iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thieves again...Does it never end?? AGAIN !!!

Started by Magicman, February 08, 2013, 09:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I go to the Cabin Thursday and noticed a piece of garden hose lying beside the storage building door.

Now I am wondering what that is all about when I realize that is the end of my garden hose.  So I walk to the edge of the building for a look.

Yup, there is my hose that has been cut with bolt cutters, and my nozzle lying there.  Now what happened here?  OK, siphon hose.

When I checked Pat's Golf Car, I had my answer.  They stole Pat's gas, forgot their bolt cutters and did not even put the gas cap back on.  Just how ill mannered can you get??

And then I noticed that now I only had two empty 5 gallon hydraulic buckets.  I had three last week.  DanG, I had even provided them with a gas can.   :-\   So I put more gas in the tank.  I would hate for them to walk that ¼ mile and find the tank empty.

I also left the hose lying on the Golf Car seat so at least they will not have to cut my hose again.

I hate thieves.  When I drove through the Red Lick community Thursday morning, I saw at least a dozen 20-40 year old men sitting around the local "joint".  Not working and why should they?  They can steal what they want.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Sorry to hear that, Magicman. Stealing is one thing that I just can't handle.

WDH

You are going to have to put up a camera.  Hide it in bird house, maybe.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedar Savage

They's just trading you a pair of bolt cutters for 5 gallons of gas...
It does upset a guy off tho...
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 08, 2013, 09:27:49 PM
You are going to have to put up a camera.  Hide it in bird house, maybe.

Time to get Serious Lynn....and I mean it. If ya don't, it'll get worse.
I agree with Danny.....cameras.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Your only hope is that they grow up and move away or get incarcerated.  I bet that it is teenage boys.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Lynn, you are such a generous man, giving your stuff away like that.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

Yup, Pigman.  I would hate for them to leave empty handed.

By far, the largest employers in Jefferson Co, Ms. are the hospital and sheriff's dept.

After I finish the Addition, the golf car will go back into the storage building.  For now, it has to sleep outside under the porch.   I wish I had the $$$ for another cargo container.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

It's an awful thing, when you can't leave thing unlocked on your own property.

I agree Lynn, get a camera or 2 and catch them in the act.

Then, when you see the perpetrator in a crowd of "do-nothings", approach them with the law by your side and the picture in your hand.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

Sorry to hear of the ill manners!

Glad there was only hose damage.

doctorb

They are definitely young punks without a plan.  Who goes to steal gas without a siphon hose and a gas can?  Who cuts a hose with a bolt cutter???? Are they on ATV's?   I agree with the camera idea, but hide it well!   A siren alarm would send these adolescents running.  They're just being opportunistic because they know no one is home.  You might keep an eye out for that third can in town.  One of your thieves might have taken a liking to it and have it with him sometime. 

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Kansas

Worst part is, who did they steal the bolt cutter from? My guess is, you now have a stolen bolt cutter.

SPIKER

Quote from: Kansas on February 09, 2013, 12:39:46 AM
Worst part is, who did they steal the bolt cutter from? My guess is, you now have a stolen bolt cutter.

I was thinking the same thing, they stole that at lat place and brought them to YOUR place so they could cut LOCKS and get into the TOOL SHED or worse.   Might want to get the camera and alarm setup.   I have a kicked in door to fix at my place too split the door jam out...  :( :snowball: :rifle: smiley_furious3
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

stefan

Im sorry to. Its just saddening that there are so many individuals that cant respect other peoples property, and that it is so hard to stop them.

hackberry jake

The worst thing about thiefs isn't that now you are missing something. It's the fact that your personal space and privacy has been raped. I have been stole from on two different occasions. One time they got about $100 worth of goods and the other time about $800. The $100 occurrence made me madder than the $800 occurrence because they had to do more leg work to get to it or even know it was there. It had to be someone close to me that knew where I kept things. It feels like a moral slap in the face. The only thing I hate more than a thief is an arson. At least a thief got some use out of what they stole.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Slab Slicer

It probably won't stop here. They will keep coming back to see what else they can steal. Best to do something now. Word will get out around town that you have security measures in place, and the stealing should stop. A few gallons of gas, and a garden hose are just a start. If they think it's easy pickins, they'll be back.  >:(
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

wheelinguy

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, last year we came home after a snow storm to find that someone had been stuck in our driveway about half way up.  Its not the kind of road you dive up in the snow unless you have some intent of visiting or stealing.  Checked with all our friends it wasn't them, called the local wrecker service and they could only give a first name and the tow truck driver was gone so we couldn't get a vehicle description.  Nothing was taken but it gave us a very uneasy feeling for quite a while.  You should set up 2 cameras one being a fake dummy type that is not so well hidden to draw the thieves attention and the other more well hidden to get a good picture of them when they destroy the fake.  The worst part of it all is the fact that we are even having this conversation, can't tstand thieves!

