iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

traditionl Swedish woodworking video

Started by Bibbyman, February 10, 2013, 08:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

What can you do with an hatchet and basis hand tools?

I found this video of old time Swedish craftsmen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGDkliy1DEU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I watched it all and broke a sweat. Loved to watch them make those chairs.  :)

Good find Bib.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

wdncno

wow! can those guys move. Great hand eye co-ordination. thanks

Phorester

The accuracy of those guys swinging those hatchets and gouges was amazing.  Liked the two-man plane.  Gonna have to make me a workbench like the one used by the fellow making the shoes........

jueston

Quote from: Phorester on February 10, 2013, 10:47:46 AM

The accuracy of those guys swinging those hatchets and gouges was amazing.  Liked the two-man plane.  Gonna have to make me a workbench like the one used by the fellow making the shoes........

accuracy is right, that guy was swinging away just a few inches from his hands.... i wouldn't have any fingers left if i tried to imitate that video....  :)

Jay C. White Cloud

Thanks Bibbyman, that was a nice lunch break...great video, you can learn much from just watching a short film like that.  Brings back many memories.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

T Welsh

I got hooked watching Roy Underhill on a PBS channel that was called The Woodwrights Shop. He used all traditional hand tools. It taught me to keep all cutting tools as sharp as I could get them,when tools get dull you tend to push and that's when they bite you!!! Great video,I love using all the new tools,but I always go back to traditional hand tools to keep me grounded. Tim

Bibbyman

Years ago I read a book written by a guy that went out to find someone who could make a Kentucky rifle from scratch. At that time it was a dead art.  He finally tracked down an old guy way back in the mountains that could still make them.  He was aghast when the old guy pulled out a curly maple plank and started whacking away with a hatchet.  Said he hack it to near finish with it and all by eye.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

hackberry jake

Whats the tool he used after the drill when he was making the shoes? Sure looked sharp to be hogging out wood like that! I'll venture to bet that it was a pretty soft wood.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Jake,

That is a "spoon dirll," and they are a dream to use.  Many different cultures have them, (as many have wooden shoes as well, Japan, Spain, Africa, China...a lot of them.)  here is another video that everyone may like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt5BLJhiMO0
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Axe Handle Hound

Fascinating videos.  Does anyone know the name for the type of bench they're using?  It's a pretty simple design, but seems very effective at holding stock at a variety of angles/positions. 

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi AHH,

Many different names, depending on country of origin, and even different names within the regions of those countries.  What I can tell you are the similarities...the wedge.  The one in the video is a common version found in many places in Eastern Europe to Asia.  A section of log that has a section removed to accommodate the material to be worked held in place with a wedge.  Another you maybe familiar with is for doing glue ups of boards into a panel. A robust sticker is placed under the boards to be glued up.  They are place at the same intervals you normally would use "bar clamps."  Now a second set of stickers are placed over the first, with the ends bound tightly with rope.  Now wedges are driven in between the binding and the edge of the boards driving them together.  I still use this method myself.  It allows me to do many glue ups but with only a limited amount to bar clamps.  I use the clamps to arrange and tighten my glue ups then I use the traditional method to hold them in place till dry, there by freeing up my bar clamps to be used elsewhere. Just about every modern clamp can be replace with a traditional system that works as good and often better.

Regards,

jay

Delawhere Jack

Sven! I tuld you aye vanted extra zupport in dee arches!!   ;)

The people in Sweden are very friendly, but the waterfowl can be a bit testy. This mallard wanted me off his piece of turf in Djurgarden, Stockholm.

SwampDonkey

I used to make axe handles and paddles with nothing more than an axe. You'd be surprises what a sharp axe can do. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jueston

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on February 11, 2013, 04:41:36 PM
Sven! I tuld you aye vanted extra zupport in dee arches!!   ;)

The people in Sweden are very friendly, but the waterfowl can be a bit testy. This mallard wanted me off his piece of turf in Djurgarden, Stockholm.

i think i might have met that same mallard if he flew south a little. when i was in europe me and a friend were feeding a large and diverse group of birds and ducks that had congregated by lake in a park, we came prepared with a large supply of 3 or 4 day old bread we got almost free. after a few minutes of feeding the mallards figured out that instead of waiting for us to hand out small pieces of bread, they could simply attack our shins till we gave them the whole loaf. before we knew it we were surrounded and being attacked from all sides. i considered my options, i had a family and friends to return home too, so i threw the bread and made a break for it. my friend tried to stand her ground but didn't last much longer.

we survived with only bruised shins and bruised egos...  and then we nursed our wounds over some fine German beer....

Thank You Sponsors!