iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wmz claw turner

Started by drobertson, February 10, 2013, 10:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I thought about posting this some time ago, and just figured it really did'nt matter that much, but while at the mill yesterday doing a lil maintenance, I thought I might as well ask you folks that have the claw turners.  Does anyone have theirs(claw) pull up or (in) overnight, and the back stops drift down just a bit as well. As I said not a big deal, just wondering,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Never such a thing.  Instead they seem to drift up a bit in line with the blade must happen while I'm making the cut.  :) :) :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bandmill Bandit

A) you have a leaking ram rod seal inside the cylinder OR the bolt that holds the plunger to the end of the ram is loose. 

OR

B) Leaking seals in that valve. IF it was the valve it would likely be more noticeable while you are operating the mill.

Based on the way that system is plumbed and set up I would say your side support ram is the first place to look.

They are not difficult to repair but can be a PIA to get open. Be careful not to squeeze the cylinder in the vise and get it out of round.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

drobertson

I will give it a closer look, not loosing fluid, and no signs of it around anything,  everything is holding good while running, its just when I shut down after a lil while it starts to ride up, thanks for the input, I will give it another go over,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

David, when the claw drops down, do you have a log resting against it?

If so, perhaps that added pressure against the hydraulic system is to much for the system to hold over and extended period of time.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

I will get a pic of the position of the claw in just a few min.  Heading to the mill to get that pic,  and no, it is an empty bed, no pressure should be in the system, I think,

drobertson

Here is the position of the back stops and claw after resting over night,

WH_Conley

I have had the claw come up like that over night, never had the backstops move. Happens mostly in the summer time. I just figured it was to the fluid changing temperature. Never really gave it any thought.
Bill

Magicman

Yes, mine does drift up overnight, but not a significant amount to cause a problem while sawing. 

The up/down cylinder on my two plane clamp started drifting up while I was sawing which did cause a problem.  The rebuild kit from WM was about $20 and the instructions were detailed.  It only took an hour or so and I was back into business.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Well howdy Lynn,  I was kinda waiting on your post,  this has not been an issue at all, just one that has been on going for awhile,  I got board, and thought I would ask,  thanks,   david

Bandmill Bandit

I would say internal plunger seal on the side support ram. You won't see any external leakage at all.

At least that is where I would be looking first then the claw ram.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Brucer

Hydraulic fluid contracts as it gets cooler and expands as it gets warmer. Since the rod end of a cylinder has less surface area than the other end, the cylinder will move to equalize the pressure. It's not uncommon to see a small amount of movement if there's a large temperature change between shutting down the mill and getting ready to fire it up again.

On the other hand, if there is any internal leakage the expanding (or contracting) fluid will move to the other side of the piston to reflect the change in fluid volume. A fully retracted cylinder holds less total fluid than a fully extended cylinder. This can give you a large amount of movement if there's a big temperature change.

I'd say from the pictures that you've got some internal leakage.

Also remember that the turner and side stops are connected sequencer valves to there may be some interaction between the two systems.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

drobertson

wow, I knew it had some things going on internally, but never had issues with it while running, I reckon this spring when it warms up I might get industrius enough to look into it,  thanks guys for the input,  ;D

Bandmill Bandit

Very good description Brucer. I didn't have time for to include the detail you put into it.

Thank You Sponsors!