iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forget the girl

Started by Den Socling, February 11, 2013, 01:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

Flatwood Lake, Montana. I was looking at some nice pictures. I believe they said the average depth is around 165'. Max is around 370'. It's so clear that it looks like just a few feet. Look at those beautiful logs down there.

ADKsawyer

Ummmmmm.... Logs yeah that's what I was looking at  ;D

forest.c

nice legs I mean logs ;D ;D
forest.c

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep, completely forgot the girl  ::)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

If you do the geometry based on camera angle and the air mattress shadow, she is in less than ten feet of water right there. That makes those logs about average.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Den Socling

Yeah the shadow is a give away. I wonder, though, why are they so straight, no limbs and look so well preserved. Makes you wonder what is in the deep water.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ST Ranch

Den - Just wonderiing - I think the name of the lake is Flathead Lake, near Kalispell MT. Logs are straigth cuz most likely softwood conifers of western larch, douglas fir and ponderosa pine.
Lake was the sorting and storage for old turn of centry logging on adjacent rivers. Logs are now being salvaged and are condsidered to be 250 + yrs old

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrGHNpWnDKc

also  http://www.flatheadlaketimber.com/a-colorful-istory/

Lake is about 3 hrs drive south of me on west side of the Rocky mtns  Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Den Socling

Good to see them salvaged. It looks a lot easier than fighting crocs for sinker Cypress.  :)

Raider Bill

Thanks! I really enjoyed watching that clip. ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteIt looks a lot easier than fight crocs for sinker Cypress.  :)

Them keeps ya from getting bored with that logging stuff.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

chet

Try as I might I can't see nuttin' but what I was told not ta see. smiley_smug01
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

okmulch

What logs? I don't see any stinkin logs! ;D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Left Coast Chris

Since they are sawing them there must be a market for the wood.  Around here you can't give away blue pine since there have been so many fires and lots of damaged trees.   The Doug Fir has been used in floors so has some more value.  Hope they are able to make their operation a go.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Den Socling

It may be just blue pine but I've dried salvaged hardwoods. The colors are incredible. Furniture makers keep the slabs separated by log to make the colors match.

ST Ranch

Den - sorry if I appear to be hi-jacking your story

Here some more pics on following link show more vids and old time logging.  Tom

http://www.flatheadlaketimber.com/
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Den Socling

ST R There is no such thing as a hijack at the Forestry Forum. We just ramble a bit.  ;D

Ed_K

Insert food  :D ;D 8) 8) 8) no hijack.
Ed K

Norm

This is one of those times I think we need a bigger picture size allowance for the FF.  ;D

coxy

that wood is awsome should be some big bucks there 8)

customsawyer

I need a paper towel from drooling. Wow
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

lumberjack48

I lived a little ways out of Bigfork, MT. by Flathead Lake, that is beautiful country. I was falling timber by Hilltop on hwy 2 out of Kalispell.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SPIKER

See I was thinking I bet there are some NICE Small Mouth Bass hiding along the rocks & logs...   oh and YA the boat would be right next to the eye candy!   8) :D

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Norm

I can just see Patti peeking in and asking Den what he's up to on the computer...oh nothing honey just looking at some underwater logs.  :D

Tree Feller

I like looking at long legs, er logs.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!