iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Construction Lumber Bench

Started by Tree Feller, February 11, 2013, 04:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I have a friend who was given some left-over 2 x 12's from a construction site. He had expressed a desire for some benches to place around his fire pit and I suggested he use the salvaged lumber. He's no woodworker so I took enough of it home to build a prototype and the following pic is what I came up with. I used 1" black pipe for the bench-to-back connection and I used PT 2 x 12's for the legs. It's 44" long. The seat and back rest are both 17" wide (1.5 x width of a 2 x 12) Finish is the usual Epifanes Gloss Marine Varnish that I use on exterior furniture. The seat is secured to the legs with glue, gussets and 3 x 3" screws on each leg through the top. The screw holes are plugged with Walnut plugs.

It's pretty simple and rough but I think it will work great for his purpose. I texted him a pic and he's very happy with how it turned out.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Weekend_Sawyer

Simple is good!
Very nice work.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hey Cody...is that gas pipe?

Your bench is way to cool. A piece of art made out of stuff contractors burn to keep warm in the mornings.  :D

Very NICE.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on February 11, 2013, 04:26:20 PM

Simple is good!
Very nice work.

Jon

Thanks, Jon.
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 11, 2013, 04:45:10 PM
Hey Cody...is that gas pipe?

Your bench is way to cool. A piece of art made out of stuff contractors burn to keep warm in the mornings.  :D

Very NICE.  smiley_thumbsup

It's black, steel pipe from Home Depot. I was gonna use steel conduit but decided it wasn't strong enough since it's thin wall.

Thanks for the kind comments.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Mooseherder

Holmes

Very nicely done.  8)  Here is an idea for you, a small set of bleachers... When we had our camp and fire pit the most popular place to sit was on the 4' wide stairway I built near the pit.  The riser was only 6.5" but the treads were 15" wide and it seemed to draw everyone .  Those 10 steps always had people sitting on them
Think like a farmer.

JohnM

That's pretty neat, TF.  How are the pipes attached?  Epoxy?

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Tree Feller

Quote from: Mooseherder on February 11, 2013, 06:46:29 PM
Great idea and creation! :)

Thanks, Mooseherder.
Quote from: Holmes on February 11, 2013, 07:38:02 PM
Very nicely done.  8)  Here is an idea for you, a small set of bleachers... When we had our camp and fire pit the most popular place to sit was on the 4' wide stairway I built near the pit.  The riser was only 6.5" but the treads were 15" wide and it seemed to draw everyone .  Those 10 steps always had people sitting on them

I'll pass the idea on to my friend. He ma have to scrounge some more construction lumber, though.   ;D Thanks for the comments.
Quote from: JohnM on February 11, 2013, 11:18:26 PM
That's pretty neat, TF.  How are the pipes attached?  Epoxy?

JM

Yep. West System 30 minute epoxy. Thanks for commenting.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

justallan1

Very nice. I need to make one for the mud room.
Allan

Lud

The last pic seems to show the seats carved in but the others look  flat.  Just sayin',  that twenty minutes with the grinders and sanding discs could make that bench real comfy if you know what I mean! ;) ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Tree Feller

I thought about sculpting butt buckets into the bench but decided against it. The benches are more versatile with flat seats.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hurts my back when I try to lay on butt buckets.   ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Magicman

I like. Thanks for the idea.   smiley_idea    smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!