iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how to cut burl? flat sawn or cookie cut?

Started by drobertson, February 10, 2013, 03:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Just wondering how to cut burl, have a few sizable ones, been looking at them awhile, (years) oak and cherry, with all the talk of late, I just got to thinking about it, what is the best way to cut it,  thanks, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi David,

It really depends on the finish product, in many cases you don't cut them at all.  You just turn or shape them by hand.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

drobertson

Howdy Jay, thanks, I searched google for images and that is some of what I noticed.  The only thing is I have a saw, and kinda want to cut into them,  they are still standing, but real close, easy to get.  Kinda got me chomping a bit, if you know what I mean,  I do have a wood turner custormer, I guess I could ask him what he might like to see,   thanks again,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi David,

If you have a project in mind, go for it after you have a plan thought through.  If you have access to a few nice burels and what to sell them, it is best to leave them in the tree as long as you can.  If you can't...

Cut and store them in a pond or river where you know you can get them.

Mill them into nice 5/4 or 8/4 fletch for traditional veneer or cabinet work.

"Block them out for turning or hand shaping into containers.

You could talk one of them and work it with adz and gouge for a nice free hand bowl.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

drobertson

this is the white oak, could not get to the cherry yet, will soon,

Peter Drouin

ya drobertson I have been thinking about this one, how to cut it but Ill wait for some one to buy it first, then cut it the way they want it cut :D

I'ts a cherry
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Sawdust Lover

Quote from: drobertson on February 10, 2013, 03:53:35 PM
Howdy Jay, thanks, I searched google for images and that is some of what I noticed.  The only thing is I have a saw, and kinda want to cut into them,  they are still standing, but real close, easy to get.  Kinda got me chomping a bit, if you know what I mean,  I do have a wood turner custormer, I guess I could ask him what he might like to see,   thanks again,  david
It's kinda like having a scratch ticket and given it away without scratching it. ???

francismilker

I noticed you referring to that tree as a white oak.  From what I can see from looking at the bark, in my neck of the woods that's called a post oak.  I'm interested in this topic because I have loads of post oaks with burls.  What's the market for them?  Do you try to find a crafter?
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

drobertson

yea they are post oak in this neck to, still a white oak, never have understood why post oak seems to be the outcast of the species, in any case they are but still pretty wood, 

drobertson

OK Peter D, I got them in the wagon,  now what?

I may have a buyer, pretty sure, this dude is a bit heavy!

Peter Drouin

Nice ones, I would first  wax the ends, that will make it last till you get a buyer

I use this to warm the wood[In the winter] then hold it on the wax over the wood and seal it, and places where the bark is off it

this wax works too, I got the wax from the dump :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Thanks Peter, I delievered the smaller one today, the big one needs some trimming,  Tom like them, looks like the burl has a future,  have a good night,  david

Thank You Sponsors!