iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How high should a toe board raise the log?

Started by roghair, February 09, 2013, 06:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roghair

Hi Everyone, I want to make (manual) toe boards for my mill but don't know how high they should be in max 'up' position. Currently I have a drawing where it would raise the log 13 cm (about 5").
Would that be enough or is it too much? I think that means you can compensate for 10" taper, which seems a lot to me...
Thx for the advice!
built a sawmill

Chuck White

My mill has hydraulic toe boards and will raise the log 4-5 inches, so your idea should be good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

redbeard

Having a roller is really handy for moving cants back n forth. 5" is pleanty of height.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

roghair

OK, thanks guys. I will make something like this and show some pictures when finished.

built a sawmill

Cedarman

You might have a big knot on the bottom raising the other end a good bit.  Being able to raise 5" to level would be nice.  There is more than taper to worry about.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Solomon

Mine are hydro and raise up 6 in. I have never needed to raise them that high to level the center of the log.  But I might one day.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

francismilker

Quote from: roghair on February 09, 2013, 07:23:23 PM
OK, thanks guys. I will make something like this and show some pictures when finished.

Nice toeboard.  I'm toying with making one and like the design.  I'll give it a try.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Roghair,my advice will be a little different,manual toeboards are slow and rather awkward.A fellas time and money would be better spent building ether a pineywoods or two plain clamp/turner.With the hydraulic turners you can lift the log and simply put a piece of wood under the small end to level it.I keep short pieces of 1" and 2" stock to put under the log to level it after it is lifted with the turner or peavy.Many boards and timbers have been wasted because a toeboard has been left up.Good logs 8'and under little is gained by using toeboards "you rob peter to pay paul"longer logs and poorer logs they can help.This is my opinion outher folks experiances my be at odds. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Frank has a good point on this one, but in either case, whatever is holding the log up, has to be removed or lowered.  I have forgot a few times, kinda frustrating,  :-[
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

roghair

Good link york, I want to make something similar and use old pallet rolls I have (4 on one axle).
Frank C. maybe you are right, but I have no hydraulic turners and work alone most of the time. I think I would have a hard time raising the log and putting the stock under the log to level it. The logs are 12' so the rolls may be handy as well indeed to move the cant or log on the bed.
Also with hydraulic toe boards one should remember to put them back I assume, or is there a trick or signal to remember?
built a sawmill

terrifictimbersllc

I'm thinking to put a flashing light on my dashboard which is on whenever the rear toe board is up.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

The signal is when the boards come out looking like a loooooong wedge.  :D
Almost like running into a log stop. It's burned in your head not to do that again. Until it happens again.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

....or pay the customer for the lost board whenever I do it.  :o :o :o :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

roghair

built a sawmill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 10, 2013, 01:17:37 PM
I'm thinking to put a flashing light on my dashboard which is on whenever the rear toe board is up.

Seriously.....I turn my cap side ways when I raise a toe board. Helps me remember.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brucer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 10, 2013, 02:02:25 PM
...I turn my cap side ways when I raise a toe board. ...

It's called mistake-proofing. Something that will remind you that you have to do something real soon, but not quite yet. If a customer comes by when I've got one of the toeboards up, I always finish the cut and lower the toeboard before I stop the mill to talk. Learned that the hard way.

In answer to the question, the toeboards on my Wood-Mizer rise just under 4" above the bed. They are mounted 96" from the farthest fixed bed rail, which is another factor to consider. Four inches in 8' is equivalent to 10" in 20'.

There's the odd time when I want to raise a tapered log so the top is parallel to the bed. That's something else to consider when figuring how much you want to lift one end of the log. You'll want to consider the taper in whatever species you are sawing.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

dboyt

If I were going to copy something to modify a mill, I agree that Norwood is a good source for a number of ideas, but I found it more practical to just get the whole mill.  Everything is as well designed as the toe rollers.  I take it you planning to put one on each end?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

roghair

Brucer, good point I see what you mean: The more you place the toe board towards the middle of the log, the less high you have to push the toe board to raise the end of the log.
built a sawmill

roghair

Quote from: dboyt on February 11, 2013, 08:12:31 AM
If I were going to copy something to modify a mill, I agree that Norwood is a good source for a number of ideas, but I found it more practical to just get the whole mill.  Everything is as well designed as the toe rollers.  I take it you planning to put one on each end?
I have a homemade mill and used Norwood just as an example (although their mills look great of course)
I will put a toe board on each end indeed, but on which end the thick end is placed usually (and why), on the sawhead side?
built a sawmill

dboyt

Two reasons for using two toe boards.  First, you can raise both rollers to move the log on the track.  You will need to do this occasionally.  Second, you won't always have the luxury of having the butt end oriented for the entry of the cut.  It helps to be able to cut with either orientation.  With me, it's about 50-50 how the log is oriented, unless it is just on the edge of being too big.  I suppose the second toe board could also serve as a spare, if you need it.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

terrifictimbersllc

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: roghair on February 10, 2013, 01:12:07 PM
Also with hydraulic toe boards one should remember to put them back I assume, or is there a trick or signal to remember?

I always lower the toe board roller on my mill, BEFORE I roll the log.

If you see it up, then lower it before you roll it.

Keep your eyes open and if distracted by someone/something else get your head back into sawing before you put the blade back into the log. You can always say to yourself, Ok where did I leave off?.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

roghair

This is what I made x2 (don't mention my welding skills  :( )

10 Euro jack

4 old pallet rols (wheels) on a 20 mm shaft

Spring is coming, this is the area I cleared yesterday to place the sawmill and get it out of the garage.
built a sawmill

beenthere

roghair
Will you be spreading some gravel over the new dirt mill pad?

Your welding skills look pretty darn good on the toe board.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

francismilker

Quote from: roghair on March 21, 2013, 04:03:41 PM
This is what I made x2 (don't mention my welding skills  :( )

10 Euro jack

4 old pallet rols (wheels) on a 20 mm shaft

Spring is coming, this is the area I cleared yesterday to place the sawmill and get it out of the garage.

Looks like some pretty fancy handywork to me.  Like the rollers.  I put some toeboards made out of scissor jacks on mine but didn't do any rollers.  Maybe I'll add them.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Thank You Sponsors!