iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

036 vs 266

Started by TessiersFarm, February 11, 2013, 05:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TessiersFarm

I had a Stihl 036 and a 361 for years (and actually still have them but my brothers have them more than me)  I have changed over to Husqvarna for dealer reasons.  I have half a dozen saws both bigger and smaller but the ones I liked the best are the 036.  I have the chance to get a Husky 266 real reasonable and I am wondering if it will fill the gap between my 026 Stihl and Husky 372.  I do not cut proffesionally but I an a farmer and at certain times of the year I put my time in.  We cut 30 or so cords of firewood per year and a few thousand feet of saw logs per year, no pulp or anything like that.  If not the 266 what Husky saw will preform like the 036, light weight and decent power.  I dbout I will buy a new saw with 6 already in the barn but you never know.  I will probably get the 266 anyway but I was wondering what you all think. 
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

celliott

Probably husky's direct competitor with the O36 would be the 357XP, and now the new 562XP. I have an older 357XP and it's a great saw. Fairly light with good power. Can run a 20" bar but is happier with an 18" or 16". I also have a Jonsered 670 super 2, which is close to a 266 husky I believe, and you can tell the weight difference, but the jonny has a bit more power too.
One thing to look for if you do get a 357XP, is the intake boot clamp. Later models had a steel clamp, and a zama carb. Earlier models had some trouble with the walbro carb, but more importantly, they had a plastic intake boot clamp that could deform and eventually leak, and score the intake side of the piston. I replaced mine with the steel clamp, I don't believe the parts cost me more than $10.
357XP\Jonsered 2156 gets my vote.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

lumberjack48

I owned many 266's, logged many yrs carrying one, good saw. If everything is set right on it, it'll cut with the 036 or out cut it.

The thing to watch is the muffler bolts, they like to work loose.

Thats a 266 in the picture.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

TessiersFarm

I got the 266 this week.  I was selling a piece of equipment and the guy gave me my lowball price plus the saw in trade so I feel like I got it for nothing.  Runs well, sounds a little on the rich side to me.  I bucked a few logs, seams like just what I was looking for.  Nice balance and almost 2 lbs lighter than my 372 on a cert. scale, although it does have a 4" shorter bar.  I think its gonna be nice little saw in the woods, although it isn't gonna replace the 372 cutting firewood from the pile.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

Al_Smith

I have no experiance with the Husky model. Coincidently though as I type sitting on my bench is a brand new junk pile find 034 super which essentually is an 036.

That praticular model and the 036 respond very well to modifications and can be made into a little dynamite of a light weight cutter .

lumberjack48

Of all the saws i have logged with, the 034 Super is by far my favorite saw. The 034 Super, 038 Magnum, 044 Magnum are the most trouble free saws i ever owned. I'm talking working them everyday with two skidders. I ran Stihl 8 yrs after i quit using Huskys, no scored pistons, no rewind springs broke, mufflers didn't fall off, choke lever didn't fall off, switch didn't quit working. I was a Husky, and Johny man about 15 years, once i got the taste of Stihl, i never looked back.

The 266 if adjusted right should be a hair faster then the 036. Again if its set right with a 16 inch bar it will cut with the 372.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!