Magicman

Notice in the last picture above that I have grade 70 chain securing the door.  It would take a torch or side grinder to open those doors.

The Cabin is a different situation.  They can open those doors quicker than I can with a key and never leave a mark.  I am better off leaving the door unlocked.   :-\

thecfarm

That was planed too. Not every one carries bolt cutters in thier back pocket.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

That sucks !!!!! Leave a doctored up can of gas  laying around that might fix them a bit !!!!!! plus a game camera !
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

I have something that would fix them, But I would be the one in jail when I got down with them. I have a very hard time with stealing. You need some help with life,come see me. Yes,you may have to work for it,but I will gladly help you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Pat mentioned leaving a doctored can of gas for them, but heck, have you priced gas cans lately.  Seriously, I am going to do just that.  I have an old Eagle gas can that is looking for a new home.

Now, what do I "doctor" it with? 

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

GRITS. It'll mess a carburetor up every time.  :D

doctorb

I would probably NOT leave the doctored gas can, although it certainly was an idea that crossed my mind.  Why?.....because the important thing is to catch and prosecute these guys, not mess up their ATV engines.  I worry that, somewhere along the line, some innocent person that had nothing to do with this theft would get tainted gas from that can, ruining their equipment.  You don't need collateral damage in dealing with this.  You need to file a police report and tell them you are putting up a surveilance system to catch them.  Put the cops on notice and get the name of a policeman you can call when the pictures show the crooks.  Otherwise, don't leave much there that you value.  Just my opinion.  I know the tendency is to want to strike back at them, but you may be hurting somebody else.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Al_Smith

Get you some gas ,maybe 3 gallons and dissolve about 5 pounds of sugar in it and bait the rascals .Hmm now I wonder how well anti frreze and gasoline mix? Never tried it ,never had a reason to .

I'll just bet a little trip through Google would yield more goon squad ideas that a person could shake a stick at. Don't get mad get even or actually a little bit ahead . ;)

loggah

about 1/2 lb of sugar and a bottle of iodine will fix any engine good !!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

If I prosecute I get burned out.  It's just that simple.  These folks do not play fair.

The two largest employers in the county are the hospital and the sheriff's department.

Al_Smith

Actually I'm not so certain sugar could get passed the fuel filters they use today .

I'd about bet though that diesel fuel with enough gas mixed in to smell like gasoline would do the trick .It wouldn't ruin an engine , more than likely it would just plain stop .Geeze I'd about bet that  thing would smoke like it's burning pine knots before it sputtered and died on the vine .

Chris Burchfield

I wonder if finger prints could be lifted from the bolt cutters?
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Magicman

I am in a "no win" situation that I simply have to live with.  Doctoring some gasoline sounds like a wonderful way to get revenge, but in this instance it would do no good.  If they did not know/realize what happened, then what was the point?  If they, in fact, realized what I had done, then the firetruck would not be fast enough.

Several years ago I had pictures and proof of trespass and vandalism.  I went to the court house and filled out all of the proper papers, had them signed & notarized, and I personally hand delivered the warrants to the sheriff himself.  He assured me what all that he was going to do, but the warrants were never served.  I called him numerous times for an update, and there were always excuses for not serving the warrants.

It is a battle that can not be won.  My only option is to secure as best I can and live with it. 

millstead

its ashame that so many people have to put up security cameras. I own a bar and had to put them inside the bar. they are a great investment the cameras i bought are internet cameras and i can watch them at home and also on my iphone whenever i want. but then i had a few problems outside with people using my dumpsters and stealing my 55gallon barells and i had a telaphone pole hit and run my someone driving up the highway and it was my pole so i had to pay for it so i am now in the process of adding cameras to the outside of the building. and when i get done with that im going to put them at my house i had a shindiawa chainsaw stolen of the back of my flatbed truck . i know it was my fault for not locking it up. it just sad you cant leave anything out anymore . lately i have been hearing alot of people complain about having scrap metal stolen. magic im sorry that someone violated your cabin i know how you feel

beenthere

I opt for motion detecting lights, that may (or may not) cause any thieves to have some second thoughts about sticking around. Cheap to put up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

justallan1

If you are in a no win situation like you are describing then I would set up motion sensors to a siren on a timer. When it gets tripped the thieves will run, plus spread the word. If an animal sets it off, so what, it will reset itself.

doctorb

MM - Is there a different sheriff now than before?  If so, I'd try again.

