
Glgdiggs, seen this question a few times in the FF, same answer from WM, there will be a small difference of 1° at back of wheel angle but does not take care of gullet depth! Anyone out there with an answer to original question.?

Well think about it the cam will only let the stone go down just so far.
You make the degree from a 10 to a 7, your guilet depth will be the same ,the cam makes the stone go from the top of the tooth down to the gullet , If you want to go deep in the guilet I think you need a new cam,I hope this helps
3 degree is not much, It might be less depth in the guilet
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brucer

While you can't make the gullet any deeper without a different cam, you can make the gullet wider by dressing the grinding wheel a little differently. (Wrong. Look down two posts.) If it were me, I'd keep a separate wheel for the 7° blades.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ladylake

On drag type sharpeners the gullet will get deeper when switching from 10° to 7 or 4°, more vertical movement.   I had to shim my up-down rod to keep the gullet the same as a 10° blade when I switched to 4°. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Brucer

Well, I made my comment above with exactly zero sharpening experience, so at least I have an excuse for being wrong :D.

However, I was just about finished rebuilding an LTAGA grinder. So now that I've finished sharpening my first blade ;D I can offer an informed explanation.

• Tilting the motor changes the tooth angle. Straightforward, but a tad annoying to do accurately (unless you add a jack screw to the vertical pivot plate ;D).
  • The indexing arm is used to adjust the amount of face grind. Same for any blade angle.
  • The gullet/back grind adjustment below the cam is used to set the depth of the gullet. You'd set it deeper to get a deeper gullet.
  • The grinding wheel profile sets the height of the tooth, because ... the cam lifts it well above the top of the tooth. So for a 7° degree blade you would remove more material from the right side of the wheel. It will then rise further before it meets the face of the next tooth. As it turns out, you will need to remove material from this side of the wheel anyway to match the back angle of a 7° blade

At least I was right in suggesting a second grinding wheel if you're going to do both tooth angles :).

For the record, a 10° blade (used once, never sharpened) has a gullet depth of 0.250 inches. A 7° blade (also used once and never sharpened) has a gullet depth of 0.280 inches, so it's about 1/32 of an inch deeper. And my just-sharpened 10° blade now has a gullet depth of 0.235 inches so I'm going to have dress that wheel even more :(.  What a pain.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

1234wood

Old style drag  sharpener  up grading motor spindel any model numbers of motors 1/3 hp bolt on swicthing to cbn as well any help would be great  I seen one on canidian woodworker site but guy dosnt want to share info bahumba yes I read and understand

pineywoods

Quote from: 1234wood on March 15, 2017, 11:27:14 AM
Old style drag  sharpener  up grading motor spindel any model numbers of motors 1/3 hp bolt on swicthing to cbn as well any help would be great  I seen one on canidian woodworker site but guy dosnt want to share info bahumba yes I read and understand

I converted mine to cbn, pics in my gallery and posts in the sawmill section. Can't help with part numbers, everything is either junk box or home-made. Works good, not nearly as picky to set up as the old drag model..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!