iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbing in the snow... Elm??

Started by JSwigga, February 09, 2013, 05:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSwigga

I put this log in the mill the other day, and I knew it was supposed to snow like crazy last night.  Luckly we only got about an inch.  So I took a couple slabs off the top to see what she looks like.  This is Elm right?  I'm a little confused about the different types of elm.  Any info on elm would be nice.  Hope everyone caught in the snow storm is safe!

60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

terrifictimbersllc

Careful if you climb :) on that log it might be slippery elm!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rooster 58

:o :o :o Yep, a nice slab of elm! What a table that would make ;)

fishpharmer

Beautiful!

Kinda looks like some Chinese Elm that pigman showed me.  Haven't milled elm (yet).
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

JSwigga

Yea I hear about slippery, english, american , chinese.  Not sure how to tell them apart.  :'(
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

mesquite buckeye

Looks a bit red for american elm, although the log looks pretty typical for shape and size.....
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Tree Feller

I'd call that Beautiful Elm. Nice wood.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

mikeb1079

i've only sawn two elm species but that does look like american elm to me.  the other i've sawn was red elm and it was definitely more red than that.  also i'm not sure if red elm gets that large?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

Yes it does.  It gets really big, especially in the bottomland.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I have sawed a few elm logs and all where a pain to dry flat and straight. It really needs to dry slowllllllllllly. I have some airplane ready propellers here from one log that looked quite nice before being sawed up and stickered to dry.....  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Montana Sawyer

Having sawn my fair share of elm, I would venture a guess, that it is Siberian Elm. Chinese Elm is not as common and widespread as many believe.
An odor when you cut it is indicitive of a fungal infection, that many Elms get.
There are basically three types of people......
Those that make things happen
Those that watch things happen
Those that wonder what just happened.

Make things happen...

Magicman

I sawed a couple of Cedar Elm logs last week.  The lumber was really red so I guess that is where the name came from??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sigidi

For down here it doesnt look like chinese elm - our chinese elm is almost pure white - as for anythign else on elms I can't comment only sliced up chinese down here.
it sure is purdy tho ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: sigidi on February 10, 2013, 02:48:37 PM
For down here it doesnt look like chinese elm - our chinese elm is almost pure white - as for anythign else on elms I can't comment only sliced up chinese down here.
it sure is purdy tho ;)

Throughout much of the US Siberian elm is commonly misidentified as Chinese elm, which is a very different species. The only place I've seen real Chinese elms growing is as ornamentals in the SW US. The bark is almost like sycamore......
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

millwright

I've sawn some American elm, and it didn't look quite as red as what you have there.

5quarter

That is definitely siberian elm...Makes great lumber if you can find straight logs. The bark is right, but the real tell is the alternating bands of color in the heartwood. Red elm has much more sapwood with the heart being a little pinkish. Ditto what others have said about chinese elm...its an ornamental that doesn't bear much resemblance to other Elms. I'll be real interested in how those slabs dry. Make sure you cut thick enough to resaw once they are dried. nice job.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

two-legged-sawmill

Looks like American Elm to me. Have sawed considerable amount of it, for lumber and firewood. The Dutch Elm Disease got most of them beautifull trees! The ones growing today don't seem to be able to reach their stately size!  When I was a Kid we used elm in the Horse Barn floor and my Dad said that It always smell like horse urine when first sawed??
     I have a nice Elm in my yard, The leaves look like the American Elm, but two tree experts can't agree on the label. One says Slippery Elm the other says Rock Elm! When I can figure how I will post a picture, not a record tree yet but it is still growing.
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

JSwigga

Here's a better picture of one of the slabs maybe that will help.

5quarter

two-legged-sawmill...American elm has a very distinctive silouette. long, upturned branches, a full, well balanced crown and tends to self prune nicely. American elm doesn't have color bands in the heartwood that I can tell. also, the crotch profiles on American elm tend to be U shaped, whereas in siberian elm they tend to be more V shaped and have included bark like in the pic. But who knows? The real tell would be the leaves and fruit. Siberian elm has very tiny leaves (<1") and purple berries in the fall.
Wow...just saw the new pic! very nice slab. definitely SE.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SwampDonkey

Don't mind me if I let you take all the elm you want.  About the only elm that behaved itself as far as I can tell is paneling. Boards, well....   ::)

;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!