If not, then I would still identify the thieves via the cameras etc.  I would then hire a "guy" to let them see the evidence of their crimes.  Not pressing charges or anything like that.  Let them know that, if it happens again, arrests are imminent.  Record all of that.  They will go somewhere else for their petty crimes.  Accepting vandalism and theft from a place that you love is no way to live.  I'd rather move to a differnt cabin than put up with this constant and unsolvable threat.  If they know that you know who they are, there will be no fire.  Make sure you have a hidden camera away from the cabin to pick up their comings and goings, and not just one at the structures.  Pricey, I know, but your solution in your previous post.....

"It is a battle that can not be won.  My only option is to secure as best I can and live with it"

is not acceptable to me.  I know all I have to do is type my opinions, and you have to act, so it's much harder for you than me.  But I think the people responsible can be "pressurized" to leave you alone.

Magicman

Same sheriff.  Some things do not change.  I understand "not acceptable" doctorb, but I can not describe our situation here on the FF because the Woodshed lurks, which would probably include me as well as the post.

Power meter jerked out and telephone wires cut before any "activity" begins.

Al_Smith

Sounds to me like the "good ole boys " are running that ship .You're right ,you can't win that battle .

Now if you have a couple county roads with your family name on them or names on the cornerstones of half a dozen buildings you might stand a chance .

rockman

Quote from: Magicman on February 09, 2013, 11:40:58 AM
Same sheriff.  Some things do not change.  I understand "not acceptable" doctorb, but I can not describe our situation here on the FF because the Woodshed lurks, which would probably include me as well as the post.

Power meter jerked out and telephone wires cut before any "activity" begins.

MM was this done the day they stole your gas?  I have to agree with everyone else, you need cameras to identify those responsible.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

Den Socling

The jerks who came with the bolt cutters didn't come to steal gas. The guys who pulled the meter might not even be the same. The cabin has been marked as easy. As suggested earlier, I would hang alarms and proximity sensors all over the place. Scare them away. That's about all you can do if the law ignores you.

DR Buck

Motion lights, cameras and a head on a stick!     I'd be camping out waiting.    smiley_hanged
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

Voodoo  smiley_skull   ???

I am ordering some battery/solar powered motion lights. 

Holmes

The Royalston house was broken into 6 years ago, it is not my actual residence. We had an alarm system installed and pay for the service yearly, around $200. The system is battery backed up so it can dial the police if the power is cut, and we had the telephone line reconfigured to enter the house thru the attic. They would need a ladder to cut that wire.  I certainly feel more comfortable about the house security when I am not there.    My yard across the road where all of my stuff is I put the alarm companies sign out where is is very visible.  I am now thinking it is time to put a video system in for that yard.   Good luck MM .   Hopefully someone will come up with the GREAT clever idea that will help all of us secure our property.   I do like the idea of doctoring the gas.  I would write "old gas" on the can and leave a gallon or so in it.   ::)
Think like a farmer.

bama20a

I like Doc's ideal, Get some pictures of them & find them,Tell them if it happens again they will go to jail.
that way they will guard your place for you.  ;D,They will tell there bud's to stay away because they will get the blame. :D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

steamsawyer

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 09, 2013, 09:42:58 AM
Get you some gas ,maybe 3 gallons and dissolve about 5 pounds of sugar in it and bait the rascals .Hmm now I wonder how well anti frreze and gasoline mix? Never tried it ,never had a reason to .

I'll just bet a little trip through Google would yield more goon squad ideas that a person could shake a stick at. Don't get mad get even or actually a little bit ahead . ;)

This worked for me about 25 years ago...

