iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickie Quiz Jackpot Lucky 7

Started by mesquite buckeye, February 10, 2013, 08:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

What tree am I??? ;D ;D ;D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce

popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley

dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie!          spam_ logrite_cool smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_old_guy teeter_totter whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley smiley_biggrin01
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Whatever it is, it wants to crack and split bad  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi MB,

Well, can we assume it is an Arizona native?

At first glance, Quercus sp. of some type?

Can you take a better picture and tell me how big it is, the piece of wood that is?

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on February 10, 2013, 08:42:49 PM
Whatever it is, it wants to crack and split bad  :).

Sorry, it was a dried out log. :( :( :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 10, 2013, 09:45:53 PM
Hi MB,

Can you take a better picture and tell me how big it is, the piece of wood that is?

jay

Native to Arizona, not an oak.

Those boards are about 5-6" wide.

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on February 10, 2013, 10:35:32 PM
Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 10, 2013, 09:45:53 PM
Hi MB,

jay

Native to Arizona, not an oak.

Those boards are about 5-6" wide.

I'll plane up a piece tomorrow and put it in as clues if nobody gets it by then.... :snowfight1:

giant splinter

roll with it

tyb525

Slab Slicer

Peltogyne spp  AKA Purpleheart, Amaranth
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: giant splinter on February 10, 2013, 11:06:12 PM
Ironwood

You're just putting that in there every time until I do an ironwood, aren't you? dadgum you, Charlie!

;D ;D ;D

Not an ironwood.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: tyb525 on February 10, 2013, 11:07:34 PM
Locust of some kind

Not a locust of any kind. ;D ;D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Jay C. White Cloud

Vauquelinia californica-Arizona Rosewood, Desert Rose   
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Slab Slicer on February 10, 2013, 11:12:14 PM

Not native to AZ, so not that one.

Thought I'd have to look it up :P

smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip whiteflag_smiley boxingsmiley

mesquite buckeye

Slab Slicer

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on February 10, 2013, 11:18:42 PM
Quote from: Slab Slicer on February 10, 2013, 11:12:14 PM

Not native to AZ, so not that one.

Thought I'd have to look it up :P

smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip whiteflag_smiley boxingsmiley

Native as far north a Mexico. It could have crossed the border  :D
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Jay C. White Cloud

Laurus sp. Laurel of some fashion?

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 10, 2013, 11:21:35 PM
Laurus sp. Laurel of some fashion?

Laurus is not currently in fashion. ;D ;D ;D

That family is not native here. popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley

steve_smiley dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie!

Jay C. White Cloud

Palo verde -ercidium I'm not sure of the Latin name, may have change?  Don't remember Palo verde being pink-red in color? 

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 10, 2013, 11:30:47 PM
Palo verde -ercidium I'm not sure of the Latin name, may have change?  Don't remember Palo verde being pink-red in color?

Cercidium  Some jerk moved all of them into Parkinsonia. Whatever it takes to get tenure, I guess, even if it adds nothing to human knowledge.

The palo verdes are different depending upon the species. Mexican palo verde is bright yellow throughout, fading out to a tanish yellow over a period of years. The other two species we have are blue paloverde and foothill, or yellow paloverde. Foothill paloverde has sapwood like Mexican, but heartwood that is sort of streaky chocolate like some ebonies. Blue palo verde is the biggest of the three, also with relatively yellow sapwood and tanish heartwood.

And it isn't any of those. ;D ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!