iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad influence

Started by hackberry jake, February 08, 2013, 09:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

A retired co-worker came out to see my mill a few months ago. Well, he brought his home day before yesterday and I have been giving him all the pointers I can think of. Now I have spread the addiction to someone else. Now if only I could get him talked into buying a setter...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

Must have made an influence on your co-worker Jake!

Maybe see if you can get him to join the Forum.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ND rancher

Hey Jake, Cook's has the cat's paw single tooth setter on sale. I just ordered one this week.  Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

hackberry jake

He said he creeps around here, maybe he'll join when he sees that we are talking about him  ;D

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bibbyman

Years ago a neighbor brought over some logs to saw. We were sawing when he came in and stood and watched us for a while with a big grin on his face.  When we stopped he asked a lot of questions.  I didn't think any too much about it. When he came back he again asked us to keep sawing as he wanted to watch.

A few weeks later I heard through a rumor that he had ordered a new mill. I could tell he was fascinated in the mill but said not a word about getting one. I drove over and visited him and got around to asking him and he fessed up.  I told him if he'd let me know he was shopping for a mill that I knew a guy that had one for sale.  Long story short, he ended up buying the used mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

francismilker

That has happened to me twice in my very short time as a mill owner.  Someone watches for just long enough to get the bug and then they're a proud mill owner. 
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

bandmiller2

Some folks are easily led astray. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Nomad

A guy called me and asked about milling.  I suggested he stop by where I'm working and we'd talk a bit.  He did, and liked what he saw.  Said he might be interested in getting one.  I mentioned I had a manual mill I don't use anymore.  A couple of days later he came by my place, tried it, liked it, bought it, and drove away with it.  So I guess that makes me a bad influence too! ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Bibbyman

Most get over the bug.   The guy in my story thought he was going to get into mobile sawing and his son would help.  He got a couple of jobs.   Then the next year he was just sawing for himself by himself as the son soon got over the infection.   The  third year horse weeds were growing up through the mill 8' tall.  Then he sold the mill. He'd recovered too.

I got his couple of customers.  They said his pile of beer cans grew faster than his pile of sawdust.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Slab Slicer

Probably better off that he did get over the bug. Sharp band blades, and beer don't mix well. :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

justallan1

I have three neighbors that live up the road from me a few miles and we all know by each other by sight and wave. Since I parked the saw trailer in the yard two of the neighbors have stopped in, one of them twice. It's just a matter of time.

bandmiller2

Like heating your home with wood many get into it then realize the work involved, and kick up the thermostat. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

hackberry jake,what kind of saw did he buy?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I often have customers that indicate that they would like to have a sawmill or have "always wanted one".   I will go back and saw for them the next year, and they say the same thing.  I will offer to sell them mine, but they always have an excuse.    ;D

There is nothing wrong with dreaming, and there is more to sawing than putting a blade into a log.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

That "influence" is what got me into sawmilling!

Back in 2005, I started helping my FIL on his manual LT40G18, and I was paying attention to everything that he did and eventually, he turned the controls over to me and said try it.

So, that's prettymuch all it took.

I ran his mill for 2½ years, then went out and bought my own mill. 

I just had to have one. ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

schakey

My good friend and neighbor in Wv got me bitten a few years ago.
Haven't got one yet but the time will come!
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Tronvik

It only took one conversation and a invite to brevard nc. It was snowing and I only ran the mill for an hour,but he showed my how to set and align his 84 lt30. After my first manual mill I bought a 84 lt30 6 months newer than his. Only regret, wished I had bought a woodmizer first. :)
1984 lt30, john deere 750

downsouth

I got the bug from u tube. Watching people saw. Then I started cutting on my Toledo meat saw , it was a pretty big band saw, just did not have the rpms . Talk about a pain in the butt! My dad and wife thought I was nuts. Then found a used Lt15. And loving it!

Solomon

I was bitten by the bug sevearly.
I had a large Eastern Red Ceder log laying in my yard. It was 34 inches dia x 14 ft long. I had cut it down in my back yard. I was just starting my chain saw when my cousin,(an old retired Senior Master Chief) says
"what the f#%& are you doing?!!!"   I said,  " I'm gonna cut this log up and burn it , I want it gone".   He said "If you touch that log with a saw , I'm gonna kick your A#! into the middle of next week, Leave it alone".   So , he is many years my senior , family, and a man I have learned not to question. I just did as I was told.  Three days later , here he comes with some guy following him down my long drivway pulling an LT-40.  (I had no clue what it was at that time).  He set it up and sawed that beutiful log into 5/4 board.   That was all she wrote.
I said it out loud,  (I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE!!!)   A couple of years later, I bought My LM-4 Brand Spanking New.  Never looked back , have no regrets and I will likely buy an LM-6 a few years from now.   Best money I ever spent.
Its paid for it self a couple of times  and given me more nice lumber than I can use up.  I now have a beutiful home because of that mill.  (and my shop).   I have also traded a lot of lumber for a lot of skilled labor and met a lot of really awsome people along the way.  I would not change it for the world. It is my world.

Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

hackberry jake

He got a ez boardwalk jr. With a 10' extension. He got basically the same mill that I got a little over 2 years ago. Now mine looks like a Frankenstein mill... Bwa ha ha ha ha!

WDH

You are such a bad influence.  The next thing you know, you will be cutting the  smiley_devil and lead even more astray :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dboyt

Bad influence?  At least he won't have time or money for any other vices.  Plenty of timber to go 'round.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!