I worked at a job where the employee parking was across the street from the shop. I had an old truck that the gas guage didn't work so i always carried a 5 gallon can in the back. One day after work I saw it was gone. I never said anything but went home and made another can of gas with a 5 lb bag of sugar disolved in it. (The sugar will disolve and not lump up.)  About two weeks later the gas was gone but this time he put the empty can back in my truck. It turns out that one of the guys in another department had this misterious problem with his little VW bug. He said it was running along fine then started slowing down and the engine got stuck.
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Leigh Family Farm

Deterrence will be the most effective in this situation. There are a few things that will help:

1) Motion sensored flash bulbs. These would go off like a camera flash if they detect motion for more than 2-3 seconds. Like those red light cameras at intersections.
2) Motion sensored flood lights.
3) Interior house lamps on a timer inside the house.
4) Alarm company signs work really well.
5) DVR security camera system (Costco had one on sale for $399 - nice 8 camera job). Link it to a solar powered battery back up. Have one set up on the driveway to capture video of the vehicles and another set up lower to capture the license plates. Also post a a big sign that says they are on camera, but make sure the sign has a lot to read so that they stay still in one spot while the camera gets good video of them.

Last item: File the police report with the Sheriff, Local Police, and News Channels. Give everyone pictures, vehicle descriptions, and copies of the video. If nothing gets done in a timely manner (30 days), call the news channel to follow up for you. If nothing still gets done, send a copy of all that has occurred to your local magistrate judge and the district attorney's office. Still nothing being done? Call your local congressman and state rep. Show them all the people you have showed this to, and that nothing is being done while one of their constituents and small business owners is being vandalized. Basically, become the squeaky wheel.

Sorry to hear about this and that local law enforcement aren't doing their jobs. Good luck and let us know if you need any more ideas.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Chris Burchfield

MM, I don't know if you leave the power on at the cabin.  I could understand if you didn't, fire safety.  We leave a radio "ON" a talk radio station when we go on vacation.  Just loud enough to be heard if your standing outside a window or door.  Along with the motion solar lights, be sure the battery and panel are high enough they'd have to have a ladder to get to them.  Be safe on the ladder our friend.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Delawhere Jack

Assuming the punks can read, a few signs like this might work. 

John_Haylow

I wonder if you had a sign made saying property protected by video surveillance and then place a fake camera in view but not so easy to reach. You could even put your solar light on the same post. I would bet money they will be back.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Delawhere Jack

Where I keep my mill there is a big problem with "scrappers". Mostly drug addicts who will take any piece of metal they can carry away. They busted up the dash on the company van for a factory AM/FM radio, worth all of about nothing.

Last year the store was broken into and they took a half dozen window air conditioners. Cameras went up, highly visible under the eaves on each corner of the building. So far that has worked.

Side note. One day last fall a guy was walking down the road drunk. He decided that the cellar door display on the sidewalk would be  a good place to lay down and pass out for a while. He set down the bag he was carrying with a six pack in it. A few minutes later a kid rides by on a bike. The kid turns around, rides back and takes the beer. All caught on video.... :(

Happycamper

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Woodey

MagicMan,
Sorry to hear your having to deal with this.
Install some game cameras. They take a lot of pictures.
Check with neighbors to see if they have the any issue or might have seen someone lurking around your place.

I had a 12" porter cable chop saw stole off my back porch. I left it out overnight while making some repairs on my pump shed. I called the police they come out took a report.
He told me that the bums take what they can by walking though peoples property. If they don't BREAK and ENTER it is just a slap on the wrist. What upset me the most was the fact I just put a brand new 12" forrest blade the chop saw and made about 5 cuts. :'(

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

blackfoot griz

MM,
Sorry to hear of your problems.
My fear is that they will be back again and again because they have already gotten away with
what they've done so far.  You certainly shouldn't have to constantly worry about what is damaged, missing
whenever you think of your cabin.

I work in the insurance business and clearly, unoccupied properties are becoming more expensive--if not impossible to insure because loosers will tear the walls out to get a few bucks worth of copper. At some point if you end up having to file a claim on your cabin for the damage these punks have done, you might find that the insurance company may not renew coverage.

I am in agreement with Kilgrosh.  You've worked too hard on your cabin to just sit back and take it on the chin!
Wish I was closer to MS...I'd volunteer my time for security detail!

Magicman

Reply #34 shows why I can not depend upon anything powered.

I will be building a couple of birdhouses.  One for the game cam and one for the bluebirds.

Since I needed more motion lights anyway, I ordered 5 battery/solar powered lights yesterday.  I will add three fake surveillance cameras with the blinking LED which should prove to be a distraction for any future "visitors".  I had already seen the need for a driveway alarm with two sending units which will alert us while we are there.

The above will replace some items that were removed for the Cabin Addition, plus an old camera and motion light that had gone neglected.  I guess what I will be doing is tightening up the loose ends.

beenthere

How close are neighbors and are they having problems too?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up   Problem solved  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

One more thing,lucky they did not steal or destroy more than they did.

Magicman

What is this "neighbor" thing.   :D :D

Seriously, here it is YOYO, (you're on your own) which also includes law enforcement.

rooster 58

Lynn, So sorry that you're having trouble like this. It's a DanGed shame that you have to put up with this and can't even rely on the law for help.
    I'm very fortunate here. I live at the very edge of a natl forest and it is very rural here. Nearly everyone around me has been broken into but knock on wood I never have

Again, I hope the steps you're taking will ward off any further malevolence to you and your property

Al_Smith

If that cabin is out where the hoot owls romance the chickens there probabley are no neighbors .Even if there were and even if they saw anything is no assurity  they would fess up .

JohnM

Set gun? ???  Too much? ;) :D

Sorry to hear it MM.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Peter Drouin

to bad the law won't do there job, you did there job[the proof] with the pics you have, In NH the law would be all over that
I do wish you well :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

chain

We have a friend that went through all what you're experiencing MM, he found just the right person who wanted to live out in the boonies and be the caretaker, most all vandalism stopped very quickly.

My friend's uncle was a wealthy gentleman who had a large log clubhouse with trout spring and lake. Poachers came in by the droves until he employed a 'hired-hand' to keep up the place. Years later, the Government bought the whole place as it was located near a National Scenic River, even the furnishings were left, owner just took the check and walked out.

My best friend and I spent many a week-end fishing and hunting and used the place often. Many years later, my wife and I were invited to a house -party of which the host was selling some goods. I kept staring at a game table that looked so familiar as I had played chess and checkers many a rainy day on a similar table at the lake cabin! i asked the hostess about the table...she said ,"oh, my husband went up to the old lake place one day and found this table in the cabin, everything else had been taken so he brought it here." :o

Raider Bill

Post this picture all around the property with the caption   "I'm watching you!"  :D

Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

thecfarm

And I thought the foot picture was bad.  :D

ely

in that situation only you can make the difference, when you have had enough you will make the change.
i personally refuse to live as a hostage. those around know better than to do anything to our family... so far.
i too have an alarm/security system, it consists of 1 seventyone year old father that hears pretty well and makes rash decisions very hastily. he is never out of arms reach of various firearms.
in these times, if you are to live unmolested, you have to be prepared to make folks think you dont care if the sun comes up tomorrow.

Chuck White

You could get one of those "dog alarms"!

You know, the one that sounds like a house full of dogs when the door rattles!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

isawlogs

Oh thanks Bill, I woke up from a nap only to see that pic pop up...  :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Quote from: isawlogs on February 11, 2013, 02:33:51 PM
  Oh thanks Bill, I woke up from a nap only to see that pic pop up...  :o

Did it scare you?

Cypressstump

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 11, 2013, 08:31:42 AM
Post this picture all around the property with the caption   "I'm watching you!"  :D

And here I thought this here was a PG rated Site,,, now we got nekkid saywers sending pictures of themsleves......... :D      Raider, maybe captioned " I'll be waiting for you".... oughta do the trick. ;D
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Magicman

He came back !!   Maybe looking for his bolt cutters or either doing some scouting to see what else to get. 

My tracks as well as the golf car tracks were "mudded" over but "his" tracks are crisp and distinct.

I also know that he rode a bicycle.

I did not notice anything missing....this time.   

SPIKER

One other thing I have noticed is with the neighbors around me I DO fire my guns out there regularly just so EVERYONE knows there are guns around.   In many cases break ins are done by someone rather local.   If they KNOW you have guns and USE them regularly to practice they are a LOT LESS likely to think about your place as an easy mark...

Also HF has some 18 buck Solar Motion Lights on sale now so that might be a good place for cheap security as well as they have a full DVR setup that you can install for couple hundred bucks.

Mark

Bill

Quote from: Magicman on February 16, 2013, 05:01:32 PM
He came back !!   Maybe looking for his bolt cutters or either doing some scouting to see what else to get. 

. . .

I also know that he rode a bicycle.

I did not notice anything missing....this time.   

Sorry to hear about the thefts - I get pretty angry about that kinda thing when it happens to me. I also think they're scouting .

However - I think iffen you try to spike gas w/sugar or such you could be the one in trouble ! I think some states have laws that prevent an " attractive nuisance " . What I think that means is that you can't booby trap a new lawn mower and leave next to the street waiting for the first " victim " to try to touch/take it before it goes " boom ". 

Even though shoot shovel and shut up sounds like what they deserve - a local police chief once told me that it just plain wasn't worth your aggravation/paperwork/court time to shoot someone over a TV set - now threat to life and limb of you or a loved one - that's a different story .

Here in PA iffen someone is on your property they need to justify their lawful purpose - or put another way - shoot first and ask questions later.  ( I'd try not to be too trigger happy - you'd end up with no neighbors  ;D

If me I like the idea of battery/solar cameras and such . Also camping out there  on the quiet - no lights no noise maybe park at the neighbors. Take lots of pic's and call the local police . Iffen they don't " fix " it - I agree - keep on telling more folks on up the line . Most crimes used to happen on Friday/Saturday nights - I suppose because most people had jobs M-F and just wanted extra pocket money ( or thought people wouldn't be home ? ) .

As other(s) have said - iffen I was closer I'd be glad to help with the security detail . . .

Good Luck

isawlogs

I don't think like some of you... Why would one go there on a bike to rob you ???  This can't be a neighbour or an aquaintance going there to see you? ...  Scouting, if you had been there you would of known what he/she looked like, sure don't sound right to me for a scout.... Different worlds I guess.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Buck

Mr Lynn, I think you are on the right track with your ideas. After looking into cameras I too think that disguised game cameras are the way to go. I am currently using driveway alarms and motion lights since I was last "hit". Dang alarm runs me crazy but I got absolutely no help from local authorities. Game cameras are more advanced and really do a good job. Thugs will disarm video surveillance just like your electricity and phone. I wonder what they would have tried if someone was there?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

Quote from: isawlogs on February 17, 2013, 09:47:31 AMDifferent worlds I guess. 
Yes, very different world.

When we are not there, the gate is closed and locked.  That is a strong indication that no one is there and also is a strong invitation for someone to make a "visit".  The gate is over 300 yards from the Cabin and it is over a mile to the closest neighbor so a bicycle is the perfect reconnaissance vehicle.

SPIKER

I'm willing to bet it was the local KIDS that were 4wheeling and saw a chance to refill the quad's/gator's tank with gas & kept going.    the universal key was left by accident probably in the darkness or when they heard someone coming up the road.   The bike ride back was one to retrieve DAD's universal lock tool which you already found..

the Solar Lights are good to keep some of those trespass issues down.

Mark

beenthere

Play with their minds a bit.
Leave the gate closed while there and open when you are gone.  :snowball: ;)
south central Wisconsin

Dave Shepard

How about a sign on the cabin that says "If you've made it this far, your picture has already been uploaded to the internet three times"?  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

gunman63

It could be  worse, u could be the  guy that is from Baker , Minn. the thieves stole his whole building, he  bought a used  building and was tearing it down, to reuse it, had all the  tin off, the  thieves came and  unbolted the steel frame and carted it away, and people watched them do it, this  was  just in the news this week,  but im not  sure how to  post the link.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Bill Johnson

Turns out it really wasn't stolen after all.  Here's the followup story

EARLIER: Thieves swipe entire Baker, Minn., landscaping building
BAKER, Minn. – A metal building reported stolen here this week has been found in the possession of a Barnesville-area man who made a deal for the building five years ago, the Clay County Sheriff's Office says.

Detective Jason Hicks called it "simply a misun-derstanding" and said authorities have no reason to suspect any criminal activity on the man's part.

"He thought it was legit-imately his and didn't realize he was doing any-thing wrong," Hicks said.

Lance Akers reported the building stolen on Wednesday. He said he took possession of the building, which sat along the railroad tracks next to the grain elevator in Baker, about three weeks ago and prepped it to be moved to his landscaping business near his home on Lake Lizzie northeast of Pelican Rapids.

The building had been stripped down to its framework, with the metal roofing and siding piled next to it. But when Akers drove by the site early Wednesday, everything was gone, he said.

Akers said today he now expects to take possession of the building next week.

"It's just funny the way it all worked out," he said.

According to Akers and Hicks, the Barnesville-area man who took the building had made a deal with the lessee of the elevator about five years ago, trading him a car for the building.

Hicks said the building later went into tax default and was sold by the county at auction. Akers said the Otter Tail Valley Railroad owned it at the time he made a deal for the building in exchange for taking down some grain bins for the railroad.

Akers said he wasn't aware of the previous deal for the building, and he called the situation a "major misunderstanding."

Bill

WH_Conley

I just read that a couple of counties west of us, thieves broke in the dog pound and stole a safe that contained drugs and needles they use to put dogs down. The newspaper article did not say anything about suspects. I guess they will just wait and see who ends up dead.
Bill

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!